Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #241
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with you entirely, but it needs to change at the EU level; national governments can't make the change. Hence my earlier remark that there was little point in talking to the government about it.
Luxembourg and France have charged their lower rate of VAT on ebooks for three years now. The case is still going through the EU courts.

The UK government could decide to charge 0% VAT on ebooks. But they would (eventually!) get taken to the EU courts about it.

There are some moves in the EU to get audiobooks and ebooks reclassified so that countries can apply their reduced VAT rates to them. I hope that happens at some point.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #242
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
It has little to do with our government. VAT rules are set by the EU, not national governments.

Our 20% VAT rate is in the mid-range. Some are lower, some are higher, but 20% is typical.
From my limited understanding the local governments have to agree to that EU stuff. It isn't like they just get to willy nilly slam in on all of them. 20 percent tax on anything is very high.

And yes, it really does affect us authors. Not only is it one more thing we have to keep track of at various retailers (how to price our books--I have to price with vat at Amazon, but without it at Kobo, but with it at Smashwords, etc) it's also a deterrent to buying books and that is NEVER good!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #243
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
From my limited understanding the local governments have to agree to that EU stuff. It isn't like they just get to willy nilly slam in on all of them.
EU directives (which this is) are legally binding on all member states. Each national government has to pass the appropriate law in its own country to enforce it, which they are obliged to do by the treaty they signed to join the EU.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #244
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
EU directives (which this is) are legally binding on all member states. Each national government has to pass the appropriate law in its own country to enforce it, which they are obliged to do by the treaty they signed to join the EU.
So leave it. If the rules become onerous (or the taxes) the benefit to the country and its citizens should change. It's still the "local" governments that have to make the change.

Of course politicians love to say their hands are tied...it's either 'the other party" as the excuse or 'our hands are tied.'
Old 01-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #245
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From my limited understanding the local governments have to agree to that EU stuff. It isn't like they just get to willy nilly slam in on all of them. 20 percent tax on anything is very high.
General discussion of the merits of VAT and sales tax rates should be kept to the P&R forum please.

Here we're only discussing the rates of VAT as applied to paperbooks and ebooks, and in particular the changes that came in on 1st January 2015.
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #246
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
General discussion of the merits of VAT and sales tax rates should be kept to the P&R forum please.

Here we're only discussing the rates of VAT as applied to paperbooks and ebooks, and in particular the changes that came in on 1st January 2015.
Oh sorry. I only meant that as a general comment. My dismay is probably too personal as it affects sales.

Last edited by BearMountainBooks; 01-02-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #247
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Oh sorry. I only meant that as a general comment. My dismay is probably too personal as it effects sales.
That's OK, I just don't want a political discussion about tax rates in the general forums, and this topic might well veer that way if we're not careful.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #248
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Oh sorry. I only meant that as a general comment. My dismay is probably too personal as it affects sales.
I feel for you as it affects the number of books I can buy. Literally where I could buy 6 I can only buy 5 now
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #249
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I feel for you as it affects the number of books I can buy. Literally where I could buy 6 I can only buy 5 now
I wonder if price increases/additional taxes will convince some people to start joining subscription services like SCRIBD...
Old 01-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #250
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I wonder if price increases/additional taxes will convince some people to start joining subscription services like SCRIBD...
I mainly buy from Dreamspinner Press, if they as a publisher joined a subscription service I'd be tempted.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #251
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
While they only allow me to read at a tablet with their own apps, no.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #252
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
While they only allow me to read at a tablet with their own apps, no.
I have a sub at SCRIBD and that's the one thing that bothers me as well. I have to read on my laptop and I don't enjoy that.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #253
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Use Tax? In most US states, if you buy a product for use or consumption in your state, you are obliged to pay your state's rate of sales tax on it if you have not already paid the sales tax in another US state.

Of course, many people don't pay the tax, but that doesn't make it any the less a legal obligation to do so.
This is correct. Since I'm "returning" to the US with the ebook, I am required to pay 7% Use/Sales tax.

One last thing. I don't have to pay use tax on VAT if the receipt is itemized showing the amount of VAT paid (some tourist areas do this). If the price includes VAT as it generally does then I must pay tax on the tax.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #254
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
This is correct. Since I'm "returning" to the US with the ebook, I am required to pay 7% Use/Sales tax.

One last thing. I don't have to pay use tax on VAT if the receipt is itemized showing the amount of VAT paid (some tourist areas do this). If the price includes VAT as it generally does then I must pay tax on the tax.
So you actually pay it voluntarily? I mean when you use false information to buy the book why do you not accept falsehood and not pay the tax?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #255
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So you actually pay it voluntarily? I mean when you use false information to buy the book why do you not accept falsehood and not pay the tax?
When I wrote "One last thing" I meant it
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote