Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
distant.star
I would prefer not to.
distant.star began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Poetry Formatting

I have a question for those who read poetry on this device.

Are poems formatted correctly?

I've ordered the device but don't have it yet. And I have no experience with any e-reader.

What little poetry I see on the Internet is haphazard at best. Sometimes the formatting is correct, most times it's not. I'm curious what to expect from this device.

Thanks.
distant.star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by distant.star View Post
What little poetry I see on the Internet is haphazard at best. Sometimes the formatting is correct, most times it's not. I'm curious what to expect from this device.
Thanks.
The only poetry I have on my K3 is Poe's and it is not as you would find it printed, but quite readable. I think that most will be, as you have seen, "haphazard at best".

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately Amazon's MobiPocket format (*.mobi, *.azw) hog-ties a lot of the CSS which is used to control formatting. Couple that with the fact that a lot of publishers really don't understand ebook formatting concepts, and you get some horrible looking poetry formatting. Can poetry be formatted correctly in MobiPocket? Yes. Should you expect it to be? Probably not, at least until publishers become more critical of how their books look on ebook readers. At current most publishers treat ebooks as an afterthought. And most publishers are still living in their limited typesetting world. Until 2 or 3 years ago most publishers rarely even saved the electronic files used to create their printed books!

Last edited by jswinden; 09-05-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, DistantStar. My own wee house publishes two sole-authored poetry collections each year (they always lose money, but who cares?). They don't always work in ebook form because of -- well, let's say -- eccentric layout. We've overcome this problem in tandem with our poetry editor, Sam Smith, and his authors in some formats. But it's a headache. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
distant.star
I would prefer not to.
distant.star began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the well-informed responses.

I was hoping against hope for a different answer. Perhaps the future will provide a better experience. I guess we all hope that.
distant.star is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Who knows, DistantStar? My guess would be that it's coming soon. After all, the devices we have could quite accurately be called prototypes.

Some of my own house's poetry collections do convert, but some in unusual layout form are available in only paperback and PDF for this very reason. And PDF ain't too hot on a Kindle.

I'm having internet problems just now, but if you email me in a couple of days, I'll happily send you, with our compliments, a recent poetry release of ours that's available in Mobi and will work fine on your reader. If you visit our site (www.bewrite.net) you'll find details, extract and author bio on the front page of the store section to go with *Repulsion Thrust*.

Cheers. Neil -- ntmarrATbewrite.net (but use the @ sign)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by distant.star View Post
I have a question for those who read poetry on this device.

This really depend on the individual book. It's possible to do really quite good poetry formatting on the Kindle, but it's tricky.

Mostly poems are OK, but wrapping lines are often poor.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote