Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
elewton
elewton began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Unable to update.

Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem.

No matter what firmware version I use, the Hanlin shows a red light, sounds 6 long beeps and says
"Invalidate File
Please Check Your Update File".

I've tried copying V3update.bin on two different SD cards (freshly formatted FAT16 and FAT32) using 2 different computers under XP and Linux.

The Hanlin works fine when I reset it, but I'd really like .lit support..

I'd appreciate any advice,
Eric
elewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
raymie67
raymie67 began at the beginning.

Device: BEBOOK
Are the cards 1GB or under, FAT32 will not work, if the card is 1GB or less and the file is on the root of the card already I would suggest downloading it again
raymie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
elewton

Thanks. Yep.
128 and 256 MB. I used FAT16 but tried the others just to make sure.
I've downloaded it 4 times and tested the archive.

Thanks though .
Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
The guys at OpenInkpot have suggested that formatting your SD card using the regular Windows formatter sometimes does not work. They suggest using the Panasonic SD card formatter.

Mind you, I haven't needed to try the Panasonic software myself, as my SD card works properly as is.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewton View Post
No matter what firmware version I use, the Hanlin shows a red light, sounds 6 long beeps and says
"Invalidate File
Please Check Your Update File".
Which of the two update procedures do you use?

Trying a firmware update from within the menu is known to be a fragile procedure that often fails. Switching the device on with the Volume+ key pressed down works much more reliably.

Other than that, SD Card problems seem to be the most common failure cause.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
The guys at OpenInkpot have suggested that formatting your SD card using the regular Windows formatter sometimes does not work. They suggest using the Panasonic SD card formatter.

Mind you, I haven't needed to try the Panasonic software myself, as my SD card works properly as is.
Correct, I found this as I had similar problems.. Used 4 differend SD cards, all formatted using FAT16 on windows Vista.. none worked until I discovered this utility. After using that I could update the firmware immediately using the same previous failing SD cards.
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
elewton

I can't believe that worked. And did LINUX not obey standards for FAT16?

We should definitely put that in a FAQ at the top. I love you guys!

Thanks again,
Eric
Old 09-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #8
ricou
Enthusiast
ricou doesn't litterricou doesn't litter

Device: bebook
wow I have the same issue (I posted ot somewhere else on the forum).
I will try the panasonic sd format !
ricou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
garthoid
Enthusiast
garthoid is on a distinguished road

Device: axim, bebook, BPDN
I have a different update problem. Its get to step "5. Update Resource" and stops. So now I am stuck.

Not sure what to do next fearing I may "brick" my unit.

Any thoughts?
garthoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthoid View Post
I have a different update problem. Its get to step "5. Update Resource" and stops. So now I am stuck.

Any thoughts?
Garthoid, are you getting a flashing red status light and five (or six) beeps when you turn on the unit? That's what was happening to me. I tried to reflash the firmware to see if it would correct the issue and it kept getting stuck at the fourth or fifth step. I finally discovered that it was a battery issue: I took the battery out and plugged into the USB cable (attached to my PC) and the unit booted without any problems. I was also able to reflash the firmware successfully without the battery installed. Frankly, I think the battery provided is not of very good quality. I went out and purchased a real Nokia battery and now my BeBook is working perfectly! Plus, the Nokia battery seems to be holding a charge longer.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Just restart the update process.. Happens to me as well once in a while. Don't worry, the firmware flasher will still be intact (I believe it's even a protected piece on the flash)
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
garthoid
Enthusiast

Thanks Moe,

I get as far as the 5th step ("Update Resource") and then the red light remains on.

I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately the result was the same. I may try recopying the firmware to the card.

I do hear the beeps when I turn the unit on (with V+ depressed) and then again after the firmware flash screen appears. This I perceive as normal. There are no more beeps after that. Just the solid red light.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #13
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Quote:
Thanks Moe,

I get as far as the 5th step ("Update Resource") and then the red light remains on.

I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately the result was the same. I may try recopying the firmware to the card.

I do hear the beeps when I turn the unit on (with V+ depressed) and then again after the firmware flash screen appears. This I perceive as normal. There are no more beeps after that. Just the solid red light.
Sorry it didn't help. I guess you are not experiencing the same problem as me. I hope you can find a solution for your issue.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
garthoid
Enthusiast

I have tried updating several times. I also tried version 1.26 of firmware. I have also:
- formatted sd card with the panasonic tool identified win this thread.
- I have downloaded with chrome and firefox.

In all cases it gets to "5. Update Resource" and just hangs. Red light is constant.

I am at my wits end. I now have an unusable device.

:-(
Old 09-25-2008, 12:16 AM   #15
sankar10
sankar10 began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3
Quote:
I have tried updating several times. I also tried version 1.26 of firmware. I have also:
- formatted sd card with the panasonic tool identified win this thread.
- I have downloaded with chrome and firefox.

In all cases it gets to "5. Update Resource" and just hangs. Red light is constant.

I am at my wits end. I now have an unusable device.

:-(
Just a suggestion did you try resetting the device and did you update with charger on , it could be a power problem
sankar10 is offline   Reply With Quote