Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Is 3G worth the additional $60?

I have a k3 with 3g and no special offers.

I'm thinking about getting a Paperwhite. I can live with the special offers (I'm pretty sure) but I'm not sure whether the additional $60 is worth it for 3G. Is this a limited 3G that you can only download books from Amazon and access Wikipedia? or is it the full 3G like my K3 has?

I side-load most of my books, but every so often I do actually download the book directly to my K3... the 3G is invisible to me, so I never know whether I'm at a wifi hotspot or whether I'm getting the book through 3G.

If the additional cost was, maybe, $30, it would be a no-brainer, but $60 is considerable, especially if it's a limited version.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Sounds to me like you don't need it
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The 3G is limited to Amazon and wiki. It is not like the 3G on your KK. For most people, I don't think the extra $60 is worth it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
No, it doesn't sound like it. bummer.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I'd rather use wifi and spend the $60 on books
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
IMHO, the 3G does not worth it. Wifi is everywhere nowadays
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I'd rather use wifi and spend the $60 on books
This my feeling as well. My PW was upgraded to 3G for free due to having so many issues and, I have to say, it is nice. At work we don't have wi-fi, but truthfully I can easily download anything I want before leaving home. So for me, while nice as a free upgrade, I was perfectly fine without it and I wouldn't spend the extra money.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
It depends on what you have available to you. I bought my wireless Kindle and Nook before we had wireless at home. I could easily get to the library, McDonalds or the clinic (all with free download) to download my books at least once a week, so totally not worth the $60 to me. However, my Dad's elderly cousin or my disabled brother never get out - for them, the 3G is almost a necessity (especially since the cousin doesn't even have a computer to side load).

So - the question is - do you travel a lot within the US? If you do, having 3G will be a lot easier (and likely cheaper) for you. I don't know if the 3g for american units works in Europe - something to check if you travel there. On the other hand, considering that you can load up a lifetime of reading material on your ereader at once, those rare times when you actually NEED to download something (such as the recent software upgrade) are few and far between.

The point is - can you easily access wireless for cheap/free? If not, 3G may be worth it to you.

Finally, I don't get daily newspapers. That could be another factor for some. I can also tell you that I can really appreciate instant buying when I come to the end of a book in a series and immediately want the next book. :0

Last edited by Tarana; 11-04-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I subscribe to newspapers and travel a lot - to me, it's worth it.
But I think it's a highly subjective call.
For buying books, it's hard to justify. Then again, I guess it depends on you having, or not having, wifi at home.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It depends on how long you plan on using it. I travel a lot and would not be without it (the $60 premium gave me pause, but in the end I'm glad to have 3g). Wifi may be 'everywhere' but it is still not nearly as convenient.

If I had a smartphone I could tether to, then I might do without it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've never seen the point of the 3G version to be honest. On the kindle keyboard I felt that the web browser
was too cumbersome to make use if it. I don't need it for downloading books. I have my kindle well stocked up with books, I have hundreds that are unread, so couldn't see the need to download books when I'm away from home. However if I ever felt the need I'd just tether it to my phone.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I have a k3 with 3g and no special offers.

I'm thinking about getting a Paperwhite. I can live with the special offers (I'm pretty sure) but I'm not sure whether the additional $60 is worth it for 3G. Is this a limited 3G that you can only download books from Amazon and access Wikipedia? or is it the full 3G like my K3 has?

I side-load most of my books, but every so often I do actually download the book directly to my K3... the 3G is invisible to me, so I never know whether I'm at a wifi hotspot or whether I'm getting the book through 3G.

If the additional cost was, maybe, $30, it would be a no-brainer, but $60 is considerable, especially if it's a limited version.
The extra premium is no longer worth it, IMHO. I have had 3G on all my previous Kindles due to extensive traveling and, frankly, rarely used it. I am now using a Wifi-only PW and saved the $60. I do have the capability of tethering to my 4G phone if needed but Wifi has proven to be adequate.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
I also agree that 3G isn't worth it unless you really plan to use it, especially now that browsing is limited to Amazon and Wikipedia. I have 3G on my Kindle Keyboard in case I'm traveling internationally and can't get WiFi for things like checking my email, but I personally wouldn't get a 3G version of the newer Kindles. Obviously there are others in this thread that find it useful, but I feel that it's one of those things where if you have to ask yourself whether or not you'll use it, you're probably better off saving your money.

Last edited by AZImmortal; 11-04-2012 at 08:50 PM.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
While my Kindle keyboard has it, I have not used 3G hardly at all. My next Kindle will be wifi only.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Now that syncing between Kindle and Kindle App is possible with personal documents including non-amazon books, the 3G can be used for that if no wifi is available. Of course if your Kindle is the only reading device, that won't make much difference.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote