Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #5701
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Dresden Files Fan Filming - "Casting: Part 1"

Harry Dresden

Published on Jul 29, 2013

A video of our casting process. Featuring auditions and interviews from our cast.

The Dresden Files belongs to Jim Butcher. We own nothing and are just very excited fans.
Quote:
I posted this video before, back in August of 2013. I'm posting it again because it's still kinda' interesting and I wanted to test out this new way of posting youtube videos. The graphic at the top that looks like a video frame is just a picture, but mouse-clicking on it will take you to the youtube page where the video actually resides. - Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #5702
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
But it isn't Harry's fault?
Oh, actually .....

It would be great what he would do if he actually tried to do property damage. The last times it happened on accident will look like child's play in comparison. Besides, Harry got stronger magically speaking throughout the books.

"Hey, it wasn't my fault that this building accidentally was build on the block I just blew up."
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #5703
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Harry__Mouse_and_Mister_by_LadyGawain

Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #5704
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

That is a different version of Mouse than is stuck in my head by seeing all those all the same looking pictures of Mouse. Almost looks like Mister got a long tail - or that is a cat pillow (unlikely).

Not saying the picture is wrong, it is just differently interpreted. After all it is art. If I had to vote on realism (haha funny for a fiction book), then I would have to give a big thumbs down for attention of detail.

One thing that I do like - not everybody copycats what is out there already.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #5705
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Harry Dresden and the ladies...

Advert
Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #5706
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
There are quite a few strong female characters in The Dresden Files.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #5707
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dresden Files characters by Mika Kuloda...

Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #5708
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

I absolutely love these ones. They're all pretty much bang on how I've pictured everyone in my mind.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #5709
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Part of a Q&A session from May 2014...

domino7: “What would happen to someone who spends a year or more in the nevernever, eating nevernever food, breathing nevernever air, then returns to the real world? Do they get sick/die as all the ectoplasmic stuff in their bodies turns to goo, or does it metaphysically become one with them?”

Butcher: “They get sick and die. That’s why you shouldn’t eat Faerie Food. After, what is it, seven years or so, you’ve completely replaced the cells in your body with new cells. If they all come from faerie food, you just glorp to the floor. I think there might be some brain left.”

-------------

Nicolasmilioni: “How does a Faerie gain power? How would a weak goblin become like the Erlking? Or a weak gruff become like the eldest gruff?”

Butcher: “Time, effort, and will. Keep an eye on Toot-toot.”

-------------

Deusmalusest: “Is The Erlking a mantle in the same way as the other Fae titles? I know he’s referred to as Herne at one point in Cold Days, so that got me thinking, considering that he’s also (if I remember correctly) the Summer King.”

Butcher: ”There is no such thing as a Summer King in the Dresden Files faerie cosmology. Mab and Titania need a King like a fish needs a bicycle. There are a ton of independent rulers of the Wyld, though, much like the Erlking, who is a member of the Winter Court more or less as a sign of courtesy and respect. They will occasionally make alliances (and dalliances) with the great rulers of the Sidhe.”

-------------

EndlessKng: “If someone owes a being with a mantle a favor (say someone owed Lloyd a favor), and that mantle passes to someone before the favor was called in (to, say, a certain Chicago Wizard), does the person who receives the mantle get the favor? Also, if a unique denizen of Faerie akin to Cat Sith were to die, does it have a mantle that passes on? Would the next-eldest malk be able to get more powerful?”

Butcher: Depends of the nature of the mantle. Not all of them are all about obligation, the way the Faerie mantles are. But as far as Faerie mantles go, yes. If you owed Maeve a favor when Maeve was the Winter Lady, you don’t get out of your debt just because there’s a new Winter Lady in town. Molly is the one who is going to collect now. The mantle of Eldest is an important one in Faerie, and yes, it would pass on should its bearer perish.”

Old 03-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #5710
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Hades god of the underworld...

Old 03-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #5711
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thank you Alan for your hard work.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #5712
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Cerberus...

Quote:
Hades said, “Do you know my dog’s name?”
“Cerberus,” I said promptly. “But everyone knows that.”
“Do you know what it means?”
I opened my mouth and closed it again. I shook my head.
“It is from an ancient word, kerberos. It means ‘spotted.’”
I blinked. “You’re a genuine Greek god. You’re the Lord of the Underworld. And . . . you named your dog Spot?”
“Who’s a good dog?” Hades said, scratching the third head behind the ears, and making the beast’s mouth drop open in a doggy grin. “Spot is. Yes, he is.”
I couldn’t help it. I laughed.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #5713
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Some info on Mirror, Mirror (Book 17)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dresden%2BFiles%2B16.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	136511
We know a bit of what to expect in Peace Talks (Book 16), but what has Jim told us so far about book 17?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dresden%2BFiles%2B17.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	136512
Mirror, Mirror (Book 17) The following info and quotes have been selected from Jim's Q&A at DragonCon 2014.

Title: It's called Mirror Mirror.

"The next book after this one is called Mirror Mirror and there's just going to be eye patches and goatees and everything."

Premise: The Dresden Files universe in which one choice is different.

"Kind of the idea is I want to change one choice and make a universe that's different by one choice and see what happens and that will be a great deal of fun for me. Probably not for Dresden though, but you know he's no fun, he's such a wet blanket, he's always complaining."

Content: Evil Harry will Manifest
"Will evil Harry ever truly manifest? Well we'll get to see that yeah."
-------------------------
I seems to me that Jim is planning to create a parallel universe along these lines:

Quote:
Mirror universe

"They were brutal, savage, unprincipled, uncivilized, treacherous..."
– Spock, 2267 ("Mirror, Mirror")

The "mirror universe" is the informal name for the parallel universe first recorded as visited by James T. Kirk and several officers from the USS Enterprise in 2267. This parallel universe coexists with the prime universe on another dimensional plane. The mirror universe was so named because many people and places seemed to be opposites of their characteristics in the prime universe, with numerous good aspects now evil and vice versa, thus "mirror"-like. (TOS: "Mirror, Mirror")

Last edited by alansplace; 03-28-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #5714
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool One last Hades with Spot...

Old 03-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #5715
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I absolutely love these ones. They're all pretty much bang on how I've pictured everyone in my mind.
Agreed. These are gorgeous.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy