Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #1936
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Hmmm...I get 216!! But then I'm bad at math...oh well!

I could have lost a day while traveling.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #1937
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Hmmm...I get 216!! But then I'm bad at math...oh well!

You are correct, it was 216 yesterday. Today it's:

215 DAYS!!!
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #1938
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm so glad you guys introduced me to Codex Alera. While it's not Harry, it's such a great series so far that I've actually gone 3 straight days without wanting to reread The Dresden Files. I don't think I'm going to make it to November before starting my reread of the series though. I wanted to get through them right before starting Skin Game, but that isn't going to happen .

I am definitely reading Codex Alera right through though. I can't stop myself .
Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #1939
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool A Conversation with Jim Butcher - April 6, 2013

Quote:
I'll add the next part [part 3] of this interview to this post next Friday.
DONE

Last edited by alansplace; 05-02-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: oops...
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #1940
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post

I am definitely reading Codex Alera right through though. I can't stop myself .
Did anyone else find the first half or so of the first book tough to get through?
When I read the Codex Alera, I really had to slog it out for a while before I got completely hooked.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #1941
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Codex Alera

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Did anyone else find the first half or so of the first book tough to get through?
When I read the Codex Alera, I really had to slog it out for a while before I got completely hooked.
It's been a while since I read it. I read all six books straight through, back to back. But I do remember Furies of Calderon starting with Amara being kidnapped and placed in peril quite quickly, so I'm not sure I understand what your slogging it out was in reaction to.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #1942
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
It's been a while since I read it. I read all six books straight through, back to back. But I do remember Furies of Calderon starting with Amara being kidnapped and placed in peril quite quickly, so I'm not sure I understand what your slogging it out was in reaction to.

It's been quite awhile myself, but I remember finding it difficult to get into the concept of the furies.
I also found myself wondering if I had missed a previous book, as it seemed to me that I should already know the history and general physics of the world.
Musta just been me, I guess. :P
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #1943
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Codex Alera

Quote:
It's been quite awhile myself, but I remember finding it difficult to get into the concept of the furies.
I also found myself wondering if I had missed a previous book, as it seemed to me that I should already know the history and general physics of the world.
Ahh...I see now.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #1944
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
I had the same problem. I figured maybe I wasn't paying enough attention or something. I think I understand most of it now. I'm almost done the 3rd book and I'm still learning more about them. I really enjoy all the action. It seems like you can't go 5 pages without something exciting happening. The characters are great too, even the bad ones. Jim really has a knack for getting you involved with his characters.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #1945
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Quote:
Are they anything like the three classical Greek Furies?

Give David Weber's "Path of the Fury" a try. It has the last survivor of the Furies, Tisiphone, as a main character. It was re-released as "In Fury Born" with a prequel that's longer than the original book and some edits to the original to fit with the expanded backstory of Alicia DeVries, who becomes Tisiphone's human host.

No spoilers to say that Tisiphone helps Alicia carry out the literal Greek to English translation of the spirit's name, avenging murder.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #1946
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Furies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Are they anything like the three classical Greek Furies?...
No...Furies are elemental spirits (earth, water, fire, wind, metal, and wood) that inhabit Alera.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #1947
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher Book Signing Tribeca NYC

A snippet of the Q&A section before the book signing on 8/22/11 :-)

Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #1948
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Owl - Cold Days

Cold days *** spoiler alert ***

Dresden Files Cold Days - Jim Butcher - talking owl

Quote:
“I've had sex that didn't feel as good as Maeve's smile.”
Harry ― Cold Days
Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #1949
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Polka will never die!

Waldo Butters and his one-man-polka-band!

Last edited by alansplace; 05-07-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #1950
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I was referencing the post before... I thought it was obvious but I guess not.
Not everyone views posts in threaded mode that keeps the reply with the thread (branch).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy