Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #1891
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool comics & Alera

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Last night I read the first three Ghoul Goblin comics. Based on the releases so far, I'm hoping the next is released very soon.
A short while back after you'd said that you'd just opened an account at COMIXOLOGY I did so too, and downloadad one of the freebies to see if I would be interested in today's comics. Well I wasn't. I'll just keep on reading books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I'm on to book 2 in Codex Alera. I'm so hooked. I knew this would happen . The first one really reminded me of A Song of Ice and Fire...but much cleaner . Jim is such a great writer, I really like all of his characters in all his books that I've read.

Did anyone else have an issue with words running together on your kindle versions? Quite a few pages I would have a sentence that looks like this: "...adding to the blubberyfat beneath its hide", really weird .
I read the first one with trepidation and then the rest of the six books immediately afterward, back to back. No more trepidation! No, I don't remember having the problem you describe.

Last edited by alansplace; 04-13-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: oops...
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #1892
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I'm on to book 2 in Codex Alera. I'm so hooked. I knew this would happen . The first one really reminded me of A Song of Ice and Fire...but much cleaner . Jim is such a great writer, I really like all of his characters in all his books that I've read.
I've been meaning to read that series for the longest time. I remember he said something about the series arising from someone challenging him to combine the Roman Empire and Pokemon, or something like that.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #1893
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Short interruption of the wait for the next Dresden book ...

... has anybody read "Rivers of London" (or "Midnight Riot" as it was published in the US) by Ben Aaronovitch?

I have picked that up on a suggestion from a friend and really enjoyed it, also Urban Fantasy, also very funny, and definitely something that I would endorse to fellow Dresden fans without any reservation.

The book (first of currently 3 available) is about Peter Grant, a young police constable in London, who at the end of this probational period is confronted with an unlikely witness to a murder - a ghost who claims to have seen the crime.

When he later - obviously against better judgement and common sense - shares this encounter with colleagues, he is surprised to get assigned to a special branch of the London Police that currently comprises only a single inspector.

Said inspector happens to be the last wizard in London who is in charge of supernatural investigations, and who takes on PC grant as his apprentice.

Plus, the book is currently available ridicuously cheap as Kindle ebook ... $ 3.92 for the "Rivers of London" edition (The supposedly identical "Midnight Riot" edition sells for $ 5,76 ), so I would advise anybody who likes Harry Dresden to try that one out.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #1894
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool lost Roman Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I've been meaning to read that series for the longest time. I remember he said something about the series arising from someone challenging him to combine the Roman Empire and Pokemon, or something like that.
Pretty close, Carl. It was actually to combine a lost Roman Legion with Pokemon.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #1895
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Pretty close, Carl. It was actually to combine a lost Roman Legion with Pokemon.

That's hilarious .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #1896
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I read the first one with trepidation and then the rest of the six books immediately afterward, back to back. No more trepidation! No, I don't remember having the problem you describe.

Hmmmm, not sure why it's happening to mine. I've found a couple more isuues in this book too with 2 words strung together. I'll just fix them manually .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #1897
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool manually...

Quote:
Hmmmm, not sure why it's happening to mine. I've found a couple more isuues in this book too with 2 words strung together. I'll just fix them manually .
I fix stuff manually so often that I may have forgotten that a particular book may have had a few places where I did so.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #1898
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Why We Like It -- The Dresden Files

Published on Apr 7, 2013

Why We Like It -- The show where best friends Sean "Day[9]" Plott and Tristan Brand talk about their favorite stories from books, television shows, movies, video games, comics, and more! In the third episode, Sean and Tristan discuss Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files."

WARNING: EPISODE CONTAINS SIGNIFICANT SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST TWELVE BOOKS!

Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #1899
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post

... has anybody read "Rivers of London" (or "Midnight Riot" as it was published in the US) by Ben Aaronovitch?

[Snip]

Best regards,
Andy
Thank you for reminding me of that, had it already sitting in my TBR pile and started reading it yesterday. I like it quite a bit so far.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #1900
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series

Quote:

... has anybody read "Rivers of London" (or "Midnight Riot" as it was published in the US) by Ben Aaronovitch?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Thank you for reminding me of that, had it already sitting in my TBR pile and started reading it yesterday. I like it quite a bit so far.
Ahh...the reference to London influenced me to remember and start on the book I'm reading right now, Cursed (Alex Verus #2) by Benedict Jacka. Some time ago Jim Butcher mentioned this author/series in an interview and I gave the first one in the series, Fated (Alex Verus #1) a read, liked it a lot and put the rest of the series on my TBR list:

Fated (2012)
Cursed (2012)
Taken (2012)
Chosen, slated for September 2013

On the cover of Fated is this text:

Quote:
'Books this good remind me
why I got into the storytelling
business in the first place'
JIM BUTCHER
...and in the book is this paragrapth:

Quote:
Those of us who do like visitors have to advertise, and it’s tricky to find a way of doing it that doesn’t make you sound crazy. The majority rely on word of mouth, though younger mages use the internet. I’ve even heard of one guy in Chicago who advertises in the phone book under ‘Wizard’, though that’s probably an urban legend. Me, I have my shop. Wiccans and pagans and New-Agers are common enough nowadays that people accept the idea of a magic shop, or at least they understand that the weirdos have to buy their stuff from somewhere. Of course, they take for granted that it’s all a con and that the stuff in my shop is no more magical than an old pair of socks, and for the most part they’re right. But the stuff in my shop that isn’t magical is good camouflage for the stuff that is, like the thing sitting upstairs in a little blue lacquered cylinder that can grant any five wishes you ask. If that ever got out, I’d have much worse problems than the occasional snigger.
...and on the cover of Cursed is this text:

Quote:
"Harry Dresden would like
Alex Verus tremendously--
and be a little nervous
around him.
I just added Benedict Jacka
to my must-read list"
--JIM BUTCHER
Benedict Jacka's website is here.

Last edited by alansplace; 04-17-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: oops...
Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #1901
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Yes the Alex Verus books are also good reads indeed.
I think it's a nice contrast to Dresden too, since he can't use any kind of offensive magic to get him out of trouble.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #1902
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I ordered Fated through Amazon (paper version I'm afraid). According to the tracker it has arrived at my local post office and they attempted delivery (which really means the box would not fit in my post office box so they are leaving a notice card of a parcel).

With any luck it will be waiting for me when I get home.

I really need a good book to read.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #1903
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Sue, the star of Dead Beat, at home in the Field Museum!

SUE

THE FIELD MUSEUM

HARRY RIDING SUE

Last edited by alansplace; 04-17-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #1904
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Thanks for the heads up about the Alex Verus novels.
Have just loaded "Taken" on my Kindle and will look into it tomorrow...

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #1905
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Ben Aaronovitch

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up about the Alex Verus novels.
Have just loaded "Taken" on my Kindle and will look into it tomorrow...

Best regards,
Andy
You're welcome. Oh and I forgot to for the tip on the Ben Aaronovitch books, but since they appear not to be listed at that price here in the U.S., I put off further investigation into them till a future date.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy