Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
ezzkmo
igloo appraiser
ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Keyboard
Books reappearing in collections

Not sure what's going on...but I have about 8-10 books on my Paperwhite 2 (out of a few hundred) that automatically reappear back in an old collection I removed them out of. Example, I have The 5th Wave in my "Science Fiction" collection, but also had it in my "Now Reading" collection for awhile while I was reading it. A few months ago I removed it from "Now Reading". Well every couple of weeks, this book magically shows back up in my "Now Reading" collection and I have to remove it again. This happens with about 10 different books with different collections. It's not just "Now Reading" collection it happens with. I had a book in my "History" collection and moved it to "Religion" and it keeps reappearing in "History". But it happens to all these books at the same time.

I have no clue if it's a cloud sync thing...but I make sure I'm online when I move them. And all the books in questions are sideloaded from Calibre (not Amazon purchases). And this only happens on my Paperwhite 2.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? Because it's annoying every couple weeks to see this group of books jump back to old collections and have to move them again.

edit:

I JUST found out that when I open my Kindle for PC, that is what is making my books jump back. So it is a cloud/sync thing. But the problem is that on Kindle for PC, the collections do not show my sideloaded books...so how the heck can I remove them from collections permanently?

edit2:

ok any other device i open (kindle for android, etc.) makes the books reappear in old collections. why! lol

Last edited by ezzkmo; 04-25-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: more info
ezzkmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzkmo View Post
Not sure what's going on...but I have about 8-10 books on my Paperwhite 2 (out of a few hundred) that automatically reappear back in an old collection I removed them out of. Example, I have The 5th Wave in my "Science Fiction" collection, but also had it in my "Now Reading" collection for awhile while I was reading it. A few months ago I removed it from "Now Reading". Well every couple of weeks, this book magically shows back up in my "Now Reading" collection and I have to remove it again. This happens with about 10 different books with different collections. It's not just "Now Reading" collection it happens with. I had a book in my "History" collection and moved it to "Religion" and it keeps reappearing in "History". But it happens to all these books at the same time.

I have no clue if it's a cloud sync thing...but I make sure I'm online when I move them. And all the books in questions are sideloaded from Calibre (not Amazon purchases). And this only happens on my Paperwhite 2.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? Because it's annoying every couple weeks to see this group of books jump back to old collections and have to move them again.

edit:

I JUST found out that when I open my Kindle for PC, that is what is making my books jump back. So it is a cloud/sync thing. But the problem is that on Kindle for PC, the collections do not show my sideloaded books...so how the heck can I remove them from collections permanently?

edit2:

ok any other device i open (kindle for android, etc.) makes the books reappear in old collections. why! lol
I don't think it is the kindle for pc app, it was my understanding from a CS rep that when the Cloud Collections went live the syncing on the old devices were no longer being updated to their servers. However, I found on my android apps I had a few books were showing up in collections that no longer existed. I deregistered it then cleared the cache/data for the app and then re-registered it. That might help you. What other devices do you have on your account??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
ezzkmo
igloo appraiser
ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Keyboard
I have a Nexus 7, Moto X, Kindle Cloud, and Kindle PC also registered. I deregistered them all on Amazon site. Then I removed "The 5th Wave" from my Now Reading Collection on my Paperwhite 2.

I re-registered my Kindle app on Nexus 7, and the second it opened..."The 5th Wave" popped back up in my Now Reading collection on Paperwhite. It is like there is literally no way to get "The 5th Wave" (and about 10 others) disconnected from a collection on Amazon's cloud server. And again, these books are sideloaded ONLY on my Paperwhite. I guess I may try sideloading it on the Nexus and then remove it...maybe that will do the trick.

edit

ok, doing my last suggestion and just sideloading the books in question to the Nexus and adding/removing them from collections there seems to update the cloud..and they now pass that new info along to my Paperwhite. This just tells me that changes made on Kindle for Android actually update the cloud and other devices...but when I make changes on the Paperwhite they don't always stick.

This whole cloud thing is nice in theory, but horribly implemented/tacked on in the last few months. They need a complete, master, web-based Collection Manager that lets you do everything and decide what to sync where. Cause it's so fragmented to me right now.

Anyways I'll keep messing with it...thanks for letting me basically talk to myself as I'm working on this tonight. It's therapeutic!

And thanks nynaevelan, your advice was very helpful!!

Last edited by ezzkmo; 04-25-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: more info
ezzkmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzkmo View Post

This whole cloud thing is nice in theory, but horribly implemented/tacked on in the last few months. They need a complete, master, web-based Collection Manager that lets you do everything and decide what to sync where. Cause it's so fragmented to me right now.
I agree 100000000000%, they did not fully think this process through at all!!
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote