Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #106
Beth loves books
Beth loves books began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Has anyone had luck changing fonts on PRS-700?

I've managed to change the fonts in the eBook library on my computer so books display with better fonts. But I'd really rather change them on my PRS-700. I tried the steps in the Guide to changing fonts and flashing and it didn't work.

Is there any way I can change fonts on my reader so that ALL my files can be viewed in my preferred font? I know I can make PDF's, ePub files and such with my preferred formatting/fonts. but...I have some LRX files that are really difficult to read because the font is so dainty and doesn't have enough contrast. How can I change those on my device so I can read them more easily?
Beth loves books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #107
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth loves books View Post
Is there any way I can change fonts on my reader so that ALL my files can be viewed in my preferred font?
Yes, by following this guide.

But you have a PRS-700 and I'm not sure PRSCustomizer (used for the flashing process) supports it. And there is no way of changing the default fonts on the device other than flashing the Reader.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #108
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Valloric and Jeff:

Thank you! I just tried it and am fixing to dive into my nice, clean, Ariel font books. I had not tried this because I was afraid it would be too hard, but it worked out great.

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #109
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I had not tried this because I was afraid it would be too hard, but it worked out great.
A lot of people seem to be afraid of this procedure, when in fact it's ridiculously simple. The guide is very thorough and detailed and covers practically every problem you could encounter.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #110
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I found a caecilia font on the web here: http://trac.dey.fcny.org/browser/con...s/caecilia.ttf and it appears to be free. I wonder if a) it will work & b) its supposed to be out there. its only like 68K so I wonder if its all there

Edit: to answer my own question, I think it has the main caecilia, but is missing alot as well.

Last edited by volwrath; 03-18-2009 at 09:32 PM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #111
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Looks like there's only the normal style, not italic, bold and bold italic.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #112
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I found a caecilia font on the web here: http://trac.dey.fcny.org/browser/con...s/caecilia.ttf and it appears to be free.
You can find a lot of things on the web that appear to be free. They usually aren't.

Caecillia is a copyrighted font, owned by Linotype GmbH.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #113
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
You can find a lot of things on the web that appear to be free. They usually aren't.

Caecillia is a copyrighted font, owned by Linotype GmbH.
I looked at their web page. It seems one size of Caecilia is only $26.00. I found that kind of odd as it

In anycase I initially went with Arial for a while, and then switched to Constantia as I could not take it.

It did appear from my playing that simply changing the fonts in the sony reader directory was not enough to repaginate. I even opened the book in the ebook library and it it didnt repaginate. For one of my books I had to pull it off the reader and put it back on with calibre. Wonder if there could be created a script in PRSCustomizer, repaginate current book.

Thanks for your tut!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #114
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Wonder if there could be created a script in PRSCustomizer, repaginate current book.
Simply delete cache.xml (or media.xml). That will force refresh of all books on the Reader.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #115
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Simply delete cache.xml (or media.xml). That will force refresh of all books on the Reader.
Thanks! I plan to do this when I get home this evening. I'm very happy with my Ariel fonts, but it does still carry over lines from the previous page. It is so much clearer for me to read without the serifs and more of the background showing through.

Now I have a question: Can I use PRSCustomizer to somehow increase the default font sizes?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #116
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Now I have a question: Can I use PRSCustomizer to somehow increase the default font sizes?
Thats a great question. Small is always too small for me and Medium is too small most the time, so I stay on large fonts. A firmware upgrade allowing 4 or more font sizes should not be out of the question.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #117
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Thats a great question. Small is always too small for me and Medium is too small most the time, so I stay on large fonts. A firmware upgrade allowing 4 or more font sizes should not be out of the question.
Now *that* would be wonderful. I almost never use small which is a shame because the formatting is almost always better on that setting. Instead I almost always use medium, but feel like it really isn't the one-size-fits-all that I'm having to use it as. I've never quite understood why an electronic book reader doesn't allow for just about any font size you want.

Sorry to derail this thread a bit.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #118
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Now *that* would be wonderful. I almost never use small which is a shame because the formatting is almost always better on that setting. Instead I almost always use medium, but feel like it really isn't the one-size-fits-all that I'm having to use it as. I've never quite understood why an electronic book reader doesn't allow for just about any font size you want.
If you are creating your own books using the calibre tools, you can use --base-font-size to set whatever size you want.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #119
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
I loaded caecilia on there and it works! It looks great. No problems, at all. Many thanks!
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #120
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
I loaded caecilia on there and it works! It looks great. No problems, at all. Many thanks!
Glad you got it working!