Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
as the above poster said the 3G is good if you read on other kindle apps like the iphone. i like everything sync'd up so i'm not on different pages on different devices.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #17
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
I bought the PW 3G as I was under the erroneous impression that it included the worldwide browser of the K3. Now, that's a feature that would have been worth the $60, but as long as it's just for the Amazon store (and Wikipedia) I don't think so.

(I live 4km from a border, and frequently find myself abroad. Using roaming on my phone it would costs a fortune to check email, so the free 3G would have been great. (Even though the interface is very painful, it would have been a lifesaver in many occasions.) )
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
I travel a lot, so the 3G is valuable for me. I'd definitely recommend it if you travel, especially if you like to spend time in more rural areas where there may not be a wealth of wifi hotspots.

I don't know anyone who doesn't travel who has a use for it, though.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I often use 3G while at my doctor's office, etc. to get new books. It's worth it to me.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I didn't have wifi at my house when I bought a KK3G. Even though I have wifi here now, I still use 3G almost exclusively on my Kindle Keyboard. I probably wouldn't get a Paperwhite with 3G, though, since that 3G is limited and plenty of books would be loaded on the device.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle Touch 3G is available for $129 (refurbished). That's only a $30 'premium' over what a new wifi model cost, and considerably less than PW3G. It will probably get at least one more update. More storage, and TTS/audio. Worth considering if you are on the fence about PW 3G.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #22
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
On the whole, I don't care for touch screens, so the Kindle Touch isn't an option for me. The only reason I'm considering the Paperwhite is because of the light and some of the other features like time read. I've got and like the K3, but I find the keyboard gets in my way, and I'm looking for something a little lighter than my k3 in it's lighted cover.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Except for the screen and capacitative rather than IR touch, Paperwhite shares at least 98% of its DNA with Kindle Touch, and KT has a Home button, which reduces required screen touches. I would not be surprised if Amazon adds time to read and some of the other UI refinements to KT, as it would be trivial. With the lighted cover, it is sleeker, smaller and lighter than KK with lighted cover.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't do IR screens; they don't respond to my touch.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I can't do IR screens; they don't respond to my touch.
IR screens respond to ANY touch, so I'm not sure what you mean. All that's required is for something to break the plane of light (dust landing on the screen can be a problem), so as long as you're not a ghost, IR should work for you.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #26
nicepal
nicepal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Do note that PW 3G does not support web browsing while on 3G. Amazon have block that feature while on 3G.

But there is some way to go around that. Do search around as I remember someone posted the "help blog" somewhere ;>
nicepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #27
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepal View Post
Do note that PW 3G does not support web browsing while on 3G. Amazon have block that feature while on 3G.

But there is some way to go around that. Do search around as I remember someone posted the "help blog" somewhere ;>
More details please!

(Although I expect that it might well be against the T&C of this forum.)
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #28
nicepal
nicepal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Popup, do try google or search this forum for paperwhite 3G surf. I also cannot recall where I have seen it.

Previous version of Kindle is able to web browse when on 3G (heard) while PW is limited to kindle store or amazon.com so you can purchase books on line and on the go.
nicepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #29
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I dont know why, but IR doesn't like me. If I use a stylus, it seems to work better, but that's a pain. Capacative screens are better, but still ify for my touch, which is why I tend to avoid touch screens if I can. Half the time, my Droid Razr doesn't recognize that I'm doing anything to it.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #30
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I love the ability when reading my KK in bed, to pop across to the BBC website for the latest headlines. Alas, that's no longer available on the K4 or PW, which is a huge shame.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote