Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 04-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Arnold, Edwin L: Gullivar of Mars v1. 12 Apr 08

An escapist sci-fi novel by Edwin Lester Arnold combining elements of both fantasy and science fiction, first published in 1905.

The story is about Navy Lieutenant Gullivar Jones's adventures on the planet Mars. I won't ruin it by telling you how he manages to get to Mars, but I can say it's pretty unique. Jones has numerous adventures there, including falling in love the beautiful Princess Heru and battling all sorts of strange beasts. He also has to battle the evil Ar-Hap, who is trying to conquer the Mars city of Seth.

Since this book was written before Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote his "John Carter" Mars books, many say this book was likely the inspiration.

Interesting note: Gullivar has made some cameo appearances in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Arnold, Edwin L.-Gullivar of Mars.prc (600.8 KB, 766 views)

Last edited by tsgreer; 04-12-2008 at 08:57 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Now we need "Robinson Crusoe on Mars". I know it was a movie, was it a book also?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Now we need "Robinson Crusoe on Mars". I know it was a movie, was it a book also?
Ha! I remember that movie. When I was little it came on T.V. and I was pretty fascinated. As far as I know, it wasn't a book. But that would be a fun book...
Old 04-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What tool did you use to create that Mobipocket file? I tried to open it in FBReader on Windows XP and it crashed every time. I tried Mobi2MobiGUI to regenerate things and it hung near the beginning of the process. Finally, I used pdbshred to explode things.

It seems that the HTML file had several NULL characters in it. I assume this was the cause of all the trouble. I also noticed that the HTML markup was rather unusual, with excessive and unnecessary markup in abundance.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
tsgreer

I used mobipocket creator. As for the crappy HTML info, it's because I use Microsoft Word for the formatting. I export as an HTML file and then drag that HTML file into Mobipocket creator.

I'm on a Mac (mobipocket creator is used in Virtual PC), so it's a bit of a roundabout way of doing things, but I usually don't count on someone looking at the HTML details. I figure someone would just drag the .prc file onto something that reads mobipocket files and read. It works fine on the devices I have.

Word makes the worst HTML code--but it's easy to edit in. I don't know any programming, can't mess with any programming and realize that if I knew programming I could do a lot more cool stuff.

I realize that it gets on a lot of programming people's nerves, but I am already plenty geeky, so I don't need another layer.

So anyway, sorry that you find the file insides messy. Opens up in mobi just fine and works perfect on my Kindle. I would venture to say that none of my uploads have pretty guts once you explode them and look at all the pieces--but they are pretty great to read as is.

I would think that if you really need the HTML, you could get it from PG or any of the other sources out there.
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
jgray
Fanatic

I wasn't trying to make a point about the lousy markup. The only reason I even bothered with the markup was because the Mobipocket file crashed FBReader. That's when I found the the file contained NULL characters (in the ASCII chart, it's the first character -- all zeros in binary). Obviously FBReader and other software chokes on this. I brought it to your attention because a lot of people use FBreader to read Mobipocket files.

As for using Word to create the HTML, you might want to get a copy of HTML Tidy, which can strip out the Word stuff. Another program what uses Tidy behind the scenes is called HTML Book Fixer. One reason to take this extra step is that it would significantly reduce the size of your final ebook.

As to where in your workflow the NULLs are coming from, I don't know. However, if you want everyone to be able to read your creations, you might want to find out and eliminate them.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
tsgreer

I have no experience with FBReader, so thanks for pointing that out. I'll run my files through an HTML filter before I convert and we'll see if that fixes the problem that you are seeing. I'm quite certain that it's Word HTML that's causing it...
Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
jgray
Fanatic

I was going to PM you about this, but the PM feature doesn't seem to allow attachments. So that I could read your ebook with FBReader, I exploded the PRC so that I could remove the NULL characters and regenerate the PRC. While I was at it, I decided to clean out the extra MS Word markup. I also decided to add curly quotes.

Attached is the cleaned up HTML and a regenerated PRC. The PRC is much smaller without the extra MS Word markup (almost half). If the regenerated PRC is not to your liking, feel free to use the cleaned up HTML to make another one. I don't know if the cover image works correctly, as FBReader doesn't show cover images. The Mobi Emulator, which emulates a PDA, doesn't seem to show the cover image either.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Gullivar of Mars.prc (308.6 KB, 788 views)
File Type: zip Gullivar of Mars.zip (144.1 KB, 525 views)

Last edited by jgray; 04-14-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
An escapist sci-fi novel by Edwin Lester Arnold combining elements of both fantasy and science fiction, first published in 1905.

The story is about Navy Lieutenant Gullivar Jones's adventures on the planet Mars. I won't ruin it by telling you how he manages to get to Mars, but I can say it's pretty unique. Jones has numerous adventures there, including falling in love the beautiful Princess Heru and battling all sorts of strange beasts. He also has to battle the evil Ar-Hap, who is trying to conquer the Mars city of Seth.

Since this book was written before Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote his "John Carter" Mars books, many say this book was likely the inspiration.

Interesting note: Gullivar has made some cameo appearances in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic.
I noticed that you also have a EBW 1150, so I will post a .imp version of your .prc as converted by Mobi2IMP and hand-edited to fix the Chapter links that were "broken". See the .IMP ebooks upload forum for this version or click here.

I did notice that the .prc was UTF-8 encoded, so that may be why it seems troublesome; though not to Mobi2IMP (shameless plug) !

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-15-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added link to .imp version
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
tsgreer

Hey thanks. I do have the EBW 1150. I don't use it anymore but I haven't been able to part with it since it was the very first dedicated e-book reader I had...