Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your favorite genre? Choose all that apply.
Vampires 16 8.60%
Fantasy 85 45.70%
Sci-fi 96 51.61%
Comedy 25 13.44%
True Crime 15 8.06%
Mystery 71 38.17%
Historical Fiction 63 33.87%
Romance 20 10.75%
Christian Fiction 7 3.76%
General Fiction 46 24.73%
Biography / Autobiography 21 11.29%
Non-fiction 46 24.73%
Other (please specify) 24 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #61
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
On "Other" I would have to put books by Dean Koontz and Terry Pratchett.

I don't like much fantasy (except Elizabeth Moon) and strangely I don't consider the Discworld series by Pratchett as fantasy???? Is there anyone else that feels the same? I think that I just like Pratchett's writing and characters so much that I accept the "magic" as an incidental part of the story.
AFAIK Pratchett's stories takes place in (semi)medieval environment, in a made-up world, with a variety of fantastic creatures, and magic (with or without quotes) is an integral part of the world. I'd say fantasy as a genre fits pretty well - even if it's not "high" or "classic" fantasy. "Humour" might be another relevant genre.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #62
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
I like forensic/police procedural based murder books - so ticked other!

But to be honest I will have a go at most genres apart from historical romance or chick lit!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #63
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Could have chosen a few other genres, too, but the real favorite is
Biography/Autobiography
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #64
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
My favourite genre is fantasy. Mostly Urban Fantasy and Epic Fantasy. I do have favourite books with Vampires in them like The Night Huntress and Morganville Vampires, but I wouldn't read a book because it had vampires. I read it for the story and characters. It could be the same plot and characters but have shifters or ghosts and I would like it or not just the same.

My second favourite genre is Young Adult, whether fantasy or fiction. I love all the teen angst and drama. My favourite YA books/series are Perfect Chemistry, The Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, The Body Finder, The Mortal Instruments, Some Girls Are, Willow... I could go on forever.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #65
malweth
malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 1gen
Aside from Fantasy, I chose "Other." I suppose "General Fiction" could have worked for many of the non-Fantasy books I read, but it's such a wide category. I don't know what to call the category, but I think a number of the books I've read recently fit in:

Kazuo Ishiguro (any of his books) & Foucault's Pendulum (reading now).

I think all of these books fit into "Slow Adventure" or perhaps, "Lumbering Suspense."
Maybe "General Fiction" would have been right after all.

(I also chose Non-fiction... mostly work related technical books).
malweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #66
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth View Post
Aside from Fantasy, I chose "Other." I suppose "General Fiction" could have worked for many of the non-Fantasy books I read, but it's such a wide category. I don't know what to call the category, but I think a number of the books I've read recently fit in:

Kazuo Ishiguro (any of his books) & Foucault's Pendulum (reading now).

I think all of these books fit into "Slow Adventure" or perhaps, "Lumbering Suspense."
Maybe "General Fiction" would have been right after all.
When I think about it, a lot of "general fiction" really is "lumbering suspense"
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #67
shortywriter
shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shortywriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The only genre I really don't read at all is Christian fiction.
shortywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #68
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
I'll read just about anything. Genre doesn't limit me, characters and style does.

By this I mean, the POV character(s) have to have enough brains in their head to keep me interested. I've got no time for whiny or stupid characters; I've got even less time for massively self destructive characters. I'll happily read sharp, witty character in almost any setting.

As for style, I'm not a huge fan of overly descriptive work. Anne Rice is a good example, she writes plots I'd really like, but the pages and pages of descriptions of everything the characters come in contact with and how they feel about it drives me buggy. Cut a third out of any of her books and I'd happily read them. As they are, I feel like I need a machete to cut through the vast wodges of atmosphere to get to the story.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #69
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortywriter View Post
The only genre I really don't read at all is Christian fiction.
Ditto.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #70
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
AFAIK Pratchett's stories takes place in (semi)medieval environment, in a made-up world, with a variety of fantastic creatures, and magic (with or without quotes) is an integral part of the world. I'd say fantasy as a genre fits pretty well - even if it's not "high" or "classic" fantasy. "Humour" might be another relevant genre.
I'd call Pratchett's stories satire or social commentary. They aren't classical fantasy by any stretch of the imagination, but they use the tools of fantasy to make satirical commentary on our own world.

He's a much closer writer to Swift than to Tolkien. Which then raises the question, are books like Gulliver's Travels fantasy? It's certainly fantastic.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #71
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I voted Other. I meant thrillers. There was no way to vote for these. Noticed quite a few genres missing, such as horror.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #72
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I realize that you said 'mostly', but wanted to chime in here that the one series with a vampire protagonist I've ever read was a gay, cozy murder mystery: Posted to Death.
Oh, I read that... liked it, too!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #73
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Interesting question. I put other down for Crime and their ilk, Urban Fantasy, and Horror.

This may have been touched on but is Vampires a genre or a character? I say they are a character. I have seen vampires in Urban Fantasy, Romance, Horror and Mystery, but I don't see vampires being a genre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #74
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This may have been touched on but is Vampires a genre or a character? I say they are a character. I have seen vampires in Urban Fantasy, Romance, Horror and Mystery, but I don't see vampires being a genre.
I agree with you, here.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #75
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I know it's not an offical genre. I explained in the first post why I seperated it. There are such an overwhelming amount of vampire books now that I was curious to see what percentage of people here were reading them.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote