Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Adobe PDF DRM?

If I buy a book with Adobe pdf drm is there any way to get it into a better format for my reader? Thanks!

Does the reader support drm pdfs?
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
No keyboard, so you can't enter passwords.

No support in CONNECT Software to download Adobe Digital Editions.

So far the PDF viewer has mostly been taking up FLASH and not paying rent on it.

Thanks to help from igorsky I'm about to take a stab at making it useful. The Fsk architecture allows me to re-plug methods. I'm working on a module that you can load into SD/MS and it will replace the existing moth eaten dithering method with one I developed for the iLiad that will sharpen the text and enhance the images.

I'm thinking of a d-pad style password entry panel. Left right to move letters, up down to scroll through letters at a position. But I don't know if there is a hook in the PDF viewer to link that password entry panel into...
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Scotty, this worked on a DEC PDP-10 a long time ago so I'm not sure how it fit in the Sony Reader: We created another file (text) to hold the password and a program (think padded cell) to feed the password to the software. We trapped the call for the password and responded from the text file. I hope the solution is as simple as that. This would not be a crack of the PDF DRM, just a method of using the password.

Some modern software that I run also checks the CPU serial number on install and uses that as part of the encoding so even with the password I cannot use the software on another machine.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Scotty, this worked on a DEC PDP-10 a long time ago so I'm not sure how it fit in the Sony Reader: We created another file (text) to hold the password and a program (think padded cell) to feed the password to the software. We trapped the call for the password and responded from the text file. I hope the solution is as simple as that. This would not be a crack of the PDF DRM, just a method of using the password.

Some modern software that I run also checks the CPU serial number on install and uses that as part of the encoding so even with the password I cannot use the software on another machine.
Hmmm the password could be stored into the cache.xml file in the entry for the PDF file...

Code:
<text author="" sourceid="38" id="155" date="Wed, 29 Nov 2006 06:11:20 GMT" mime="application/pdf" path="Books/Biography of Nikola Tesla.pdf/Biography of Nikola Tesla.pdf" size="646758" title="Prodigal Genius">
  <password>I Can't Believe I Bought a Password Protected PDF file</password>
</text>
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Hey, solve this and the viewing problem and I'll be in fat city. I've got like 20 or 30 PDF DRM files.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

There are two schemes for protection of a PDF. The "password" based system is not really DRM, it allows you to make all the copies you want. It's more an anti-nosey-kid device. I consider it like the PIN display lock on the Reader itself.

The Adobe DRM scheme encrypts the PDF in a way that is specific to a certain transaction. That transaction can be validated on up to 6-8 devices, PCs and Readers that support Adobe DRM. The Sony Reader is not such a Reader. You can authorize your PC to access the encrypted PDF, but the CONNECT Reader software isn't approved to share in the access. Frankly, that seems to be a Sony marketing decision, to keep you from buying cheaper ebooks from other online sources.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm, then Sony is also protecting us since their viewing of letter/A4 documents on the Reader leaves a bit to be desired.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
adinb
RSS &amp;amp; Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyriesound
If I buy a book with Adobe pdf drm is there any way to get it into a better format for my reader? Thanks!

Does the reader support drm pdfs?
Taking a look at the encrypted pdfs from ebooks.com, a password user password isn't used.

The encryption method used identifies itself as

Quote:
ebook exchange (EBX_Handler) 128 bit security V.3 Encryption Handler
So password based decrypters (like PDFKey Pro or the notorious Elcomsoft apdfpr) won't work. These file encryption methods even check back with adobe (and possibly the ebooks.com's servers, I haven't broken out the packet capture software yet).

The easy way to see if you have the really nasty encryption seems to be if you try opening the pdf in (OS X) colorsync, preview, pdf2ps, etc and you just get blank pages.
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote