Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Question Baffling acronyms ?!

Hi Folks.
In my looking around I keep seeing some acronyms which mean...nothing to me.
Here's the one I really haven't figured out yet (Am I stupid, or what ?):

MID.

Wazzat mean, please ?

Thanks,

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I am guessing that this is the one: MID = Mobile Internet Devices

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
A mobile Internet device (MID) is a multimedia-capable mobile device providing wireless Internet access.[1][2][3] They are designed to provide entertainment, information and location-based services for personal use, rather than for corporate use. They allow 2-way communication and real-time sharing. MIDs are larger than smartphones but smaller than the Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC).[citation needed] They have been described as filling a niche between smartphones and Tablet PCs.[4] They are an easy way to stay in contact with others wirelessly.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's right. A device like the Dell Streak is a MID.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's right. A device like the Dell Streak is a MID.
I've been unclear about the difference between a smart phone and a MID. Do MIDs make phone calls? Are they basically smart phones, but larger?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
MIDs are supposed to be about data (Intel coined the acronym) so phone features aren't required. But nothing says you can't have it, especially with VoIP.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
MIDs are supposed to be about data (Intel coined the acronym) so phone features aren't required. But nothing says you can't have it, especially with VoIP.
So would an iPod touch be a MID, or does its size rule that out? Or does a MID have constant Internet?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
All the MID examples I saw, like this early one:
http://www.itechnews.net/2008/04/18/...pecs-revealed/

...featured 3G.

To me, at least, a WiFi only tablet is a Webpad. Which is an even older spec.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=476

Now that they're getting cheap, we're finally seeing WebPads take off. Oddly enough, *without* the webpad name. (C.F. Pandigital Novel.) Go figure.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:

...featured 3G.

Now that they're getting cheap, we're finally seeing WebPads take off. Oddly enough, *without* the webpad name. (C.F. Pandigital Novel.) Go figure.
Thanks. That helps clear up for me.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Thank You !
Now I can sleep soundly tonight !!!

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:

...featured 3G.

Well, to me, if it has 3G it's a phone; if it has wi-fi it's a MID.

If it has both ... it's either a phone with pretensions or a MID with an inferiority complex.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acronyms