Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
27 June 2009 NOVA Meet-up (Northern Virginia)

This is a second thread about the Meet-up on June 27th at 6 pm at Mango Mike's in Alexandria, VA. The big hit at the last meet-up was seeing Nate's fantastic collection of electronic reading devices. It is like a great traveling show with many instruments that I had only heard of or seen in fuzzy photos. To view the collection alone is worth the admission price -- you also get to meet all sorts of great people plus fantastic food and drink.
Mango Mike's (Google Maps)
4580 Duke St
Alexandria, VA
(You can find the evolution of the meeting in the original thread here.)

The purpose of this new thread is to save people from being having to go through five pages of notes although lilac_jive was kind enough to modify her first post to create a top level summary.

For those of you just tuning in, allow me to recap. Lilac started the current call for a meeting and Cassidy offered to serve as host and secured the location. (Our prior meet-up was in Herndon.)

At the moment the attendance list looks like this:
Confirmed:
  • Lilac - Vienna (from PA) [1]
  • Kaz - west of Dulles [2]
  • Enola - Northern Virginia [1]
  • Cassidy - Alexandria [2]
  • Steve Jordan - Maryland [2]
  • Percy - Virginia(?) [1]
  • Nate - Woodbridge [1]
  • Wood - Oak Hill [2]
Possible:
  • Uncle Duke - Silver Spring (from parts unknown) [1]
We will be in the Havana Banana Room, next to the bar. It kicks off at 6:00 pm (18:00.) It is a no smoking restaurant; however, smoking is allowed just outside the door.

For more details about Mango Mike's, check out their web site at http://www.mangomikes.com/Pages/m2pg.html.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Admission price??? $35 to the laddie at the door?

I'm very excited! Glad you made a new thread RWood
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Time is short if you want to order MobileRead logo merchandise for the big NOVA event.

The main site for ordering MobileRead logo gear is at Cafe Press. Nekokami set it up as a non-profit activity.

Also available is stuff from the MobileRead Ministry of Unutterable Silliness in many, many patterns from "The Blue One Next To The Fish" to all the squirrels and llamas you could want.

The enclosed photos include a display of Nate's reading collection from last August, Steve Jordan modeling a MobileRead shirt, Cassidy's MobileRead hat, and a "The Blue One Next To The Fish" clock in a workshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NatesReadingDevices.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	30794   Click image for larger version

Name:	SteveSpeaking.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	30795   Click image for larger version

Name:	CassidyHat.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	30796   Click image for larger version

Name:	TBONTTF-Clock.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	594.8 KB
ID:	30797  
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Time is short if you want to order MobileRead logo merchandise for the big NOVA event.

The main site for ordering MobileRead logo gear is at Cafe Press. Nekokami set it up as a non-profit activity.

Also available is stuff from the MobileRead Ministry of Unutterable Silliness in many, many patterns from "The Blue One Next To The Fish" to all the squirrels and llamas you could want.

The enclosed photos include a display of Nate's reading collection from last August, Steve Jordan modeling a MobileRead shirt, Cassidy's MobileRead hat, and a "The Blue One Next To The Fish" clock in a workshop.
GAH! I want that clock!

even though I still don't understand what it means...
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
This is a second thread about the Meet-up on June 27th at 6 pm at Mango Mike's in Alexandria, VA. The big hit at the last meet-up was seeing Nate's fantastic collection of electronic reading devices. It is like a great traveling show with many instruments that I had only heard of or seen in fuzzy photos. To view the collection alone is worth the admission price -- you also get to meet all sorts of great people plus fantastic food and drink.
Actually, I'm not planning on bringing very many devices.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Given the quality of your collection, even a few devices is well worth the effort to see them.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Don't blame you, I wouldn't want to carry that around

I'm trying to figure out what they all are though...and failing miserably.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Don't blame you, I wouldn't want to carry that around

I'm trying to figure out what they all are though...and failing miserably.
According to Nate:
Quote:
Back Row: Nokia N800, M218A, Steve's HP iPaq 310, Nokia 770, Fujitsu PenCentra 130, Bob's tablet PC, and a wood case for the Sony 500.

Middle Row: Ebw-1150, HP Jornada 720, REB-1100, someone's Psion 5mx, NEC MobilePro 790, HP Jornada 360LX.

In Front:
Steve's LG Dare, someone's PRS-500, Sony Data Discman, Amazon Kindle.
The wood case for the Sony 500 was custom made for Bob Russell (a MobileRead moderator) by Yvan and is beautiful. Here is a closer image of the case. (The Sony 500 to the left is mine as is the green "Pouch" for it. The leather case under the reader is Bob's reader.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YvanSonyCase.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	860.6 KB
ID:	30799  
Old 06-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
According to Nate:

The wood case for the Sony 500 was custom made for Bob Russell (a MobileRead moderator) by Yvan and is beautiful. Here is a closer image of the case. (The Sony 500 to the left is mine as is the green "Pouch" for it. The leather case under the reader is Bob's reader.)
I remember seeing that before on here, it's so beautiful!

I guess you'll just have to settle with my two pretty cloth covers
Old 06-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I'm looking forward to it!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
Claire94
I should be painting
Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 500, Blue 505, 700
Quote:
This is a second thread about the Meet-up on June 27th at 6 pm at Mango Mike's in Alexandria, VA.

Thanks for re posting this. I must have missed it the first time. This looks like a lot of fun and I'm going to tentatively say YES I'll be there. I have a few things to juggle, but I'll do my best.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Claire
Claire94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire94 View Post

Thanks for re posting this. I must have missed it the first time. This looks like a lot of fun and I'm going to tentatively say YES I'll be there. I have a few things to juggle, but I'll do my best.

Claire
Yay! Hope to see you there!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:

Claire
If you are by yourself, you are #13, if you are with a friend then #13 and #14.

The Havana Banana Room will hold 20 with no problem (18 if Nate brought all of his reading devices, he's not so we can still hold another 6 - 7 people.)

I have no recent word from Uncle Duke about his status. Last we heard he might attend. I know many of us would like to finally meet this mystery man of karma and donuts. The one that started "Doughnut Day at MobileRead."
Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #14
Claire94
I should be painting
Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 500, Blue 505, 700
Quote:
If you are by yourself, you are #13, if you are with a friend then #13 and #14.

If it works out that I can come, I will be by myself. My husband (who is also a very happy Sony owner--505) is in a wheelchair and it can be too much of a production to manage an event like this. If he is feeling ok, I will be able to come as he can stay on his own for a few hours. (No doubt he will welcome some quiet reading time...) If he isn't up to par, it will depend on whether I can get a caregiver in for evening coverage. So just count me as the lucky 13, I guess.

Hoping I can make it!

Claire

PS--You may want to let Uncle Duke know that there is a Krispy Kreme plant not too far from Mango Mikes. Maybe that will entice him to attend.

Last edited by Claire94; 06-16-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Claire94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:

If it works out that I can come, I will be by myself. My husband (who is also a very happy Sony owner--505) is in a wheelchair and it can be too much of a production to manage an event like this. If he is feeling ok, I will be able to come as he can stay on his own for a few hours. (No doubt he will welcome some quiet reading time...) If he isn't up to par, it will depend on whether I can get a caregiver in for evening coverage. So just count me as the lucky 13, I guess.

Hoping I can make it!

Claire

PS--You may want to let Uncle Duke know that there is a Krispy Kreme plant not too far from Mango Mikes. Maybe that will entice him to attend.
We'll keep our fingers crossed that you're husband is well enough for you to come.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote