Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Epub and cover images, question about file storage

I notice that when I load a .lit file into Caliber, it contains a cover image despite there being no image in the folder, when I export as epub I have a cover.jpg file, a 372kb epub without a cover, and a 335 kb .lit with a cover inside?

If I open the .epub with Adobe Digital Editions I don't have a cover anymore.
I was hoping to convert my whole library to epub, and be able to read it on the PC w/Digital Editions and on my sony reader.

Is there any way I can make Digital Editions recongnize the cover image, or put the cover within the .epub?

Or is it required to be outside the .epub file for the sony reader for some reason?

I'm mostly wanting to make sure I'm using a format that I won't have to reconvert to something else if I decide to move to another reader, I was hoping epub would do it, but if nothing but caliber knows to put cover.jpg on the book I'm rather stuck.

Also, is there any way I can make Caliber leave my files alone, I don't really want to move every single book to one giant directory of directory/Authorfolder/book title folder/book if I can avoid it.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the epub also contains the cover and no, you cant have calibre not move your books
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 02:01 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Cover images are one of the weak spots of ePub. The practical implementations of OEB 1.0 included cover images, but they were not part of the standard. For example, LIT uses a guide item of type "other.ms-coverimage-standard" in the OPF file to indicate a cover image.

MobiPocket says (here) that cover images are included in IDPF 2.0 using the syntax:
Code:
  <metadata> <meta name="cover" content="my-cover-image" /> </metadata>
  <manifest> <item href="MyCoverImage.jpg" id="my-cover-image" media-type="image/jpeg" /> </manifest>
However, I have never seen this used in any actual ePub (and my guess is that ADE won't display such a cover image).

Instead, the image is usually placed inside an XML wrapper and placed as the first item in the spine. I don't know if Calibre is automatically adding cover images to ePubs from a LIT if they only occurred in the guide. There can be similar issues with recent MOBI files, which typically don't have the cover image embedded in the normal reading flow but rather selectable via a guide item.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the Epub contains the cover image, why is there a seperate cover.jpg?
Caliber does load the cover images from the .lit files, and I tried changing them using the fetch image command to make sure caliber was putting them in.

however they don't seem to exist in the output file according to Digital Editions.
It displays a white page, and then the first page of text.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
I, too, have noticed that the cover image in ePUB files generated by Calibre was no longer visible as page 1 on my Sony Reader or in the Sony eBook Library viewer. The cover image does show up as page 1 when using the Calibre viewer. The cover image as page 1 of ePUB files worked for me with version 0.4.98, but stopped working sometime after that version. I have been using the GUI version of Calibre on Windows XP to create the ePUB files from zipped HTML. Do I need to imbed the cover image in the HTML code in order for it to properly show up in ePUB?
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a bug in the epub output (at least as far as Adobe DE is concenrned) that prevents the covers from showing up. I haven't gotten around to fixing it. But the cover is most certainly there. And the cover is stored in a separate file because not all ebook formats support the concept of a cover.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There's a bug in the epub output (at least as far as Adobe DE is concenrned) that prevents the covers from showing up. I haven't gotten around to fixing it. But the cover is most certainly there. And the cover is stored in a separate file because not all ebook formats support the concept of a cover.
Kovid, thanks for fixing this in version 0.4.105.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
JGB
Groupie

woo time to reconvert them all
that was a fast bug fix!!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
GreenCanuck
GreenCanuck began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I am using version 0.7.23 and I am getting the white cover in ADE & Sony Reader again. :-(
GreenCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

nothing has changed in 0.7.23 to cause that.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
First, welcome aboard. Please feel free to ask any questions as you use calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCanuck View Post
I am using version 0.7.23 and I am getting the white cover in ADE & Sony Reader again. :-(
I guess you didn't see this warning.

Old Thread Warning
Quote:
This thread is quite old and may contain outdated information. We recommend that you begin a new discussion if you like to talk about a similar topic. Of course, you may also proceed and reply here.
Instead of reopening a thread almost 2 years old that talked about calibre version 0.4.105 when the current version is 0.7.23 try opening a new thread next time (see attached).
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote