Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
authorava
authorava began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Will epub devices automatically scale large images down

I've been reading the threads about recommended cover images, scaling illustrations and my head is spinning.

My question is what should the recommended size be for an image that is similar to a cover in that it sits alone on it's own page and should (mostly) fill the screen. I create a title page for my books that looks a little like what you'd see in a print book.

I've attached a small version here so you can see what I'm talking about. This image is 344 x650 at 72dpi and it's fairly small even in my Kindle Fire. I'd like to make them larger, but I don't want them to stray outside the edges of devices. I've just started making my own epubs with Sigil but I'm not really sure how to accurately preview for Nook or iPad. I don't care if it is smaller and doesn't quite fill screen, but I don't want it to be too big and spread off the reader's device. Do I even need to worry about that? Will epub readers automatically scale it down to fit in the device? I know that's a vague question but I'm really curious to hear what the experts say
Thanks,
Ava
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PPPlogoLOD72.png
Views:	340
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	134348  
authorava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Generally speaking large images will automatically be scaled by default. I don't know what will happen is explicit sizing is used. I would not recommend exceeding 4 Megapixel images in any event. Some readers don't have enough memory to deal with really large images.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Generally speaking large images will automatically be scaled by default. I don't know what will happen is explicit sizing is used. I would not recommend exceeding 4 Megapixel images in any event. Some readers don't have enough memory to deal with really large images.

Dale
That depends on the code used. I've seen plenty of images that are only partially displayed on screen because of poor coding.

An SVG wrapper can do the scaling and an img display can as well as long as you specify the size in a percent of width and/or height.

But one thing that can be a major issue for images. Screen resolution/size. You do want high resolution images because devices have differing resolutions and screen sizes. There is the Kindle, PW2, Voyage all with different resolutions. Then there is the Kobo Aura HD and H2O with 6.8" screen and high resolutions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:43 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Devices should start implementing some kind of "ppi setting", that would control how images with no explicit size are displayed. Your 200px maps are unreadable in the newest extra-hyper-high-resolution screen? - adjust the ppi slider and all images grow.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting but not likely to happen. Device manufacture's are unlikely to do anything uniformly and particularly if it is not in the spec.

Dale
Advert
Old 02-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I don't know what will happen is explicit sizing is used.
That gives me an excuse to ask a question that has long puzzled me. In Sigil, when I insert a cover, this is the code that Sigil generates:

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 800 1169" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"><image height="1169" width="800" xlink:href="../Images/myimage.jpg"/></svg>

Why use both a relative and an absolute dimension? If the absolute dimensions (1169x800) are merely informative, why use them at all?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Devices should start implementing some kind of "ppi setting", that would control how images with no explicit size are displayed. Your 200px maps are unreadable in the newest extra-hyper-high-resolution screen? - adjust the ppi slider and all images grow.
A 200px map is going to be unreadable on high resolution eInk screen. Especially if it's meant to be displayed full screen.

The problem is too many eBooks use images that are just too small. But what can be done about it? If you make the images high enough resolution, and you don't want them to be full screen, they'll be a bit too large on a non-high resolution eInk screen. What code can be used so it works on a regular Reader, a high resolutions screen, and an ultra-high resolution screen?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
That gives me an excuse to ask a question that has long puzzled me. In Sigil, when I insert a cover, this is the code that Sigil generates:

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 800 1169" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"><image height="1169" width="800" xlink:href="../Images/myimage.jpg"/></svg>

Why use both a relative and an absolute dimension? If the absolute dimensions (1169x800) are merely informative, why use them at all?
SVG is a different kettle of fish than raster images. SVG builds a canvas to place the image on. The canvas defines the screen space used and is a scale factor for the image. The image is defined on the canvas. So in effect the image takes exactly the amount of space referenced to the canvas but the canvas itself is scaled to the screen. Hence height and width are defined to 100% of the screen and the canvas is the viewBox which defines the pixel size that represents 100% and then the image fits on the canvas. The image, even tho it is raster is being displayed on a SVG generated canvas.

Dale
Old 02-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A 200px map is going to be unreadable on high resolution eInk screen. Especially if it's meant to be displayed full screen.

The problem is too many eBooks use images that are just too small. But what can be done about it? If you make the images high enough resolution, and you don't want them to be full screen, they'll be a bit too large on a non-high resolution eInk screen. What code can be used so it works on a regular Reader, a high resolutions screen, and an ultra-high resolution screen?
The latest CSS has tries to fix this problem by defining a CSS pixel (see our wiki page on CSS pixel.

A CSS pixel is defined as the size of a pixel on a 96 dpi screen (typical computer monitor). When CSS encounters an explicit px being used in a page it interprets the px not as an absolute vale but rather as a scaled value. Thus an image marked to be 96 pixels wide should be 1 inch wide on the screen. Older devices not not support this but is is coming in HTML5 and ePub3.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 02-02-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
SVG is a different kettle of fish than raster images. SVG builds a canvas to place the image on. The canvas defines the screen space used and is a scale factor for the image. The image is defined on the canvas. So in effect the image takes exactly the amount of space referenced to the canvas but the canvas itself is scaled to the screen. Hence height and width are defined to 100% of the screen and the canvas is the viewBox which defines the pixel size that represents 100% and then the image fits on the canvas. The image, even tho it is raster is being displayed on a SVG generated canvas.

Dale
Another day, another revelation! Thank you.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:03 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it's readable in a low-resolution screen, it should be readable in a high-resolution one, if it't enlarged. The only degradation in quality (with respect to the low-res screen) would be due to aliasing or faults in the scaling algorithm.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If it's readable in a low-resolution screen, it should be readable in a high-resolution one, if it't enlarged. The only degradation in quality (with respect to the low-res screen) would be due to aliasing or faults in the scaling algorithm.
So how would you take an image and size it on a 650, a PW2, an H2O, and a Voyage so it's the same basic size? It won't be full screen. But if you take a ruler to the image, that image will measure the same and just make it a little bit harder, toss in Mobi to the four different Kindle screen sizes (Kindle, DX, PW2, Voyage).

The problem as I see it, it's going to only really work if the image is of very high resolution and it's set to be full screen (such as a map or a chart with words)

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-05-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:28 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I think we are talking about different things (and my point was about upscaling, rather than downscaling, which is the thread's subject)
Old 02-08-2015, 01:06 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think we are talking about different things (and my point was about upscaling, rather than downscaling, which is the thread's subject)
But the same situation remains. Can you come up with code that will make an image the same size on screen regardless of the resolution/screen size?
Old 02-08-2015, 02:59 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

No, that's why I said that "devices should start implementing" something to remedy that, at least for cases that were (implicitly) designed with a specific resolution in mind.

Otherwise, one can use % in width, or absolute units (cm, in), but it still depends on the screen size and the reader's implementation of the absolute units (which I'm afraid is often flawed)