Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
patriciabuon
patriciabuon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Question Battery/charging issues for 505

I have a 505 and only charge it through the USB port of my laptop. I recently got a message "no battery" on restarting it. The evening before when I turned it off the indicator showed half charge. I did a reset and am now recharging it via USB. I have a three questions: 1 what does the message "no battery" mean? I understand "low battery" but not "no battery. 2. Apart from charging faster with a mains charger, is there any difference between charging with charger and via USB? 3. Can I use my Motorola phone charger? It has a micro USB connector and output of 5.0V 550 mA. I asked Sony and they just said they could not recommend anything other than Sony products. Fair enough, but I'm tired of buying chargers for everything.
patriciabuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
USB chargers are the same for every device... so you shouldn't have a problems.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciabuon View Post
2. Apart from charging faster with a mains charger, is there any difference between charging with charger and via USB?
Besides fast charging, another benefit of using AC charger is that you can read while charging PRS 505.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've found the USB charging troublesome now and then, I bought an inexpensive PSP charger for $5 and now charge my 505 with it. I've never gotten the "no battery" warning though

Last edited by Ervserver; 05-17-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
mmclean
mmclean began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
What is a PSP Charger

I am getting the same message on my reader. The device has barely been used and now this.
mmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
PSP = playstation portable.

Here's some notes on battery issues and resetting:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
3. Can I use my Motorola phone charger? It has a micro USB connector and output of 5.0V 550 mA.
Sadly, no. It seems that in order for the device to accept a charge by USB it needs to be attached to a computer. I bought an inexpensive USB charger for the PSP from amazon (it has a usb plug on one end and an AC plug on the other) and it works great from a USB brick (I use one I have for my iPod). The cable I got also has a 5-pin mini USB plug so I can use it as a data cable, too. (Your motorola connector is probably a 5-pin mini USB, micro USB wouldn't fit a Sony Reader.)
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
I have a 505 and only charge it through the USB port of my laptop.
If your laptop shuts down/goes to sleep automatically, it's likely that it cuts power to the USB ports. If Reader is connected to a unpowered USB port, that can actually run the battery down.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I've been charging my 505 from a PSP charge cable that plugs into the USB on the PC but has the round charge-only connector on the other end. Well, ok, it has both the mini-usb connector and the power-only connector, so it works for both charging-while-reading and charging-while-connected if that makes sense. The cable was about $2 from a shop that sells PSPs.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote