Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Competitive Pricing

I routinely check PriceGrabber.com for "Sony Reader" and other products on my radar. I've noticed that prices are slowly dropping; their appears to be some competitive pressure on the retail price. For about 2 weeks the lowest price has been $267.00, but today Vann's lists it for $255.00.

This is a good sign!
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I routinely check PriceGrabber.com for "Sony Reader" and other products on my radar. I've noticed that prices are slowly dropping; their appears to be some competitive pressure on the retail price. For about 2 weeks the lowest price has been $267.00, but today Vann's lists it for $255.00.

This is a good sign!
It could be a bad sign - it might indicate that it's not selling too well!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, no. Pricing pressure is always a good sign. Even if Sony is struggling, the lowering price could/should put pressure on the other manufacturers. Plus, Borders still won't budge on the price, SonyStyle hasn't lowered the price - what we see are retail channels competing with each other. That's a good thing.

Certain markets may struggle. I live in a relatively small town, and the two Border's stores in town have been fully stocked on Readers week-in, week-out. I've noticed that most people don't even LOOK at it... they walk right by, never a first or second glance. Others who do look obviously "don't get it". That's why I keep saying "I'll buy one today, but not at retail". They obviously feel no pressure to move inventory, since they've never accepted my kind offer.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, no. Pricing pressure is always a good sign. Even if Sony is struggling, the lowering price could/should put pressure on the other manufacturers.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Amazon and Bookeen are selling every unit they can get their hands on - there's no pressure to lower prices in that environment. My concern with Sony is that they are perceived by many to be rather "falling behind the curve" in the features they offer; eg, they are the only major reader not to offer dictionary support, and that's very important if they want to compete in the educational market sector. Perhaps Sony feel that they need to compete on price grounds simply because they can't compete on features?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Again, it isn't Sony that is lowering their price. It is a particular retailer or two competing. That kind of retail competition leads to thinking: I could hold out and pay $100+ more for an e-book reader that is never in stock to get a feature I may, or may not, use... or I can buy a reader from a retailer that seems to be willing to drop the price $50 or so.

It may reach a point where, because of this retail price competition, Bookeen would lose my business to the Sony product. Price trumps Availability/Features. That being the case, all else being equal, it would lead to Bookeen lowering their price.

As things stands now, though, where most manufacturers are selling every unit they can produce, I seriously doubt we are about to see a price war.

But, I see the cracks starting to form, and they are forming in the channel for the one device that truly has a retail channel. That's how it's supposed to work. For devices with limited retail channels, the price will remain at the MSRP for most buyers.

Since Sony has retailers willing to discount, multiple channels willing to compete, product availability, and various sanctioned methods of receiving discounts (SonyRewards, SonyCard), and since there are methods of obtaining content and converting it to LRF (so that I'm not locked into Sony Connect), it seems like the Sony Reader is the device I'll end up with, once a few more stars align.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-17-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Advert
Old 03-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Stars Aligned?
Once again, am I summoned.

Taylor, what, Pray tell, was your kind offer?

Have some theories, and think that if I lived somewhere in walking distance of a Borders with Readers, would implement it.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I merely meant that I'm waiting for my 10,000 bonus Sony Rewards points for signing up for the Sony Card. That's worth US$100.00. I can in fact purchase the device from a Sony Retailer (including Vanns, or whoever has the lowest price at the moment), and earn 5 points per dollar for the purchase itself. Then, I can request that all my points be applied against the purchase, making the total for a Sony PRS-505 lise-gimboo-Electekit-EbOkken around $145 or so. I'm about 2 months out for all that to transpire.

Sony has ever-changing offers for applying for and using their credit card. Currently it is 5k points, but I jumped on the 10k point offer when they had it, briefly.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-17-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Keith Lommel
Keith Lommel began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 680, Sony Reader PRS-505 (Blue)
Quote:

This is a good sign!
Take this with a grain of salt. I just checked on PriceGrabber and it indeed shows the price as $255.77, but when you click through to order, Vann's wants $299.99 for it.

On a related note, I tried to place an order through Amazon last week and they were advertising it for like $263 through one of their partner merchants. I placed the order and patiently waited until today when I got an e-mail mysteriously saying my order had been canceled with no explanation. Now I get to re-order it at full MSRP and I've waited a week for nothing.
Keith Lommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I hope you at least reported that merchant to Amazon. Sorry you had to wait a bit, but it'll be worth it when it arrives.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
For those of you in the U.S. Military, Aafes.com has the PRS-505 for $289 with free shipping and no taxes. I just received my PRS-505 today.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Lommel View Post
Take this with a grain of salt. I just checked on PriceGrabber and it indeed shows the price as $255.77, but when you click through to order, Vann's wants $299.99 for it.
I reported the pricing error to PriceGrabber. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Pricegrabber also has other store prices incorrect for the 505. Way to go Pricegrabber.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Anyone know how "price comparison" sites like that work? Are they automated, or does someone enter all the prices manually?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

They are semi-automated. The participating vendors agree to supply details via a defined mechanism, such as SOAP. How the vendor updates/generates their own system is up to the vendor. I can very well imagine some vendors doing it via brute-force data entry.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks. If that's the case, it would seem that incorrect prices are the vendor's fault, rather than the site's.