Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-19-2020, 12:18 AM   #1
C_Gordon
C_Gordon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Blank Pages EPUB Conversion

Hello,

For a while now, I have been having issues with black pages popping up after an image whenever I convert to EPUB with Calibre. Sometimes there are blank pages even without images. It's very frustrating because I don't know how to remove them.

No, this is not an issue with the source file (Word). No blank are pages in my file, or section breaks discrepancies etc. These blank pages don't show up when I use another program to convert to Mobi. So I know it's not a source file issue. It's Calibre.

Is there anyone here who will be able to assist?

Thanks.
C_Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:35 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I avoid Bottom margins because they can force a new page even if there is no content.

Also since you mention Images: Think Box Model

The page is a box with a margin / padding.
Inside is a Body
Inside that is a Div or Paragraph with a picture
If you set the picture to the size of the screen, there are still those outer layers to render.

In the Viewer: Escape to get the Menu: Inspector
You can select a block (tag) and see what the Metrics are
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2020, 12:50 AM   #3
C_Gordon
C_Gordon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, @theducks. Thanks so much for your assistance.

I generally select "Tablet" (Unlimited Screen Size) for the Output profile when converting to EPUB, otherwise, the images will convert very blurry - I'm not sure that is what you mean by fitting the image to the size of the screen? (I'm not that tech-savvy).

However, it SOMETIMES works if I go to the code of the page that precedes the blank page, and delete any extraneous code I see at the end (like this: <p class="block_2" id="calibre_pb_0">*</p>). When I save the changes and preview the book again, the blank page would be gone. BUT it doesn't always work. That's why I am seeking a more preventable or permanent solution.

Is there anything that I am missing or doing wrong?
C_Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Gordon View Post
Hi, @theducks. Thanks so much for your assistance.

I generally select "Tablet" (Unlimited Screen Size) for the Output profile when converting to EPUB, otherwise, the images will convert very blurry - I'm not sure that is what you mean by fitting the image to the size of the screen? (I'm not that tech-savvy).

However, it SOMETIMES works if I go to the code of the page that precedes the blank page, and delete any extraneous code I see at the end (like this: <p class="block_2" id="calibre_pb_0">*</p>). When I save the changes and preview the book again, the blank page would be gone. BUT it doesn't always work. That's why I am seeking a more preventable or permanent solution.

Is there anything that I am missing or doing wrong?
You took the A-bomb approach to dislodge a Gopher
Most EPUB use very basic HTML / CSS
Let us dissect you excised code:
<p It is a Paragraph block
class= It uses a Style/Stylesheet
id= This is just a unique bookmark to be able to locate this spot
> the end of the P declaration
* the content to be displayed. usually text or images
</p> the end of the P block
OK, when (if) you blew away that entire code as shown, you removed vertical space consuming content. (think a brick stack for each block type tag)
Back to the CSS (stylesheet). 'Block_2' was the recipe the designer used to describe how to make a block used for that spot. Other spots will have specs (the mold) for the blocks to be used in those locations.
So you need to find in the CSS, Block_2 and decode (see what it does) the specs.

In your example, things are basic and simple
The C in Css makes it a bit more complicated to decode.
C for Cascade. Very simple stated: You start as before, but now you add a layer, rather than define a totally new block.

There are a few really good CSS tutorials here at MR (that is how I got started down this dark path )
Baby steps.
Make yourself a 'Sampler' book (use the Editor) to try things to see what happens when you change 'this&that' in the style
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blank pages