Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Kindle 2 - Still No Lock?

One of the most common complaints I've read about the Kindle 1 was the lack of a lock. I'm just not cool with a gizmo that's authorized to spend my money on Amazon not having any sort of password/PIN. I've just been through the Kindle 2 manual, admittedly not hands-on, and this feature is not listed anywhere.

I actually like the Kindle 2 a lot, it's as thin as my Sony Reader. While the inability to make anonymous purchases seemed "to hard" for Amazon, adding a "password on startup" was widely prophesied. It's a deal-breaker for me.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
One of the most common complaints I've read about the Kindle 1 was the lack of a lock. I'm just not cool with a gizmo that's authorized to spend my money on Amazon not having any sort of password/PIN. I've just been through the Kindle 2 manual, admittedly not hands-on, and this feature is not listed anywhere.

I actually like the Kindle 2 a lot, it's as thin as my Sony Reader. While the inability to make anonymous purchases seemed "to hard" for Amazon, adding a "password on startup" was widely prophesied. It's a deal-breaker for me.
It doesn't need a lock. It's not as easy as you think to make purchases without the original owner knowing as you would think. All they could buy is books and the original owner would be notified of any purchases via email and could have Amazon remove the books and issue a refund. If you've lost or had you Kindle stolen and you de-authorize it, the finder or thief can't even buy books.

A thief doesn't have access to your credit card information because they don't have access to your account because they don't have your password. So even if they surf to Amazon via the browser they still can't buy anything with your credit card.

Now if you're silly enough to have all your credit card and ID information in a file on your Kindle... all bets are off.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
See other thread where you complained about this. There are perfectly reasonable alternatives.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Just get one of those stickers like people put on their homes "This Property Is Protected By Acme Security"
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It doesn't need a lock. It's not as easy as you think to make purchases without the original owner knowing as you would think. All they could buy is books and the original owner would be notified of any purchases via email and could have Amazon remove the books and issue a refund. If you've lost or had you Kindle stolen and you de-authorize it, the finder or thief can't even buy books.

A thief doesn't have access to your credit card information because they don't have access to your account because they don't have your password. So even if they surf to Amazon via the browser they still can't buy anything with your credit card.

Now if you're silly enough to have all your credit card and ID information in a file on your Kindle... all bets are off.
It would be nice to have a lock to make it unusable to someone who took your Kindle, though. If you report it missing, Amazon will deregister your Kindle and the new person can just register it. They're not charging books to you but they get to use the device with Amazon even though Amazon knows you bought it and you're telling them it was stolen. They don't want to get involved. My husband's Kindle was missing a few months ago. (Luckily it was returned by a kind, honest person.) When I asked them if I there was anything they could do if someone registered it, they said no. I wanted to keep the Kindle registered to me and block it. They have no way to do that. People can deregister from the menu, so even if you register it to an account without a card, if they have the slightest idea what they're doing or poke around a bit, they'll figure out how to deregister it. If you locked both purchasing and deregistering, that would be quite worthwhile.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It would be nice to have a lock to make it unusable to someone who took your Kindle, though. If you report it missing, Amazon will deregister your Kindle and the new person can just register it. They're not charging books to you but they get to use the device with Amazon even though Amazon knows you bought it and you're telling them it was stolen. They don't want to get involved. My husband's Kindle was missing a few months ago. (Luckily it was returned by a kind, honest person.) When I asked them if I there was anything they could do if someone registered it, they said no. I wanted to keep the Kindle registered to me and block it. They have no way to do that. People can deregister from the menu, so even if you register it to an account without a card, if they have the slightest idea what they're doing or poke around a bit, they'll figure out how to deregister it. If you locked both purchasing and deregistering, that would be quite worthwhile.
Then wouldn't *all* ebook readers need a lock to keep thieves from using them.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Generally, other readers don't provide the option to purchase books on them directly.

(Not that I am arguing for a lock.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
I think Amazon is in a unique position here since you can register your device to an account through the device itself. I would hope that if I contacted Fictionwise, BooksonBoard or any other store with whom I had a registered PID (or the Sony Connect store with their Reader's ID) and told them my device was stolen, that they would block that PID. Amazon blocking a Kindle PID doesn't make the Kindle unusable, but it makes it far less attractive.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Generally, other readers don't provide the option to purchase books on them directly.

(Not that I am arguing for a lock.)
But as I said, it is not possible to buy anything other than books, you'll know about it right away and it's very easy to get your money back.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But as I said, it is not possible to buy anything other than books, you'll know about it right away and it's very easy to get your money back.
As I said, I'm not arguing for a lock. But I do understand why some people want one.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I think Amazon is in a unique position here since you can register your device to an account through the device itself. I would hope that if I contacted Fictionwise, BooksonBoard or any other store with whom I had a registered PID (or the Sony Connect store with their Reader's ID) and told them my device was stolen, that they would block that PID. Amazon blocking a Kindle PID doesn't make the Kindle unusable, but it makes it far less attractive.
I don't argue that. I would love for Amazon to keep a list of stolen serial numbers but in reality t would only prevent the thief from purchasing from Amazon.

As far as registered PID's, as long as there are computer PID's and DRM stripping tools, any reader can still be used by any thief. So again, all readers should have a lock, if they are going to have them not just the Kindle.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
I don't argue that. I would love for Amazon to keep a list of stolen serial numbers but in reality t would only prevent the thief from purchasing from Amazon.

As far as registered PID's, as long as there are computer PID's and DRM stripping tools, any reader can still be used by any thief. So again, all readers should have a lock, if they are going to have them not just the Kindle.
Do you mean a screen lock? I don't think most people would bother. I mostly just want a password on deregistering and for Amazon to block stolen serial numbers. Yes, the device would still be usable, but do you think most people would have bought their Kindles if they couldn't use Amazon's store? My point is that it makes it a lot less valuable therefore less attractive to a thief.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
but do you think most people would have bought their Kindles if they couldn't use Amazon's store?
Probably not...but it was not a selling point for me, personally, and I have never bought a book via my Kindle. Though I can imagine situations where I might do so, I haven't done so yet as I am generally near a PC and am used to purchasing that way.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Do you mean a screen lock? I don't think most people would bother. I mostly just want a password on deregistering and for Amazon to block stolen serial numbers. Yes, the device would still be usable, but do you think most people would have bought their Kindles if they couldn't use Amazon's store? My point is that it makes it a lot less valuable therefore less attractive to a thief.
I don't mean any kind of lock. I don't know what kind the O.P. was asking for.

I don't think thieves care about what the person who bought the item wants to use it for (buying books at Amazon). They just care about how they can use it. The thief could use the Kindle for reading darknet copies of Harry Potter books for all I know. They may not care to "buy" anything.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Probably not...but it was not a selling point for me, personally, and I have never bought a book via my Kindle. Though I can imagine situations where I might do so, I haven't done so yet as I am generally near a PC and am used to purchasing that way.
I was talking more about locking from people deregistering and reregistering a Kindle. The idea being that a stolen Kindle would be blocked permanently from receiving Amazon content, not just from initiating a purchase from the device. Most folks would find a Kindle a lot less useful if they could never purchase content for it from Amazon.