Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
mr.w0lf
n00b
mr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle touch screen rotating hack

-= WARNING =-
DO NOT try to use auto-rotate hack if you have updated your kindle to 5.1 version.. this will BRICK IT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try to sum all the method we got so far to enable / use screen rotation so far.

GUI launcher by yifanlu
Need JailBreak.
Link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1881677

Screen Auto-rotate by rastik

Need JailBreak.
Link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=41

seaniko7 has made a really nice installer you can find in the attachment, that works even with 5.0.3 update and fixes last-2-char bug.
version 5.0.1 is kept in attachments just for people who will need uninstaller in future.

Extract content of KTRotate_0.2.zip to your kindle via USB, safely remove it and unplug USB cable.
Goto Settings -> Menu -> Update your kindle.
Sometimes gives errors while installing, but then install smoothly.
IMPORTANT FOR KINDLE 5.0.3 USERS
If there will be a 5.0.4 update from amazon you MUST use the proper uninstaller, otherwise update will be blocked

MP3 method by mr.w0lf

NOTE: 5.0.3 UPDATE MAKE USELESSS THIS HACK, WE HAVE JUST STARTED WORKING TO FIX THIS.
Hi guys, after reading Yifan Lu work i was thinking about a simple way to get the screen rotation without the USB + SSH method.

Using his mp3 exploit here you are fast and simple way to switch orientation in your kindle, without have to jailbreak / install yfanlu (fantastic) launcher.

How to install
  1. Download ZIP & Extract content ( Rotate_refresh.mp3 & extensions dir)
  2. Connect your Kindle Touch to PC and open it as USB drive
  3. Copy extensions inside it
  4. Copy Rotate_refresh.mp3 ( you can rename it ) to /music folder
  5. Safely remove Kindle
  6. On Kindle menu select Settings -> Experimental -> Music Player & select our beautiful mp3
  7. Now you can rotate your screen as you want

Known Problems

Problem: In landscape mode, tapping to go to prev/next page stops working after 6 page loads or so.
Solution:
  • Touch the top of the screen and go back to the page, it starts working again (for 6 taps) {thanks to pirl8}
  • On main screen tap Menu -> Settings and Turn ON Page Refresh, problem is solved forever.

IMPORTANT!
  • Rotation works only while reading (i.e. not for the list of files in the Home)
  • As you can see in screenshot, mp3 player stays active, so while reading you just have to call the Menu bar to see it and switch rotation again

FAQ
Quote:
How does it work exactly?
Using mp3 exploit of Yifan Lu we show 4 buttons that let's you call the kindle function to rotate view

Quote:
Does it does it auto rotate?
Nope, you decide direction each time (just as K3)

Quote:
Can you uninstall it if you don't like it?
That's the nice thing: you do not have to install anything
(Jailbreak, SSH, whatever ) so if you do not like it you can simply delete the mp3 file.

Changelog:
[v0.1] Rewrote code to use pirl8 .sh file, so fixing refresh problem could be easyer in future
[v0.0] Initial release

Screen:

Video:
Attached Files
File Type: zip rotate-screen_smallbuttons.zip (8.1 KB, 4599 views)
File Type: zip Rotate_refresh.zip (8.9 KB, 4806 views)
File Type: zip KTRotate_0.1.zip (25.9 KB, 1955 views)
File Type: zip KTRotate_0.2.zip (291.9 KB, 3822 views)

Last edited by mr.w0lf; 04-14-2012 at 02:15 PM.
mr.w0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Why not use my launcher?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
mr.w0lf
n00b
mr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Why not use my launcher?
1) because i like to know what i am doing wrong, just in case it could be useful in future
2) because i missed it xD
Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
mr.w0lf
n00b

Problem solved: rotation doesn't work for menu, just for the reader, mp3 file was ok
Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
blackjack13
blackjack13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.w0lf View Post
Problem solved: rotation doesn't work for menu, just for the reader, mp3 file was ok
very good idea
blackjack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
actorman46
actorman46 began at the beginning.

How does it work exactly? Does it does it auto rotate? Can you uninstall it if you don't like it? It sounds cool, I love screen rotation on my tablet, Just wanted to see what this did first.
actorman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #7
mr.w0lf
n00b

Quote:
How does it work exactly?
Using mp3 exploit of Yifan Lu we show 4 buttons that let's you call the kindle function to rotate view

Quote:
Does it does it auto rotate?
Nope, you decide direction each time (just as K3)

Quote:
Can you uninstall it if you don't like it?
That's the nice thing: you do not have to install anything
(Jailbreak, SSH, whatever ) so if you do not like it you can simply delete the mp3 file.

I'll use your post as FAQ in the first one

Reference:http://yifan.lu/2011/12/10/kindle-to...kroot-and-ssh/
Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Nice job!

Maybe we come around with a font hacking now, that will be perfect...
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
In landscape mode, tapping to go to prev/next page stops working after 6 page loads or so. You have to touch the top of the screen and go back to the page and it starts working again (for 6 taps).

Maybe it's something related to screen refresh?

Last edited by pirl8; 01-12-2012 at 06:59 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
mr.w0lf
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
In landscape mode, tapping to go to prev/next page stops working after 6 page loads or so. You have to touch the top of the screen and go back to the page and it starts working again (for 6 taps).

Maybe it's something related to screen refresh?
Issue confirmed: even using yfanlu launcher problem exist, but even if i do not now exactly why, i have found a workaround: just turn on refresing ink every page turn
Old 01-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
1. I think buttons are really big and when reading the whole bottom screen occupies a lot of the screen estate. So what I did was to simply change height and width using a hex editor and use L, R, U, and D instead! I can upload this mp3 file. mr.wolf

2. Question: What can be done so that we won't have this issue even with partial refresh on (for both yifanlu and mr.wolf's solutions)?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 01-12-2012 at 01:19 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
GUI launcher is the prefered way to do this for me.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A nicer workaround could be to modify
  • automatically enable screen refresh when switching to landscape;
  • returning to default value (whichever it was) when switching back to portrait;

I guess that setting refresh on/off could be done with something like:

Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr refreshOnTurn 1|0
I don't know how it could be read.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
mr.w0lf
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
I can upload this mp3 file.
mail it to me, onceblackneverback@gmail.com so i can post it near mine.. include screenshot if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
2. Question: What can be done so that we won't have this issue even with partial refresh on (for both yifanlu and mr.wolf's solutions)?
pirl8 got a really nice idea.. i was thinking about something complex but that should be the perfect solution!

Just the time to edit & test & i'll post the working mp3
Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
... Just the time to edit & test & i'll post the working mp3
ixtab on another thread told me that configuraction values are in file:

/var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs

The line is obviously the one with:

Code:
device.refresh.onPageTurn=false|true