Notices

Old 03-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #121
jerrywyh
jerrywyh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
updated TWRP to include resetprop binary for easier OTA's
Just can't imagine that Max users can have TWRP!

I own a Nova, and a few days ago, I tried to root it with KingRoot, and then switched to SuperSU. I tried to install Magisk and the boot image was patched, and it failed to boot into system. I thought that Magisk doesn't work for Onyx devices, yet apparently it doesn't work for Nova only. I'm still struggling with how to fix the soft brick.
jerrywyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:46 PM   #122
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywyh View Post
Just can't imagine that Max users can have TWRP!

I own a Nova, and a few days ago, I tried to root it with KingRoot, and then switched to SuperSU. I tried to install Magisk and the boot image was patched, and it failed to boot into system. I thought that Magisk doesn't work for Onyx devices, yet apparently it doesn't work for Nova only. I'm still struggling with how to fix the soft brick.
Go to https://github.com/Hagb/decryptBooxUpdateUpx, clone/download the repository. Download update.upx from onyx website. Use this tool to decrypt the update. Flash boot.img from the decrypted update file, hopefully fixes your soft brick. You can use that boot.img to sign it with magisk and then flash it. I don't know where you get that Nova devices can't use magisk. Mine (Nova 2) works normally.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #123
jerrywyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
Go to https://github.com/Hagb/decryptBooxUpdateUpx, clone/download the repository. Download update.upx from onyx website. Use this tool to decrypt the update. Flash boot.img from the decrypted update file, hopefully fixes your soft brick. You can use that boot.img to sign it with magisk and then flash it. I don't know where you get that Nova devices can't use magisk. Mine (Nova 2) works normally.
Great! I'll give it a try! Thanks a lot.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #124
jerrywyh

Quote:
By the way, just want to confirm, by flashing boot.img, do you use RKDevTool? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #125
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
By the way, just want to confirm, by flashing boot.img, do you use RKDevTool? Thanks a lot.
I used fastboot.

From the first post in this thread:
Quote:
To boot into recovery mode:
Turn your device completely off (make sure your not plugged in to charger), then hold the home button, then while holding the home button plug your device into charger... wait until you see splash screen and release home button
Advert
Old 03-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #126
jerrywyh

Quote:
I used fastboot.

From the first post in this thread:
In my case, I couldn't boot into system anymore. I'm stuck at Onyx System Recovery. Choosing Power Off would lead to a freezing message "Shutting Down". I couldn't get to the complete off it seems. By complete off, I mean a total blank screen. Did I miss anything here?
Old 03-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #127
Galunid
Zealot

No, I assumed you can just power off the device. But since you're stuck in Onyx System Recovery, you can probably just chose reboot to bootloader, unless I'm missing something. There's no indication it's in fastboot mode though, you should just assume it is and do something like `fastboot devices` to check if your computer sees it.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #128
jerrywyh

Quote:
No, I assumed you can just power off the device. But since you're stuck in Onyx System Recovery, you can probably just chose reboot to bootloader, unless I'm missing something. There's no indication it's in fastboot mode though, you should just assume it is and do something like `fastboot devices` to check if your computer sees it.
Yes, it seems that rebooting to bootload is working. I mean when it shows reboointg to bootloader, through RKDevTool, it shows a loader device. Yest fastboot devices doesn't show anything. fastboot reboot yields only "waiting for devices."
Old 03-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #129
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qls0519 View Post
note2 flash your twrp.img. , following your guide.
reboot to recovery , stuck at a black screen
max3 should have the same chip as note2.
what should i do?
why would you assume that note 2 has the same chip as max? why would you flash an image intended for boox max onto a different device?
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #130
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
rkdevtool is for rockchip devices
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:16 AM   #131
jerrywyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
rkdevtool is for rockchip devices
Yes, I know. Isn't Onyx Nova a Rockchip device? Can we flash boot.img using RKDevTool? Thanks,
Old 04-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #132
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Does anyone know if this method would work with Nova 3?
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #133
Galunid
Zealot

It does
Old 04-07-2021, 06:07 PM   #134
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Quote:
It does

Was that a reply to my question?

thanks
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:53 AM   #135
Galunid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by loviedovie View Post
Was that a reply to my question?

thanks
Yup, that was reply to your question. I'd wait with flashing though, just do `fastboot boot magisk_patched.img` whenever you need it.