Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #121
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The speed of page turns and other things is going to be affected by how much time and memory is used by other things.

Features such as typeface kerning, automatic hyphenation, adjustable typeface weight and sharpness all require time and memory during the rendering process. Even if the rendering is done in advance and the results buffered, they still take extra memory which impacts on the speed of other things.

The question is: what is more important to reading? Pages that turn a fraction of a second faster, or those extra typographic features that are lacking on the Kindle?

There is a trade-off: you can do it faster, or you can do it better. I think Kobo has made the right choice.

(But of course, all the reviews will compare page turn speed while very few will mention kerning, automatic hyphenation, etc.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #122
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The speed of page turns and other things is going to be affected by how much time and memory is used by other things.

Features such as typeface kerning, automatic hyphenation, adjustable typeface weight and sharpness all require time and memory during the rendering process. Even if the rendering is done in advance and the results buffered, they still take extra memory which impacts on the speed of other things.

The question is: what is more important to reading? Pages that turn a fraction of a second faster, or those extra typographic features that are lacking on the Kindle?

There is a trade-off: you can do it faster, or you can do it better. I think Kobo has made the right choice.

(But of course, all the reviews will compare page turn speed while very few will mention kerning, automatic hyphenation, etc.)
It may be that all of the reviews compare page turn speed because that is more important to the majority of people. Even more important is having the page turn consistently when the screen is tapped.

I love my Aura HD, and I do read on it, I just tend to read on my Kindles more. The biggest reason I use the Kindles more is the touchscreen--for me, a capacitive touchscreen works so much better than IR that there's really no comparison. I love the way the Kobo UI is organized, I love the stats, and I really like the ability to make the font darker. All of that is completely useless, though, when I'm deep into a story and I tap the screen and move my eyes to the top of the page and see...the same page I was reading. If that happened once in a while, it would be one thing. Unfortunately, it happens two or three times in an hour of reading. Even worse is when I'm reading in bed, and the corner of the blanket touches the screen and turns the page.

I realize that there are people who have issues with capacitive screens, and for them, the IR screens on the Kobo readers are great. I had a lot of issues with the IR touchscreen on the Kindle Touch, too, and gave that away after about 2 weeks. The fact that I still use my HD at all is a testament to how much I love the UI of my Kobo. I just wish I could love the touch screen as well.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #123
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I just tend to read on my Kindles more. The biggest reason I use the Kindles more is the touchscreen--for me, a capacitive touchscreen works so much better than IR that there's really no comparison. I love the way the Kobo UI is organized, I love the stats, and I really like the ability to make the font darker. All of that is completely useless, though, when I'm deep into a story and I tap the screen and move my eyes to the top of the page and see...the same page I was reading. If that happened once in a while, it would be one thing. Unfortunately, it happens two or three times in an hour of reading. Even worse is when I'm reading in bed, and the corner of the blanket touches the screen and turns the page.

I realize that there are people who have issues with capacitive screens, and for them, the IR screens on the Kobo readers are great. I had a lot of issues with the IR touchscreen on the Kindle Touch, too, and gave that away after about 2 weeks. The fact that I still use my HD at all is a testament to how much I love the UI of my Kobo. I just wish I could love the touch screen as well.

Shari
That's exactly how I feel. My kindle just works. As much as I love to be able to darken fonts and tweak the reading experience, I rather stability and smooth page turns.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #124
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Thanks Dale, but it's the same link for me in Aus as the one I posted .... and no, we still don't get the H2O as a choice for comparison. Just the original HD. (Which is out of stock, and no doubt won't be sold here again)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #125
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Thanks Dale, but it's the same link for me in Aus as the one I posted .... and no, we still don't get the H2O as a choice for comparison. Just the original HD. (Which is out of stock, and no doubt won't be sold here again)

did you scroll down a bit. There is a whole second row of devices that are available for comparison.
https://www.kobo.com/devices/compare#ereaders

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #126
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard.ryefield View Post
Actually the Glo has a SD card slot contrary to the HD, so is well alive!

No SD card, no buy!
Didn't they already announce that the Glo (the original one) was going to be discontinued? I'm pretty sure I read that here. So, if you want the original Glo you probably should think of picking one up. (I don't know how many they have on hand but I do know that the Mini eventually ran out.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #127
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
FYI, I just successfully placed my order from the US with Chapters Indigo. Delivery Date May 22. Shipping was under $15.
They're addictive, aren't they?
Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #128
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
That's exactly how I feel. My kindle just works. As much as I love to be able to darken fonts and tweak the reading experience, I rather stability and smooth page turns.

Penny
My H2O just works. Yes, the page turn is a fraction slower, but it is still faster than the time it takes me to get my eyes to the top of the screen to continue reading. It's also faster than the time to turn the page of a pBook. So I don't see this as an issue. Also, what we have with Kobo is built-in hyphenation, kerning, and advanced font control. All of that does take some time so page turning can be slightly slower. What Kobo could use is a faster processor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #129
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

Honestly, the sharpest, best defined font I have on all my eReaders is the Constantia add-on font on my Kindle Touch. I thought I would like Glo's ability to adjust fonts, but no matter how much fiddling I do, I can't get the built-in fonts on the Glo to match the Constantia font on the Kindle Touch.

That said, it's all relative. The Glo's fonts are quite readable, I just thought they would be a little sharper and not quite as faded out. Without the "Glo" light turned on, the screen is "muddier" than the non-lit Kindle Touch's so, when reading on the Glo, I pretty much have to use the light -- even when the room is brightly lit up.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #130
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I read with a bold font. I couldn't live with the Kindle's font limitations.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #131
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Honestly, the sharpest, best defined font I have on all my eReaders is the Constantia add-on font on my Kindle Touch. I thought I would like Glo's ability to adjust fonts, but no matter how much fiddling I do, I can't get the built-in fonts on the Glo to match the Constantia font on the Kindle Touch.

That said, it's all relative. The Glo's fonts are quite readable, I just thought they would be a little sharper and not quite as faded out. Without the "Glo" light turned on, the screen is "muddier" than the non-lit Kindle Touch's so, when reading on the Glo, I pretty much have to use the light -- even when the room is brightly lit up.
For just a little bit more $ than the PW2, you can have a screen every bit as good as the Voyage. That's a heck of a deal. And with the Glo HD, you can install Constantia and use that as your go to font. You cannot do that on a Voyage because the Voyage cannot be jailbroken. The only way to use a font not on the Voyage is to embed in a KF8 eBook.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-08-2015 at 09:28 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #132
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
They're addictive, aren't they?
Oh, yes. I love kobos.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #133
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For just a little bit more $ than the PW2, you can have a screen every bit as good as the Voyage. That's a heck of a deal. And with the Glo HD, you can install Constantia and use that as your go to font. You cannot do that on a Voyage because the Voyage cannot be jailbroken. The only way to use a font not on the Voyage is to embed in a KF8 eBook.
That's what I do with all the books I put on my Voyage. Your Charis SIL looks great on it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #134
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My H2O just works. Yes, the page turn is a fraction slower, but it is still faster than the time it takes me to get my eyes to the top of the screen to continue reading. It's also faster than the time to turn the page of a pBook. So I don't see this as an issue. Also, what we have with Kobo is built-in hyphenation, kerning, and advanced font control. All of that does take some time so page turning can be slightly slower. What Kobo could use is a faster processor.
If I would be certain that I wouldn't experience multiple page turns per tap, I'd buy the glo hd. I used to have to reset my glo at least twice a week(usually in the middle of the night) because the screen would freeze. I was really loyal to kobo until I finally had enough of getting up at night searching for a straight pin for the reset hole. I actually want to buy the hd, but...do I want to chance it? Especially since I can't drive to a store and return it if I don't like it.(nearest indie store is three hours away)

Have you ever had problems with multiple page turns on your h2o?(or any other problems for that matter) I ask this because I have had my pw2 for over a year and have not had a reason to reset it once.

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 PM   #135
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
This may sound like a silly question but I'm not familiar with e-readers' technological advances since the Nook STR. What's the difference between capacitive and IR (which Nook uses) touch-screen? The Glo HD is of capacitive while H2O infrared?
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote