Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #121
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I am confused at the format of the books on the harlequin site. Can I read those on my kindle? E-ink that is. I don't see anywhere where it says what format they are or if they have DRM. I assume they do. There is no point with me trying to collect points if I can't figure out what the heck to do with a book from that site.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #122
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I am confused at the format of the books on the harlequin site. Can I read those on my kindle? E-ink that is. I don't see anywhere where it says what format they are or if they have DRM. I assume they do. There is no point with me trying to collect points if I can't figure out what the heck to do with a book from that site.
They are DRM'd epubs. If you want to read them on your kindle you're going to need Calibre + tools to do a conversion.
Advert
Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #123
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
They are DRM'd epubs. If you want to read them on your kindle you're going to need Calibre + tools to do a conversion.
Darn, never mind then. I am totally clueless when it comes to epub stuff. Only know how to deal with kindle books in calibre and tools.

Oh well, was a nice idea, but if I can't read a free book that there is no point in earning a free book.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #124
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Darn, never mind then. I am totally clueless when it comes to epub stuff. Only know how to deal with kindle books in calibre and tools.

Oh well, was a nice idea, but if I can't read a free book that there is no point in earning a free book.
If you've got it in Calibre after using tools that's the hardest part. After that all you need to do is covert to .mobi or .azw3. Easy. Click the convert books button then select format from the drop down in the pop up.

If you're nervous about testing it out I would suggest downloading a free book from the website and practising on that.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #125
Atunah
Wizard

Its not the converting I have issues with, its formats other than mobi/Az3(drm'd) to put in calibre that I have no clue about. Ones with DRM I mean.
But that is not for this forum. I'll stick with what I know and that is kindle books.
Advert
Old 01-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #126
apesmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I would think so. You just submit 5000 points for coupon code.

It says "Get your coupon code for a free ebook of your choosing (cover price value of $8.99 or less) redeemable at Harlequin.com" and "Get your coupon code for a free print book of your choosing (cover price value of $8.99 or less) redeemable at Harlequin.com" There don't seem to be any further restrictions other than price.
I bought a few more books and got a code for a free book which I used on another wishlist Avon title.

If anyone is on the fence about giving it a try I think it is a good deal THIS WEEK for AVON titles which aren't coupon eligible anywhere else. You get 300 points for signing up, 2000 for completing a profile which is a quick 10ish question survey, plus another 400 for completing really simple tasks. Then I spent $10.35 which gave me another 2000 points with the double points deal for this week (They are giving you points based on List price, not purchase price!!!). That gave me enough for a code that I used to buy another wishlist title.

When it was all said and done it worked out being 49% off list price for all the books I paid for plus my freebie which is pretty good for Avon titles not on sale.

This will be my go to place to get AVON books the publisher puts on sale. At the moment all titles are discounted 20%, even the $1.99 & $0.99 titles that are rarely discounted elsewhere.

But as long as the coupon situation on Harlequin titles stays the same at Kobo I'll be sticking to them for non-Avon titles.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #127
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
This will be my go to place to get AVON books the publisher puts on sale. At the moment all titles are discounted 20%, even the $1.99 & $0.99 titles that are rarely discounted elsewhere.
The 20% off price is the norm for Harlequin.com. Even on the 99¢ titles.

I don't usually have much luck with the Kobo contests, but will still try and probably buy many of my Harlequin titles there. However, the nice thing about buying from Harlequin directly is the books are available a month early (except the MIRA and I think HQN titles). Also, if you sign up for the newsletter they send a number of "spend $15 get $5 off" type coupons throughout the year. 30% ish isn't as good as what you get at Kobo with a good coupon. But combined with the My Rewards program I will probably shop there more this year than last.

ETA: Just discovered you can do the Facebook activities without having a Facebook account. So those are very easy points to add as well.

Last edited by library addict; 01-15-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #128
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The Look of Love by Bella Andre is FREE at all retailers.

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=prl1uLhp47IC
Old 01-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #129
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cindy Gerard's Killing Time is on sale for $1.99 Book One of One-Eyed Jacks (which is a spin-off of her Black Ops Inc series).

All Romace eBooks

Google

Kobo

Amazon

Spoiler:
“We can do this easy,” she whispered close to his ear as he groaned in agony, “or it can go real hard on you.”

Well, of course he wasn’t going to go easy.

New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Cindy Gerard plunges readers into the heart of a seductive contest of wills between a hard-living hero and a beautiful rogue operative who is on a mission to dig up the secrets of his past. Tension sizzles in this pulse-pounding first adventure in Gerard’s action-packed new series as Eva Salinas lures Mike Brown from the sultry streets of Lima, Peru, to the desolate Idaho wilderness on the hunt for the cold-blooded traitor behind a fatal military operation that haunts them both.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:38 AM   #130
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Is anyone else getting tired of potty mouth heroines? It seems every book I sample lately the heroine uses the f-bomb three times within the first few pages. I want to wash her mouth out with soap. Cussing has its appropriate place we all do when we stub our toe or slam our thumb in a door but this is getting ridiculous.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #131
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Is anyone else getting tired of potty mouth heroines? It seems every book I sample lately the heroine uses the f-bomb three times within the first few pages. I want to wash her mouth out with soap. Cussing has its appropriate place we all do when we stub our toe or slam our thumb in a door but this is getting ridiculous.
I find that I'm not as bothered reading swearing as I am listening to it, which is another reason I don't do a lot of audio books.

While I'm not a fan of excessive swearing I don't think it is anything new. There's a marked difference in books pre-2000ish and after. I guess in some ways I've just gotten used to seeing it. But I don't like the hero swearing a lot anymore than the heroine.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #132
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I find that I'm not as bothered reading swearing as I am listening to it, which is another reason I don't do a lot of audio books.

While I'm not a fan of excessive swearing I don't think it is anything new. There's a marked difference in books pre-2000ish and after. I guess in some ways I've just gotten used to seeing it. But I don't like the hero swearing a lot anymore than the heroine.

I could never get use to it and people never should let themselves become desensitize to such things. I agree hearing it is alot worse than reading but who wants to root for a potty mouth heroine. It's just a huge turn off and I totally agree a potty mouth hero is just as bad. If I had a daughter who talk like that well I wouldn't have a daughter who talk like that. It's just unacceptable. I haven't notice it until the last couple years but now it's like every book coming out lately.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #133
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I could never get use to it and people never should let themselves become desensitize to such things. I agree hearing it is alot worse than reading but who wants to root for a potty mouth heroine. It's just a huge turn off and I totally agree a potty mouth hero is just as bad. If I had a daughter who talk like that well I wouldn't have a daughter who talk like that. It's just unacceptable. I haven't notice it until the last couple years but now it's like every book coming out lately.
I live in Dublin where it's such a normal part of conversation that I don't really notice it in life or in fiction. An Irish woman who emigrated to New Zealand described a visit "home" really well: "I’d forgotten how casually the Irish curse, the f-word used as noun, adjective and verb all in the same sentence."
Old 01-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #134
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublincheri View Post
I live in Dublin where it's such a normal part of conversation that I don't really notice it in life or in fiction. An Irish woman who emigrated to New Zealand described a visit "home" really well: "I’d forgotten how casually the Irish curse, the f-word used as noun, adjective and verb all in the same sentence."
Yeah it's different if you hear say the British or Irish say it but here in U.S. it just sounds plain wrong and is not the norm.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #135
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

I think it's just the way a lot of people talk now, including here in the US. If the story is good, I don't notice it unless the swearing is really excessive. If the plot and characters aren't holding my attention it is something I tend to notice more.

So I can see if you're reading samples and aren't reading a book by a known to you author and/or are not caught up in the story why it would jump out at you more.
Closed Thread