Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2022, 05:06 PM   #121
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Of course, the Clara 2E is being compared to the Paperwhite and the new Kindle is compared to the Nia.

Look, I'm not going to switch to Kindle but the new Paperwhite and now the new basic Kindle are very nice devices and a very good deal for the price (though of course there's the $20 surcharge for ad removal).

My apologies - I forgot all about the Nia. I keep thinking the Clara is the base model
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:14 PM   #122
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's because the Nia is a weird glitch that probably shouldn't have happened ;o).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #123
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Of course, the Clara 2E is being compared to the Paperwhite and the new Kindle is compared to the Nia.

For me, the size starts the comparison.

Paperwhite - Libra 2

Kindle - Nia

? - Clara 2e
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:17 PM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I'm sure the new basic Kindle will dissuade some from switching. It is a great device at a great price, but "overdelivering on their competition"? Not so much. The 2E has better lighting, note taking, and of course the "feel good" eco thing.

Those are significant points of difference for Kobo to market. I doubt they'll be enough to overcome ecosystem inertia for many, but they are added value features that (imo) mean Amazon is not "overdelivering" against them.
And much better eBook management. Series, descriptions, word and page counts, collections, eBooks able to be updated without them being considered newly added, and no need to jailbreak. It's just another world away because of the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:19 PM   #125
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
For me, the size starts the comparison.

Paperwhite - Libra 2

Kindle - Nia

? - Clara 2e
Kindle 2022 - Clara HD 2e
Previous Kindle - Nia

That's how I see it.
Advert
Old 09-16-2022, 06:47 PM   #126
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindle 2022 - Clara HD 2e
Previous Kindle - Nia

That's how I see it.
I believe it is called the Clara 2e.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:22 PM   #127
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That's because the Nia is a weird glitch that probably shouldn't have happened ;o).
Exactly!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:42 AM   #128
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I think it should have happened, but at $80-$85, not $100.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:25 AM   #129
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And much better eBook management. Series, descriptions, word and page counts, collections, eBooks able to be updated without them being considered newly added, and no need to jailbreak. It's just another world away because of the firmware.
I agree, all of that, plus better annotation export (three methods) and not having your covers deleted.
Also a real "off" so battery doesn't run flat if not using it for a few months.
Ironically though the Kobo doesn't need jail-breaked it's so good that most people don't need KOReader. Plato or patches.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #130
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
All devices of any brand have unique features and what makes them good or bad is whether they suit our tastes and preferences better or worse. I have owned 10 Kobo devices and most of the features you comment on are not important to me. So if I had to rate it on those things my rating would not be particularly positive, and it would not stand out from other brands. I don't think the original Kobo software is that good (not bad either) and I think the patches (and KOReader) improve it significantly. But that doesn't make Kobo devices better or worse than other brands, just different. These dialectical competitions between brands and devices to see which one is better seem absurd to me. I sincerely believe that the main brands on the market have quality devices for reading enjoyment, and that the choice between a Kobo, a Kindle, a PocketBook, an Onyx Boox or any other major brand will always depend on our subjective needs and not on a supposed objective quality.

That said, the Kobo Clara 2E looks very good, as does the new entry-level Kindle for its range (or the PW5, which I think is an excellent device).
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 02:22 PM   #131
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
All devices of any brand have unique features and what makes them good or bad is whether they suit our tastes and preferences better or worse. I have owned 10 Kobo devices and most of the features you comment on are not important to me. So if I had to rate it on those things my rating would not be particularly positive, and it would not stand out from other brands. I don't think the original Kobo software is that good (not bad either) and I think the patches (and KOReader) improve it significantly. But that doesn't make Kobo devices better or worse than other brands, just different. These dialectical competitions between brands and devices to see which one is better seem absurd to me. I sincerely believe that the main brands on the market have quality devices for reading enjoyment, and that the choice between a Kobo, a Kindle, a PocketBook, an Onyx Boox or any other major brand will always depend on our subjective needs and not on a supposed objective quality.

That said, the Kobo Clara 2E looks very good, as does the new entry-level Kindle for its range (or the PW5, which I think is an excellent device).
With the Kindle is that I cannot stand KFX and KF8 does not allow kerning. I do think Amazon has taken the Kindle in a poor direction. KFX is a format designed to force DRM. Even when the publisher does not want DRM, Amazon forces it with KFX. All of the KFX features could have been implemented with KF8.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:27 AM   #132
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Clara 2E and Kindle PW5 comparison video from Good E-Reader:

https://youtu.be/6-3EYdh-AO8
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:38 PM   #133
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post

https://youtu.be/6-3EYdh-AO8

Still stuck in their PDF and manga comparaisons. And how both system work. Nothing for the user experience.

Anyways. I ordered a Clara 2E. Should receive it next friday or so.

I regret changing from the Libra to the Libra 2. It's a bit too heavy for me, as I like to read holding it in one hand. I like the 7-inch screen. We'll see.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:13 PM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post

I still think the Kobo software still dithers better. Have a look at same image on both at 7:26 and 8:06. With the image in the middle of the screen there is much more detail on the Kobo.

But one thing that was really wrong with this comparison was that they used different fonts at different sizes. They should have had them at what may be a normal size for reading with the same fonts at the same size.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #135
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Honestly do we even need to debunk the videos from GoodeReader at this point? We know they are biased and poorly researched (save for when they steal reports from others).
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote