Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #121
jravan
jravan began at the beginning.

Device: nook
And FYI, I used skindle on Windows to get the Amazon book I bought into Calibre without DRM. It should now be possible to copy to the nook without problems. Before skindle, I was trying unswindle/mobidedrm and Kindle4PC had changed again and was not one of the three versions that mobidedrm recognizes. But skindle seems to do what mobidedrm did but without requiring Kindle4PC to load the book into ram. All in all, a very slick puppy.
jravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #122
jravan
jravan began at the beginning.

Device: nook
@DiapDealer: (Can't stop thinking about this for some reason...)

I think what I would do if I were running Linux is build a Windows VM using VirtualBox and stop using Wine. I could use a VirtualBox shared folder to gets things to/from the Windows VM. Very clean. And everything that works on Windows will work on your VM.

The issue would be getting a version of Windows to run. But at this point, you should be able to find someone willing to give you their Windows XP install disk for an afternoon.
jravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #123
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
@DiapDealer: skindle is a command line utility and is written in C. It comes with source. Compile it on your Linux system. It should work.
It can't be compiled on Linux, it accesses Windows dll's to get the information it needs from K4PC. The problem isn't skindle running under Wine, the problem is how K4PC gets installed under Wine. The install creates a kindle.info file that is slightly different than the one created on Windows.

Quote:
But skindle seems to do what mobidedrm did but without requiring Kindle4PC to load the book into ram. All in all, a very slick puppy.
Skindle uses the decryption routines from an older version of MobiDeDRM. It works fine for the most part, but can result in corruption on certain ebooks. There's newer and slicker puppies out there

Quote:
I think what I would do if I were running Linux is build a Windows VM using VirtualBox and stop using Wine.
That's what I've been doing for some time now. It works, but I hate it. Using Windows in a virtual environment on Linux (Wine or VirtualBox) makes me feel dirty. I am unclean.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:37 AM   #124
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not sure, but you don't need an older version (unless you want/need to use UnSwindle for some reason). The K4PCDeDRM calibre plugin (which removes the DRM when you add a book to Calibre) and K4PCDeDRM GUI work great with book downloaded with the latest version of K4PC. So does LZSkindle.
I've actually tried both of these and neither seems to work for me. I have installed the plugin into Calibre but it pops up an error on importing the azw book that it failed and has to import the encrypted version instead.

I also tried lzskindle from the command prompt and it says it succeeds but the file seems to still be encrypted as Calibre generates an error that it is in topaz format and cannot be read.

My Kindle4PC version is 1.2.0 & my python is 2.6 on Windows 7. Not sure what's going on. My Sony 505 needs some love!
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:40 AM   #125
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
... but the file seems to still be encrypted as Calibre generates an error that it is in topaz format and cannot be read.
Converting Topaz books requires a different set of tools. You should be able to find details on a blog somewhere by "Apprentice Alf".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #126
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Ok,
I had looked at it but the posts had seemed to suggest to me that the K4PCDeDRM script replaced the,. I went back and used the origional referenced tools and that seems to have worked. Thanks!
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #127
kindle2owner
kindle2owner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Periodicals?

Any suggestions for reading/deDrming periodicals?

I have a backlog of periodicals that I'd like to read on my pc using Calibre or K4PC. I installed Kindle4PC, hoping to use K4PCDeDRM, but Amazon makes it very clear that periodicals are verboten on that app. I was able to deDrm magazines that I got pre-2.5 upgrade but everything after that was unDRMable (using mobiDeDRM). From what I've read that will likely be the case for skindle/unswindle.

Am I SOL?
kindle2owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #128
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If periodicals can't be downloaded to Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac or Kindle for iOS, then you only other option for removing the DRM currently is to get hold of a pre-2.5 Kindle 2 or a Kindle 1 and download to them.

Of course, since periodicals can't be downloaded indefinitely, you might find some issues caught in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle2owner View Post
Any suggestions for reading/deDrming periodicals?

I have a backlog of periodicals that I'd like to read on my pc using Calibre or K4PC. I installed Kindle4PC, hoping to use K4PCDeDRM, but Amazon makes it very clear that periodicals are verboten on that app. I was able to deDrm magazines that I got pre-2.5 upgrade but everything after that was unDRMable (using mobiDeDRM). From what I've read that will likely be the case for skindle/unswindle.

Am I SOL?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #129
kindle2owner
kindle2owner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If periodicals can't be downloaded to Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac or Kindle for iOS, then you only other option for removing the DRM currently is to get hold of a pre-2.5 Kindle 2 or a Kindle 1 and download to them.

Of course, since periodicals can't be downloaded indefinitely, you might find some issues caught in the middle.
Oddly enough, the pre-2.5 periodical that I unDRM’d opens just fine in the K4PC app. So I’m not sure why they’ve chosen to restrict periodicals from their app.

I don’t suppose it’s possible to fall back to a previous version of the Kindle OS?
kindle2owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 AM   #130
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle2owner View Post
Oddly enough, the pre-2.5 periodical that I unDRM’d opens just fine in the K4PC app.
Any restriction on which 'device' you can download periodicals to isn't a technical one.

And as far as I know, it's not possible to go back to a previous firmware.