Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #121
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Nope!!! A lot of electrical / electronics coming from China have the CE mark, when even a cursory inspection shows that it is of lower quality and the mark is a fake.

Even BIG retailers have been caught by this here in Spain. And to buy from a market / Chinese retailer is sheer lunacy. I've had dangerously faulty CE marked Chinese goods from Carrefour the big French hypermarket.

Maybe it is different in the UK.

But is it really worth risking your £150+ reader by saving a few cents ?
If it's something to be used in the USA, I would not use it if it doesn't have UL listed on it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #122
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I forgot about this thread. The charger arrived a while ago. I've just gone and taken a quick snap on my phone of it.

[Graphic WAY too large. Resize to MUCH SMALLER. = Moderator]

I'm quite happy with it.

Edit : Linked : http://halk.lyrebird.feralhosting.com/charger.jpg

Last edited by Halk; 01-03-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #123
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I am a big fan of the iGo system also.

I have a wall charger with multiple plugs for international use. But the one I use most often is the wall unit that also contains a battery. So when you are using it plugged into the wall, it recharges, so you can charge devices wherever you are.

Get a new device, just buy a new tip (if needed) at about $10.

I haven't used mine on my 650 yet, but I have the micro USB tip for my BlueTooth headset.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #124
rr4m
rr4m has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader 600
Lightbulb

Hi!

Actually you can use ANY USB wall-plug to charge your device. Here is the method:

1. Go to "Settings" -> "Advanced Settings" -> "Device Shutdown" and turn your Sony Reader off completely (not just with the power slider, but completely)
2. Connect it to the USB wall-plug - any cheap will work - the red light near the power slider will light up, meaning that Reader is charging. Don't turn reader on!
3. When it's done - the Reader will turn itself on automatically. Don't forget to unplug it that moment to avoid discharging)

Checked with my prs600 and a cheap noname usb adapter.
rr4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #125
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
If it were that simple,we wouldn't have a 9 page thread.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #126
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I am a big fan of the iGo system also.

I have a wall charger with multiple plugs for international use. But the one I use most often is the wall unit that also contains a battery. So when you are using it plugged into the wall, it recharges, so you can charge devices wherever you are.

Get a new device, just buy a new tip (if needed) at about $10.

I haven't used mine on my 650 yet, but I have the micro USB tip for my BlueTooth headset.
It will work for your 650. I use it with mine with no problem at all.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr4m View Post
Hi!

Actually you can use ANY USB wall-plug to charge your device. Here is the method:

1. Go to "Settings" -> "Advanced Settings" -> "Device Shutdown" and turn your Sony Reader off completely (not just with the power slider, but completely)
2. Connect it to the USB wall-plug - any cheap will work - the red light near the power slider will light up, meaning that Reader is charging. Don't turn reader on!
3. When it's done - the Reader will turn itself on automatically. Don't forget to unplug it that moment to avoid discharging)

Actually, this is not 100% accurate. A wall wart that works with an Apple device will not work with a Sony Reader. Apple is non-standard.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #128
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGB View Post
It is that simple. We just have lots of posts about what we are using or may want to use.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #129
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
rr4m, if you want to turn your reader fully off, it isn't necessary to wade through the menus, just use the power switch but hold it in the fully slid across position until message comes on screen asking if you want to turn it off.

Power switch - slide and release = sleep

Power switch - slide and hold = power off option
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #130
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, this is not 100% accurate. A wall wart that works with an Apple device will not work with a Sony Reader. Apple is non-standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is that simple. We just have lots of posts about what we are using or may want to use.
Make up your mind
Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #131
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As said elsewhere, if it were that simple then we might not need a thread this long so in order...

1. Save digging for menus, use power switch but slide AND HOLD then off to switch off appears.

2a. Any USB won't work... needs right arrangement of setup on pins... example, devices that'll power Apple do not seem to work.

2b. Action that occurs depends on charger... for my use, the whole point of external charger, is that correct format DOES allow reading whilst charging so this would require the eReader to be turned on... and then a little lightning bolt/arrow symbol also appears by battery bars to show it's charging.

3. Chargers don't suddenly start discharging your batteries when charging finished... this behaviour only occurs when using a computer to charge and that computer goes to sleep or hibernates whilst charging...

Quote:
Hi!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #132
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
wrong thread, sorry
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #133
rr4m
rr4m has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGB View Post
It is simple, just give it a try)

Okay, for the non-believers :-) - I took a mini-usb cable, cut off D+ and D- wires completely, connected GND and +5V into the simple 5V AC Power Supply (adjustable). When the Reader is switched off completely - it charges via this basic mini-usb cable with no problems. See the picture below.

Conclusion:
1. When the reader is turned OFF completely, you can charge it with
- usb port of hibernated PC
- any usb wall-plug
- simply connecting +5V and GND to appropriate usb socket pins
During the charge the Red LED on Reader is on, after the charge device powers itself on and stops charging.

2. When the reader is ON, you can charge it using
- usb port of turned on PC
- one of the power supplies listed in this thread. Personally I don't have one :-)
During the charge the display is on, you can see battery icon, filling.

Image - charging with +5V and GND connected only:
rr4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #134
AGB
Headbutting stupidity

Quote:

Okay, for the non-believers :-) - I took a mini-usb cable, cut off D+ and D- wires completely, connected GND and +5V into the simple 5V AC Power Supply (adjustable). When the Reader is switched off completely - it charges via this basic mini-usb cable with no problems. See the picture below.
You consider that "a simple solution"?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #135
elcreative
Wizard

If that is your idea of simple then I'd hate to see complicated.

I've been doing this sort of thing for decades but if you paid much attention to these threads, you'd realise that most users begging for help, are pretty much non-tech knowledgable/capable and require straightforward solutions such as... use "this cable," "that PSU," don't use the ??? PSU."

Hacking things apart is not simple for these users but scary, tech stuff when all they want, is to read a book.

Quote: