Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #12796
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Invisible Prey by John Sandford. Classic Sandford; very good.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #12797
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't read non-fiction books all that often, but I thoroughly recommend this one to anyone interested in space travel. Dan Parry tells the story of the Apollo 11 lunar landing is a way that's as close as you'll get to "being there". The book takes you right through the mission, from takeoff through to splashdown back on Earth, interspersed with the background story of American manned spaceflight. It's very well written, and gives an absolutely enthralling account of the first manned lunar landing.

Very highly recommended.
Thanks Harry. I saw your post a while ago and decided to download a sample. Half a page into it I decided to buy it. Sounds very promising, with nerve and to the point. At least that was my impression from the sample. Looking forward to start it, will be travelling tomorrow so lots of time to read...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #12798
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i think my phase is over. i read A Dance of Death by David Dalglish (one of the best sword&sorcery authors going imo) overnight and now i'm reading Neptune Crossing by Jeffrey A Carver. i'm only about 15% in but i'm loving it.

i think i needed that mini break from reading lol. i'd finish a book then immediately pick up another for month's at a time and i think i just hit literary critical overload.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #12799
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't read non-fiction books all that often, but I thoroughly recommend this one to anyone interested in space travel. Dan Parry tells the story of the Apollo 11 lunar landing is a way that's as close as you'll get to "being there". The book takes you right through the mission, from takeoff through to splashdown back on Earth, interspersed with the background story of American manned spaceflight. It's very well written, and gives an absolutely enthralling account of the first manned lunar landing.

Very highly recommended.
I'm a bit surprised, Harry. Knowing some your other interests, I would have assumed that roughly half your reading was non-fiction.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #12800
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Nevertheless, I keep trying Next is Death in a Scarlet Coat by David Dickinson. My first with this author but not his first book.
This one was a brick. I enjoyed Dickinson's writing style but the story went on long, hard, rough and immovable. A few things he pulled out of the air at the end. Some plot development issues. Perhaps, if it was 75 pages shorter I'd enjoy it more. Rate it C [3 stars].
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #12801
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So _Origin_ by JA Kornrath is the first book in the Thriller collection I got for $.99. Only two chapters in and it is quite a interesting. I think this is going to be quite a page turner.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #12802
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
All that talk about the Mary Russell series made me very curious. On Saturday I bought Beekeeping for Beginners to see if I would like it and I couldn't stop myself from getting The Beekeeper's Apprentice after I'd finished the short story. It's the first time this year I have broken my promise not to start a new series before finishing two I'm currently reading, so after I finish The Dresden Files I can't start a new series to make up for it.

I love the story, though. I read 60% yesterday and will finish it either today or tomorrow depending how I feel after my dentist's appointment later today (finishing of a root canal treatment).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #12803
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ha! Another convert. Excellent. Sorry to break your promise, Rumpelteazer, but I think you'll find this a compelling series.

Meanwhile, I've had to pause my reading of the Elegy for Edie (the new Maize Dobbs book from Jaqueline Winespear) to read From Whence You Came by Laura Anne Gilman. This is a new book in the Vineart War series, written and published as a KickStarter project. As a backer of that project, I have early access to the final version so I'm going to jump on it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #12804
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just finished "After Death," by D.B. Douglas. I picked this up as an Amazon Freebie.

I recommend this book. It's excellently written, and well-thought out. The ending completely took me by surprise.

I'm now currently reading "Lie Down in Darkness," by William Styron. I'm very familiar with Styron's work, and have wanted to read this for a number of years. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, if your bent is toward serious literature.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #12805
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence M. Krauss (the updated version). This is a great book by a respected physicist that's not only for fans of the movies and TV shows, but for everyone who likes science and science-fiction. Very highly recommended.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #12806
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just started Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll.

http://www.amazon.com/Six-Frigates-H...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
So far a very compelling read, especially for non fiction.

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #12807
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just finished The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence M. Krauss (the updated version). This is a great book by a respected physicist that's not only for fans of the movies and TV shows, but for everyone who likes science and science-fiction. Very highly recommended.
Couldn't' agree more. Read this when came out in the 90's very much enjoyed it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #12808
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Exiles Trilogy by Ben Bova. I bought this when it was on special offer recently. Let's see if it was worth it!
Three sort-of connected novellas about interstellar travel. Showing their age a bit. Yes, worth the £1.02 I paid, but I probably should have passed on getting it considering the size of my TBR pile.

Next: Falcons of Narabedla by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I got this last year in a big Fictionwise sale. It doesn't seem to still be available there, but is available at Amazon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #12809
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Currently Reading:

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (81%)

- The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy by William Seil (44%)

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (42%)

- Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (28%)

Quiet has been on hold at my library for the last couple months. Finally it came back in so I've been trying to finish it.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #12810
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Meanwhile, I've had to pause my reading of the Elegy for Edie (the new Maize Dobbs book from Jaqueline Winespear) to read From Whence You Came by Laura Anne Gilman. This is a new book in the Vineart War series, written and published as a KickStarter project. As a backer of that project, I have early access to the final version so I'm going to jump on it.
Finished From When You Came, and enjoyed it. It's novella length, not a full book, and definitely one you need to have read others in the universe to fully get. But very much worth the read. I'd say a 4 out of 5.

Next up: back to Elegy for Edie, which I am enjoying quite a bit.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote