Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a better than average driver?
I am a very good driver. Among the very best there is. 12 19.67%
I am without doubt a better than average driver. 22 36.07%
I am just a little better than average driver. Most of the time. 11 18.03%
I am just a slightly worse than average driver. Usually. 4 6.56%
I am without doubt a worse than average driver. 2 3.28%
I am so bad at driving that I am surprised they let me. 2 3.28%
I don't drive. 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 AM   #106
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Driving tailgaters crazy is a hobby of mine.
You want to ride my bumper, that's fine.
I want to go 10 miles an hour. That's fair, right?
I had one jerk get so mad, he tried to pass me on the shoulder.
He was so busy screaming at me, he never saw the guardrail.
ooohhh! I always try that, but it never works for me! But often I find that simply removing your foot from the gas (no braking, simply brake on the engine) works perfectly, as they don't get a visual clue and suddenly are only cm's away from the car in front... That often scares them enough to keep a distance
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #107
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
seriously. when this happens to me, I realize that I am arrived at my destination, even if it is in the middle of nowhere on a mountain road, under pouring rain. I carefully and prudently stop the car and let them go toward their luminous destiny
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 03:18 AM   #108
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
ooohhh! I always try that, but it never works for me! But often I find that simply removing your foot from the gas (no braking, simply brake on the engine) works perfectly, as they don't get a visual clue and suddenly are only cm's away from the car in front... That often scares them enough to keep a distance
I might be very wrong, better, I am practically sure that I am almost totally wrong. But in any case, I got the impression that when you remember to release the hand break, you might need something more direct than the engine break. Unless you belong to that school of thought that believes that shifting gears is a male chauvinists trick to sneakily caress a nearby knee.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:25 AM   #109
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I might be very wrong, better, I am practically sure that I am almost totally wrong. But in any case, I got the impression that when you remember to release the hand break, you might need something more direct than the engine break. Unless you belong to that school of thought that believes that shifting gears is a male chauvinists trick to sneakily caress a nearby knee.
Who is talking about the hand break? You can break by pushing that paddle next to the gas and that third one, you can break by simply releasing the gas paddle and you can break by using the handbreak (but I'm not sure if you'll be able to keep the car on the road then...)

The advantage of releasing the gas paddle is that you don't show you're slowing down, so the car behind you can't react to it by pushing his break to the limit, but he'll crawl towards your rear faster than he probably likes...
Old 09-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #110
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Flattery can take you far

As far as a bar of luxurious dark chocolate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
next in my preference list are those that travel just a foot or two (half a meter if you like metric) in my back.
This is so generous. It protects me from being bumped by some incompetent driver, it occupies less of the road, which is generally a very good thing, and last but not least, it feels so cozy.

Quote:
I am so terribly sorry Sir, am I driving too close to you (says the one in front!)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #111
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Who is talking about the hand break? You can break by pushing that paddle next to the gas and that third one, you can break by simply releasing the gas paddle and you can break by using the handbreak (but I'm not sure if you'll be able to keep the car on the road then...)
No, I agree. Let's just hope that beppe has remembered to release the hand brake before actually going anywhere...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #112
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Once upon a time I lived where -30 and -40 (-34.44 to -40.00 celsius) was not uncommon.

I parked indoors at work. But when I drove home I had to plug in a radiator and engine block heater.

The point is, Beppe, Ea may drive on a flat tire in the morning as it takes a while for the "flat" area, where the tire sat on the ground, to warm up and become round again.

The first few times it happened I got out of the car and checked the tires.
I think we will have to go back to the last ice age for those kind of temperatures in Denmark Besides, I keep my bicycle indoors at night so that should keep the tyres well rounded
Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #113
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
As far as a bar of luxurious dark chocolate ?
Why, do you want one?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #114
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
The other thing that's quite fun is to put your foot on the brake pedal very lightly - just enough so that the brake light comes on - and at the same time put your foot on the gas pedal so that your tailgater thinks you are slowing down but you in fact accelerating. Alternate this with braking on the engine and they get very confused.

Anther thing that works to get people from up your backside is to get your passenger to pretend to take a picture of the the tailgater with their mobile phone.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #115
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Anther thing that works to get people from up your backside is to get your passenger to pretend to take a picture of the the tailgater with their mobile phone.
Must remember that!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #116
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #117
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Cool!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #118
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Risky, very dangerous in certain parts of Mexico and Southern Italy.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #119
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I tried the braking thing this morning... Didn't work. He did fall back a bit, but then, just as quickly, he crawled up my tail again!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 AM   #120
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tried the braking thing this morning... Didn't work. He did fall back a bit, but then, just as quickly, he crawled up my tail again!
very good. An experimental approach is highly appreciated. karma on your way