Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #106
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Sounds very much like the ipod release process. How do you know a new ipod is coming........watch for the channel inventory to dry up.

In most respects it's great inventory management, but very tough to get right. Miss it on the early side and you have the current situation with no product in the pipeline which leads to much speculation.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #107
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
In most respects it's great inventory management, but very tough to get right. Miss it on the early side and you have the current situation with no product in the pipeline which leads to much speculation.
Same as what happened with the Kindle over the holidays
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Same as what happened with the Kindle over the holidays
And I do think Sony cleaned up because of Amazon's mistake.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #109
sibill35
sibill35 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
I don't think Sony is at the point with their e-readers that they were with Betamax all those years ago (i.e. throwing in the towel). I see ebooks as one of those "megatrends" and there will be room for multiple devices. Can you imagine only one brand of DVD player? So I agree with Wolf and Goodbar, look for a new release soon. The 700 got crushed in reviews vs Kindle 2 and Sony has to (and will) respond.
sibill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #110
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibill35 View Post
Can you imagine only one brand of DVD player?
The problem there is that DVDs, Blu Rays, CDs etc. are standard and any company can make devices that play them (barring paying licensing fees).

eBooks need to get to that point and be like MP3s where you can buy from any store and read on any device.

If they try to keep it with different formats and DRM schemes, then there isn't as much room for multiple devices. Whatever has the biggest base and store will win out, an that's Amazon currently.

But I suspect Amazon will be like Apple and eventually learn that they can make more money selling non-DRM files that can be read on all kind of devices vs limiting their store to their own devices.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #111
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
If Sony were to release a new reader they would be taking out the older model (505) and cutting down prices on the most recent (700).

What I feel is that they might take a totally different tack. A new kind of device.

Personally I think that with so much going on in technology, a one application device will have no place anymore. Smartphones are an excellent example.

Sony will still sell ebooks. What we'll read them on will be different.

Vaio is strong, Umpc is gone, reader is going away... some new powerful device encompassing all those is on the way. Some newer type of display with the best atributes of all of them? A new type of eink? Color?

This is an interesting wait.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #112
akira28
Nameless Being

For what it is worth, I spoke to a Borders employee on Friday and he indicated that the Sony is on back order. I assume he meant the PRS-700 since another employee verified that that the 505 has been discontinued. However, the Sony Reader kiosk had been removed from its usual spot and was no where to be found.

These mixed signals are very strange. Sony pulling out is very possible since it occurred to their Clie line a few years ago. The similarities are striking. Back then, just after Sony put out it most high-end Palm model, which was ridiculously priced, and to less that favorable reviews (just as in the PRS-700), they scaled back operations to serve only Japan. But that pull back was accompanied with a press release and, of course, by that time, the PDA market was in decline which is dissimilar to the eReader market today.

Only time will tell.

Last edited by akira28; 07-26-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #113
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
For what it is worth, I spoke to a Borders employee on Friday and he indicated that the Sony is on back order. I assume he meant the PRS-700 since another employee verified that that the 505 has been discontinued. However, the Sony Reader kiosk had been removed from its usual spot and was no where to be found.

These mixed signals are very strange. Sony pulling out is very possible since it occurred to their Clie line a few years ago. The similarities are striking. Back then, just after Sony put out it most high-end Palm model, which was ridiculously priced, and to less that favorable reviews (just as in the PRS-700), they scaled back operations to serve only Japan. But that pull back was accompanied with a press release and, of course, by that time, the PDA market was in decline which is dissimilar to the eReader market today.

Only time will tell.
The Borders I was at today had both the 505 and the 700 on display.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #114
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
The Borders I was at today had both the 505 and the 700 on display.

These two models were also on display in Tulsa but, upon calling Sony, they were told they could not sell these last two display models and that they were to take the display and the units down.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #115
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
These two models were also on display in Tulsa but, upon calling Sony, they were told they could not sell these last two display models and that they were to take the display and the units down.

Don
Weird... Usually, when its the last one, they'll sell the device (usually for a discount) to anybody who asks... Cheaper than to send it back...

Edit:

I wonder... The major Dutch online (paper) bookshop (bol.com), has announced it will start selling the (a?) Sony at the start of fall, when they'll open their ebook site... They were still talking with other e-reader devices companies, but the Sony was for sure... It will be the introduction of the Sony to the Dutch e-reader market... But what device will be sold? The 505, which will be out of production (or so it looks like) or a new one?

Last edited by Sweetpea; 07-27-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #116
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I wonder... The major Dutch online (paper) bookshop (bol.com), has announced it will start selling the (a?) Sony at the start of fall, when they'll open their ebook site... They were still talking with other e-reader devices companies, but the Sony was for sure... It will be the introduction of the Sony to the Dutch e-reader market... But what device will be sold? The 505, which will be out of production (or so it looks like) or a new one?
Eburon says this:
Quote:
In eerste instantie gaat het bedrijf de Sony Reader aanbieden, voor 290 euro
which seems to presuppose that it will be a current model being offered (How I wish that journalists would reference sources for these assertions, like wiki does :P).. Still, October First is still a while away...
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #117
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Eburon says this:

Quote:
In eerste instantie gaat het bedrijf de Sony Reader aanbieden, voor 290 euro
which seems to presuppose that it will be a current model being offered (How I wish that journalists would reference sources for these assertions, like wiki does :P).. Still, October First is still a while away...
Actually, I first read about this in our local newspaper. And the Sony they had added as image was the 700...

And the question remains, what will be the "current" model? And it will be october before you know it! It's already almost August
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #118
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Price checking a gift for my 11 year old nephew, I checked my warehouse club's (BJ's) website and happened to see an ad showing that they sell the 505. Now that I think about it, I do remember them selling the 505 at the store in one of those annoying plastic packages that you need an industrial size blowtorch to open.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #119
acastillo
Enthusiast
acastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505, Apple iPad
Announcement date speculation

Looking real quickly at the threads from last year, word of the 700 seem to start coming out the 2nd week of September

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28964

So my guess would be that Labor Day weekend would be a good weekend to begin a "Coming Oct. 1 . . . " ad campaign.

Just guessing.
. . . . bigger screen
. . . . wifi / 3G

Last edited by acastillo; 07-27-2009 at 01:49 PM.
acastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #120
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
So glad I found this site and this thread... we were about to buy two units and could not figure out why the 700 was nowhere to be found. We were about to buy two 505s...

Best to wait then, to see what Sony comes out with. I really like the design of the Sony units. Looks like someone took the time to actually design a nice looking unit. Features aside, I just can't get use to how the Kindle 2 looks....

Thank you!! This site is now a keeper!
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote