Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-03-2022, 03:28 PM   #106
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
... Started sigil, it opened up an empty epub2 book. Typed ctrl-f, body, <tab>, somebody, hold down shift, click Replace All, and get the first image. Expand the window horizontally, that's the second image. Click Close, hold down shift, click Replace All and I get the third image which has the same geometry (both size and position) as the first image.

This is with 64-bit Windows 10 version 21H1 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I am not seeing that on my macOS build ...
I am seeing the same thing as snarkophilus on macOS Catalina.

However, the window geometry is saved when I do this instead: open epub, shift-click Replace All, expand window horizontally, click Close, quit Sigil (using command-Q or menu item Quit), re-open epub, shift-click Replace All. Window opens to last window size (expanded). Quitting Sigil after expanding the window seems to trigger saving window geometry?

ETA: I just tested this again. Quitting Sigil not necessary. Closing the epub (click red close button on Mac) then re-opening the epub also works to save window geometry.

Last edited by odamizu; 04-03-2022 at 06:04 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:53 PM   #107
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Which means that Dialog's destructor was not called until Sigil itself quit. The close event code I added should fix that issue.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #108
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which means that Dialog's destructor was not called until Sigil itself quit. The close event code I added should fix that issue.
Cool! Thank you! While I don't understand all the technical details, your previous comments made me think I should try quitting Sigil entirely to see if that made a difference in saving window geometry.

And for this wonderful feature. It is AWESOMENESS.

ETA: I just tested this again. Quitting Sigil not necessary. Closing the epub (click red close button on Mac) then re-opening the epub also works to save window geometry.

Last edited by odamizu; 04-03-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:32 AM   #109
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Confirming that I see the same behaviour as odamizu when I quit/restart with the 397 Windows build. Which I course I didn't see yesterday because I was removing my sigal appdata dir each time I tested to make sure I didn't have any previous configuration problems .
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:45 AM   #110
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
@KevinH: Look here.

Tested on the latest build including 1fc2a49.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil-geometry-save-issue.png
Views:	67
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	193085  
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2022, 12:02 PM   #111
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@BeckyEbook,

That is strange. I will look into it. I would have thought the closeEvent would be invoked if accept() is called.

Edit:

Based on some debug output the closeEvent() is *not* invoked when "accept()" is used to close the window. I had no idea and nothing in the docs say this will happen as the window is closed if I use accept(), reject(), or done() so as far as I am concerned this is a Qt bug.

To prevent it, I replaced all accept() calls with close() calls to literally make sure the closeEvent handler is invoked.

Just pushed that to master. If you get a free moment give it a try.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
@KevinH: Look here.

Tested on the latest build including 1fc2a49.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-04-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #112
KevinH
Sigil Developer

New Feature Test Builds for those interested

Hi All,

I have posted a new test build (402) for macOS and Windows here:

https://github.com/kevinhendricks/Bu...nMac/releases/

The addition is a Replacement Filter tool that will build a table similar to the one created by the Dry Run tool, but instead you can delete the rows from the table of any unwanted replacements, then when you are ready apply the changes.

Download:

Sigil-master-1fc2a49-build_num-402-Mac.tar.xz

or

Sigil-master-1fc2a49-build_num-402-Win-Setup.exe

To try this new tool, you must ***ALT+click*** on the ReplaceAll button. Note this new tool is modal (blocking) to prevent crashing from user changes behind its back.

Note if you build your own on Linux you may have to use META+ALT+click() depending on your distribution, Desktop used, and Qt version.

I have tried to add a tool tip to help people remember things. Check out the screenshot of the new Tool tip.

Nothing is carved in stone, and we are still actively debating the best way to interface these tools into an already crowed Find and Replace window.

Right now we have the following options:

a) Use SHIFT and ALT as per the test build but highlight the tooltip and give illustrations in an updated Sigil User Guide.

b) Convert Dry Run Replace into a Find All tool with a SHIFT + click on the Count All button (dropping the after replacement part of the table) and make SHIFT+click on ReplaceAll launch the Replacement Filter

c) Give the Replace All button and Count All button a pop-up menu (little triangle in the corner) so that you can choose from a menu.

d) any other good ideas people may have?

Anyway, give this new build and tool a try:

Please let us know:

- if you think the Replacement Filter makes the Dry Run Replace tool obsolete or visa-versa.

- if you think both are valuable?

- how best to make these tools available via the very limited space in the Find and Replace dialog?

Thanks,

KevinH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ReplaceAll_Tooltip.png
Views:	73
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	193086  

Last edited by KevinH; 04-04-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:48 AM   #113
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
... The addition is a Replacement Filter tool that will build a table similar to the one created by the Dry Run tool, but instead you can delete the rows from the table of any unwanted replacements, then when you are ready apply the changes.
Omigod, the Replacement Filter tool is AWESOME!

Note: the Replacement Filter tool window didn't hold its geometry at first. I had to close the epub then re-open it.

Quote:
a) Use SHIFT and ALT as per the test build but highlight the tooltip and give illustrations in an updated Sigil User Guide.
I am good with option a ↑↑↑

Quote:
Please let us know:

- if you think the Replacement Filter makes the Dry Run Replace tool obsolete or visa-versa.

I kinda think I will use the Replacement Filter most. Not sure if I'd say it makes the Dry Run Replace tool obsolete, though. I kinda like having both options.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:49 AM   #114
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi All,

I have posted a new test build (402) for macOS and Windows here:
Does this build include the closeEvent() fix? On Windows I see a changed geometry saved if I click on the X in the top right of the window, but the geometry isn't saved if I click the Close button.

Quote:
I agree with odamizu - this works for me too.

Quote:
d) any other good ideas people may have?
Maybe under the "other ideas" banner, what if the Replacement Filter had by-default-on checkboxes saying which changes to apply? If you delete the wrong change now, there's no way to get it back.

Quote:
Anyway, give this new build and tool a try:

Please let us know:

I think I can see myself using the Dry Run tool more often than the Replacement Filter, but would like to see both options available. The dry run is an explicit "let's just look" with no chance of accidentally making changes by clicking in the wrong place.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:54 AM   #115
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

@Kevin - I think there's a bug with the Replacement Filter not notifying Sigil that the document is modified. If I open an epub, do a normal Replace All and then quit Sigil I get the normal "The document has been modified. Do you want to save your changes?" popup. If I open an epub, do an alt-Replace All, click on Apply Changes and quit Sigil it just immediately quits.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:33 AM   #116
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Good catch ...

I will look into it.

Edit:

Okay, this was just fixed with my latest push to master. The fix will appear in the final test build hopefully this week sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
@Kevin - I think there's a bug with the Replacement Filter not notifying Sigil that the document is modified. If I open an epub, do a normal Replace All and then quit Sigil I get the normal "The document has been modified. Do you want to save your changes?" popup. If I open an epub, do an alt-Replace All, click on Apply Changes and quit Sigil it just immediately quits.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-05-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:37 AM   #117
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Glad to hear that people like the Replacement Filter as well!

Based on the feedback via pm and issues people have had using ALT on some keyboards and some platforms, it appears that option b) seems to be the best approach:

Quote:
b) Convert Dry Run Replace into a Find All tool with a SHIFT + click on the Count All button (dropping the after replacement part of the table) and make SHIFT+click on ReplaceAll launch the Replacement Filter
This means we can dispense with the use of the ALT key here completely.

The next test build (and hopefully last) will try that approach.

Thanks to all who tested and reported back!
Old 04-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #118
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
... it appears that option b) seems to be the best approach:

Is it possible to do option b) without dropping the after replacement part of the table?

Having the replacement part is helpful for testing backreferences. It's the only reason I chose option a) — I didn't want to lose the after replacement part of the Dry Run table. Thanks
Old 04-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #119
KevinH
Sigil Developer

That is doable. Makes sense now that I know why it was helpful.

I will add it back.

Edit:: Just added it back to master.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 04-05-2022 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #120
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@snarkophilus

Quote:
Maybe under the "other ideas" banner, what if the Replacement Filter had by-default-on checkboxes saying which changes to apply? If you delete the wrong change now, there's no way to get it back.
This is something to consider.
It is just that the dialog is already very very wide.

Also it is not hard to close the Dialog and re-launch it easily enough, especially if the number of rows to delete are typically quite small.

Let me think on it.