Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 01:22 AM   #106
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you are using Windows, I'd recommend Putty as an ssh client. While Putty also has SCP and SFTP clients for file transfers, either of @sherman's suggested programs would be my preferred options.
I tend to favour the SSH client built into Windows 10 these days, instead of PuTTY.

Mainly because it's preinstalled (I don't think you have to enable the client), and it's OpenSSH, so it's compatible with OpenSSH keys, where PuTTY uses its own key format.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:16 AM   #107
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
I tend to favour the SSH client built into Windows 10 these days, instead of PuTTY.

Mainly because it's preinstalled (I don't think you have to enable the client), and it's OpenSSH, so it's compatible with OpenSSH keys, where PuTTY uses its own key format.
I do as well. The only other thing I use is MSYS2+mintty if I need proper TTY support (although the new Windows Terminal should be able to handle it too) or WinSCP if I need better integration.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 02:47 AM   #108
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I do as well. The only other thing I use is MSYS2+mintty if I need proper TTY support (although the new Windows Terminal should be able to handle it too) or WinSCP if I need better integration.
Yeah, Windows Terminal is quite nice, although it still has its issues. Main I've come across is that there is no scrollback when using the inbuilt telnet client.

I found that out while connecting to my H2O over telnet.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:54 AM   #109
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Personally, I prefer Putty. The scrollback buffer can be a life saver. Perhaps if the Windows SSH client had the ability to save connections with meaningful names and the ability to easily use serial connections, I might reconsider.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:12 AM   #110
sherman
Guru

You can give meaningful names to OpenSSH connections. In my %userprofile%\.ssh\config file I have the following for my Aura H2O:
Code:
Host koboh2o
  HostName 192.168.1.194
  User root
And can connect using:
Code:
ssh koboh2o
Not sure what you mean by scrollback buffer in this particular instance.

But yeah, I don't think there's an in-built option for serial consoles, so...
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 03:23 AM   #111
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You can give meaningful names to OpenSSH connections. In my %userprofile%\.ssh\config file I have the following for my Aura H2O:
Code:
Host koboh2o
  HostName 192.168.1.194
  User root
And can connect using:
Code:
ssh koboh2o

I don't need to set a host name for the connection in Putty. Once I have established the connection to a device, I save the connection and give it a name such as PA3260-A and PA3260-B, Serial Com4 (a serial/USB plugged into USB port 1), etc.

And working with Cisco, HP/Aruba/Nimble, Palo Alto, etc., there are times when a serial connection is the only way to go. Nothing like a Cisco 3750 deciding to glitch it's configuration to make you appreciate a serial console and have extreme dislike for a cell phone.

As for the scrollback buffer? Simply that I can page backwards for the number of lines I specify in Window/Lines of scrollback. My usual setting is 4096. It's handy when you are trying to view the entire configuration output where some of our switches run to over 2000 lines. Set "terminal length 0" (Cisco), "show run" and then page back to the good bits. It reduces the swearing at the gentleman who got over-enthused in segmenting the network.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-16-2020 at 03:31 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #112
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
1. So you're saying that I have to run everything from the computer? Or can I use KFMon or NickelMenu to launch some things from the device itself?
2. The only thing I have really been able to manage is FTP with WinSCP.
Oh yeah, FTP is pretty useful.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #113
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. So you're saying that I have to run everything from the computer? Or can I use KFMon or NickelMenu to launch some things from the device itself?
2. The only thing I have really been able to manage is FTP with WinSCP, which apparently also has Putty built in... It's pretty useful.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #114
Elektron
Banned

Is there a way to launch things like Python directly from the Kobo without having to connect from a computer? If so, how? Can I use KFMon?
Old 07-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #115
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Is there a way to launch things like Python directly from the Kobo without having to connect from a computer? If so, how? Can I use KFMon?
You can use NickelMenu with the cmd_* actions to launch a command the same as you would over telnet/ssh.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #116
Elektron
Banned

How exactly can I launch Python 3 with NickelMenu?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #117
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You don't?

Python is a *programming language*.

python3 is the CLI shell for said programming language.

You could technically start the latter with cmd_spawn, but the I stands for "Interface", which means it's "Interactive" (and the CL stands for "Command Line"), which means you really don't want to do that.

What you *can* do is start Python *scripts* with NM/KFMon.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #118
Elektron
Banned

Ah... But how? Sorry, but I'm a *complete* beginner to this stuff.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #119
Elektron
Banned

Quote:
Code:
Host koboh2o
  HostName 192.168.1.194
  User root
And can connect using:
Code:
ssh koboh2o

I only have a user\.ssh\known_hosts file. I don't have a config file...
Old 07-26-2020, 12:31 AM   #120
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
I only have a user\.ssh\known_hosts file. I don't have a config file...
You need to create one.

Tags
ssh, telnet, tools