Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #106
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I put this right up there with the SmartWatch. How much am I willing to pay to not have to take my phone out of my pocket? Not much.
Unless you get the Galaxy Gear S, and which case you can leave your phone at home
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #107
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
At home, I don't really sit around with my phone in my pocket though. Maybe I am unusual that way. Echo is not a portable device like a phone, its meant for the home, living room and such. Plugged in.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #108
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Did anyone get the official invitation yet?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #109
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just did a search on amazon.com and it says usually ships in 3 to 5 weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...-keywords=echo
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #110
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Did anyone get the official invitation yet?
Nope. Still waiting for my invitation.
Advert
Old 11-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #111
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
No invitation, and thinking, other than the coolness factor, why would I need one of these?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #112
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
No invitation, and thinking, other than the coolness factor, why would I need one of these?
I want it for music and old time radio. From across the room, I can tell it to change stations.

Given time, it'll get more content. Would love to see Audible, Pandora, Live 365, Slacker, Spotify, and Stitcher added.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #113
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I want it for music and old time radio. From across the room, I can tell it to change stations.

Given time, it'll get more content. Would love to see Audible, Pandora, Live 365, Slacker, Spotify, and Stitcher added.
Would looooove Audible on it, especially of it could synch across devices!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #114
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Cnet has a report on the security concerns with devices that listen to us:

http://www.cnet.com/news/our-devices...ut-do-we-care/

Quote:

Companies say the risks are worth the gains, and they can be trusted. For example, Amazon keeps all the information Echo gathers securely protected in its servers, a company spokeswoman said. Any recordings it makes are, "Tied to your account to allow the service to be personalized for each user."

Asleep, but listening

The Echo's microphones aren't always broadcasting to the Internet. According to Amazon's frequently asked questions page, the Echo will only start recording and connecting to the Internet if you utter a "wake" word, like "Alexa" or "Amazon."

The Echo listens for the word using a voice recognition process that keeps data stored only on the device, Amazon said. When Echo does send information to the cloud, a ring positioned at the top of the device lights up. You can manually turn the microphone off if you want, and you can delete any audio Amazon has stored, but the company warns that "may degrade your experience."

Google and Apple offer similar systems for their respective Android and iOS-powered devices, using "OK, Google" and "Hey Siri." Microsoft's Xbox One video game console responds a myriad commands that begin with "Xbox."

Like with Amazon's Echo, Apple's Siri doesn't transmit any recordings to the Internet when it's idly waiting for a request. When commands are made, they're transmitted to the Internet, but with safeguards in place to protect the identity of the user. For instance, when Siri is turned on, the device creates random identifiers so the servers don't know it's you making the request. Google's voice assistant service works largely the same way.
Quote:

School teacher Elkins understands companies ultimately want to make more money off him using his data. But he's OK with it, as long as he gets something in return.

"It's a tradeoff," he said. "I'm willing to view Google ads in order to use Google for free, and I'm willing to allow Amazon to target me with ads if it means they're putting some (research and development) into pushing the boundaries for consumer tech."

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-16-2014 at 01:12 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #115
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I got my invite today. It is $100 off for Prime Members, so I pressed buy. I like Prime Music, Says it will be here on Thursday
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #116
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

*gasp* Jealous!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #117
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I haven't received an invitation.

The Echo app is now available at Amazon. It's also at Google Play. I was able to install it on one of my two Android tablets, but the other is incompatible. While on the sign-in screen, the app froze my tablet. After rebooting, I uninstalled it. I'll try again when/if I decide to buy Echo.

I'm looking forward to reading the reviews!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #118
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Didn't get an invite either and I really wanted one. Oh well.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #119
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I haven't received an invitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Didn't get an invite either and I really wanted one. Oh well.
I bet they ran out of the $100 discount invites. The next round of invites will probably be for a whopping $10 discount.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #120
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I bet they ran out of the $100 discount invites. The next round of invites will probably be for a whopping $10 discount.
Negative monkey!