Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I personally don't use them, but shelves seem to be a sore point with Nooks.
Collections
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #107
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself11 View Post
There is no problem whatsoever in releasing a white model, diversity is always good. But why did they end with the black model? Makes no sense.
^ this
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #108
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
How charming!

I have a slightly different recommendation, one I'm following: don't buy it. And please do feel free to complain about losing features you like. That, and voting with your wallets, are the best way to get them back.
Excellent advice
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But you have to contact B&N and let them know why you aren't buying so they know the reason.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #110
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Speaking of reading experience, what new can be added (software) to what we already have to give a new reading experience?
It would be nice to have the features in stock versions of readers which people add with patches and custom FW:

Fully customizable sleep screens, defeatable widow-orphan control, unhindered file directories, etc.

It would also be nice to see text-to-speech integration become a standard feature that one didn't have to buy a tablet and download Ivona to use. The Paperwhite's audiobook integration is a great option, but the Kindle Keyboard didn't limit you to audio recordings of entire books, which aren't always available or even desirable.

Besides which, not everyone wants a Kindle.

There's also the question of enhanced content, which CD-ROM books tried to offer decades ago, and which Kindle and Kobo are trying to incorporate into e-reader/library functionality.

I'd also love to see a dual reference mode, in which you could split the screen between body text and footnotes and scroll each independently.

Barnes and Noble are probably more interested in selling content than e-readers, which is why they stopped including a microSD slot, but I think their approach is shortsighted. Better to seduce the buyer with hardware options and then make purchasing from their store too easy to forgo. Samsung has the right idea even if their content store is pants and that company doesn't seem to be doing too badly.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-31-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #111
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
But you have to contact B&N and let them know why you aren't buying so they know the reason.
True you have to let them know. But i doubt it will help. I remember a similar complaint with non removable batteries. All the big names have them now. Most consumers got used to it. I think a similar thing will happen with the sd card slot issue.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #112
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
I went to BN today and held one and briefly checked it out.. Nice.. since I have aura hd and kpw2, I passed, but I think I will go back tomorrow and pick one up to fiddle with.. I like playing with these gadgets..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #113
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
There's a chain of influence that promotes popular complaints from less visible threads to more visible reviews. The lack of buttons was already noticed (critically) by some of the previewers so far. Guess how they knew that was something people were passionate about? They, or folks they are influenced by, read comments in places like this. They like to know what interests their readers so they can keep tabs on it and retain those readers. This is arguably a vastly more effective place to complain than B&N's 1st tier support line.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #114
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My initial thought was disappointment and what were they thinking! However, it looks much better in person than in pictures. I bought one (saved extra 10% with member's discount). I like it better than my original Glowlight which is probably going to be gifted to someone. If someone is happy with their current Simple Touch Nooks, then there is not much reason to upgrade. However, it's a decent offering. Certainly not less of an offering than the current models for their most likely target audience (which probably isn't power users in this forum). Definitely not something to make the competition take notice.

I really like the styling. Hated it in the photos! I wish it came in black or white. However, white is fine with me. I have a snow Nook HD and a white Sony T1.

I'm not crazy about the gray bezel, but it does feel nice in your hands. It's so light which is awesome! I like the aspect ratio. Hated it when the original STRs came out but appreciated it once I had one.

I don't like that they removed the SD card. I would have been happier without the SD card if they didn't restrict user content. Most of my books are from Sony and Kobo.

I hate the new covers. The guy at the store demonstrated it and even admitted he didn't like it either. I will wait to see what else they have in the future. I bought a $15 sleeve on clearance, and I have a spare STR case that I can use for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Maybe if Nook got the light right this time, then they will have an advantage over Kobo and Kindle after all.
They didn't get it right. It is better than first generation. More even and less light bleed. Also a little less blue. However, it is more on par with my PW1 regarding the amount of dark shadows. My PW2 is superior.

Quote:
Speaking of reading experience, what new can be added (software) to what we already have to give a new reading experience?
The software is essentially the same except for the home page where they eliminated the need to press the home button to see the menu. The user interface has a fresh, modern look to it. It reminds me of the differences between iOS7 and iOS6 from an aesthetic point. I like it better except I miss having more covers and your recent items on the home page. There is too much empty space. Too bad they can't add an option to swap between your recent books and the BN recommendations.

It still has the same missing features from the STR that bother me most. No single page refresh option and no Wikipedia lookup. I wish it had foreign language translation like Kindle and a dictionary lookup tracker like Kindle & Sony. I can't wait to see how the Kindle integrates Goodreads! Also I love the Kindle and Audible discounts & syncing.

Final verdict - I like it and it was a good upgrade for me for the better light and higher resolution. I like to support competition and don't like to see the B&M bookstores suffering. I wanted another EPUB reader with Light system since Sony has abandoned the US market. I still like my Sony T2 better than any ereaders if it weren't for the light. In my opinion the Kindle Paperwhite 2 is the most full-featured reader of this year's models, and it looks like it will be the one I use the most in the next 12 months. Mostly I just want to support eink readers since I don't want them to be replaced by tablets. Although I do like reading on my Nook HD!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #115
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I personally don't use them, but shelves seem to be a sore point with Nooks.
Nook shelves generally suck if you're trying to use books on an SD card (they randomly disappear). No SD card == no problem with shelves.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #116
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Nook shelves generally suck if you're trying to use books on an SD card (they randomly disappear). No SD card == no problem with shelves.
Actually BN did a firmware update that finally fixed this problem. Also the SD card allowed you to transfer large libraries from calibre and have them auto-sort into a folder based system that you could view in what the Nook calls My Files. Both Nook & Sony are better at organizing large libraries than the Kindle. I am hoping that Amazon introduces the rumored cloud collection system that helps to fix this problem at least a little.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #117
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I see absolutely no reason to buy this device. I'd honestly rather have a rooted regular Nook ST.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #118
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
I see absolutely no reason to buy this device. I'd honestly rather have a rooted regular Nook ST.
They are pretty cheap now. Get one.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #119
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Actually BN did a firmware update that finally fixed this problem. Also the SD card allowed you to transfer large libraries from calibre and have them auto-sort into a folder based system that you could view in what the Nook calls My Files. Both Nook & Sony are better at organizing large libraries than the Kindle. I am hoping that Amazon introduces the rumored cloud collection system that helps to fix this problem at least a little.
I gave up on shelves and used a calibre plugboard to update titles with relevant information like series and book number so that I could sort by author and have everything line up properly. And I'm pretty sure even with the latest firmware updates the STR is still finicky about shelves on SD cards.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #120
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

Barnes and Noble are probably more interested in selling content than e-readers, which is why they stopped including a microSD slot, but I think their approach is short-sighted. Better to seduce the buyer with hardware options and then make purchasing from their store too easy to forgo.
Uh-huh.

There are two approaches to walled garden hardware:
1- you try to make the hardware as desirable as you can to the consumer and after they buy the gadget they'll be committed to the content. (Apple and the gaming console vendors all do this. In ereaders, Sony and Kobo do it.)

2- people are pre-committed to your content store and will put up with whatever it takes to get to it. Cable companies do this. You want broadband? You want a few choice channels they carry? You buy the packages they sell. Take it or leave it. B&N has long taken this approach, assuming their B&M customers will automatically go with Nook and never consider anything else. The new glowlight embodies this philosophy to the hilt. The very features they used to highlight as differentiators to promote the hardware they now have ditched, producing a device with the same generic strengths as the competition and only one selling point: they're not Amazon.

Kobo has to be feeling better today than last week.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-31-2013 at 12:40 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote