Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #106
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Lurk mode off:
So.... Idpf did not protect their own standard? That's stupid.
Apple took the standard, adapted/ subverted it and made it into an Aplle-only format, while they are part of idpf? IMHO, that's without honor, but as you say, maybe where there's money, there is no honor. Matinee that's the reason why I'm not filthy rich.

It seems that companies, in the end, are just incapable of working together on a standard, and then trust in their *product* to seek stuff, instead of trusting in their *lock-in*.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-27-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #107
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
So.... Idpf did not protect their own standard? That's stupid.
What is there to protect?
At its most simple, it is HTML in a zip file, with some manifest files.
Are you going to try to patent that?
None of the added extras are something that couldn't easily be done in a very slightly different way if needed.
Microsoft .lit was HTML in a wrapper. mobi is HTML in a wrapper. ePub is HTML in a wrapper. None of it is rocket science.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #108
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Apple took the standard, adapted/ subverted it and made it into an Aplle-only format, while they are part of idpf?
No. Apple has done nothing with the standard. .ibook is not .epub.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #109
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
No. Apple has done nothing with the standard. .ibook is not .epub.
I didn't say they did anything to the standard, but they took it as a start for their own format.

It'd be the same as if I am a very big company, and you plus 5 other people are small(er) companies. We are working together on a product (with the intent to sell it, and then make money), and at 90% completion, I, as a big company say:

"Thanks for the work dudes. I'm going to take ALL our work, add some stuff here, change some stuff there so it becomes incompatible with your stuff, and then I'm going to sell it all on my own. And I can do it because I'm big."

That's honorless.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #110
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I didn't say they did anything to the standard, but they took it as a start for their own format.

It'd be the same as if I am a very big company, and you plus 5 other people are small(er) companies. We are working together on a product (with the intent to sell it, and then make money), and at 90% completion, I, as a big company say:

"Thanks for the work dudes. I'm going to take ALL our work, add some stuff here, change some stuff there so it becomes incompatible with your stuff, and then I'm going to sell it all on my own. And I can do it because I'm big."

That's honorless.
Umm.

EPUB is released under an open license and in open formats. The express intent of open formats is to be used in this manner.

I don't understand why people are surprised when open protocols are extended. This website you're on right now exists solely because people took open protocols and extended them.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #111
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
Umm.

EPUB is released under an open license and in open formats. The express intent of open formats is to be used in this manner.
No, they aren't. An open format is "open" so people can implement and use that format for free, to guarantee interoperability and make sure the format stays available far into the future. The possibility to extend an open format is only a possibility, not an express purpose.

Quote:
I don't understand why people are surprised when open protocols are extended. This website you're on right now exists solely because people took open protocols and extended them.
Of course an open protocol or format can be extended; that is no problem, if the extended format stays completely backwards compatible, and also free and open. This is not the case with the iBook-format, though.

And it would be good if the extensions are standardised, or you'll have 5 formats that all read the original spec, but when an extension is used, the formats become incompatible. Then you get something like HTML-hell, caused by Microsoft and Netscape in the 90's, which took 15 years to solve.

I hope the eBook-companies learned from that mess.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-27-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #112
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's simple, what Apple should have done is:

1) Used EPUB 3

or

2) If using EPUB 3 was not possible because it lacked some functionality (which I highly doubt, by the way) they should have released a document saying:

We are using this format named "ibook" it will differ from epub 3 in so and so ways, because epub 3 does not allow us to do such and such. Publish a specification for the extensions so that they can be used by other people without needing reverse engineering. Work with the IDPF to get their extensions standardised in the future.

That is the bare minimum they needed to do. Really, they should also have built some graceful degradation into their extensions so that .ibook could be used with epub 3 readers without too much loss of functionality.

That is how you support an open specification, while still retaining the ability to innovate.

Instead they chose to take whatever they needed from a community standard, build undocumented, proprietary extensions on top of it and not give a hoot for interoperability. That is parasitic behavior, pure and simple.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #113
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's simple, what Apple should have done is:

1) Used EPUB 3

or

2) If using EPUB 3 was not possible because it lacked some functionality (which I highly doubt, by the way)
I strongly suspect the opposite: that ePub 3 does too much. There is no ePub 3 viewer in existence at the current time. Apple simply wanted a format to support interactive multimedia books - the kind of thing that's currently done with book Apps. ePub 3 would have been an "over the top" solution for this. I know you'll disagree, but I think they've taken the right approach here. To have only implemented a small subset of ePub 3 features, and then to have claimed that iBooks was an ePub 3 viewer would have been vastly more misleading than the solution they've adopted, which is to make no claim that these files are ePub files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #114
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I strongly suspect the opposite: that ePub 3 does too much.
Then they could have said so. ibooks is a strict subset of epub3. Ibooks viewer programs will continue to support this strict subset of epub3. And defined exactly what that subset is. There is no epub 2 viewer in existence at the current time, either. That does not mean that every tom, dick and Apple should feel free to keep creating new ebook formats.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-28-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #115
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

If epub is too full-featured to be used for interactive books on a powerful tablet, then what use will it be on a small ereader? To be honest, I think that a subset of html and css is MORE than enough to create ebooks for simple reading. You said you liked my first ebook very much; I used... What..... 5 html tags, and 10 lines of css code or so.

Edit: Eh? No epub2 viewer either? Then what is everybody using now; epub1?

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-28-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #116
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then they could have said so. ibooks is a strict subset of epub3. Ibooks viewer programs will continue to support this strict subset of epub3. And defined exactly what that subset is. There is no epub 2 viewer in existence at the current time, either. That does not mean that every tom, dick and Apple should feel free to keep creating new ebook formats.
The reason that I don't personally see this as an issue is that these books will replace book Apps, which are equally iPad-specific. I'm afraid we're just going to have to disagree about this.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #117
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
The reason that I don't personally see this as an issue is that these books will replace book Apps, which are equally iPad-specific. I'm afraid we're just going to have to disagree about this.
Then they really should not have been called books. Perhaps .ibookapp, or .ibapp

I'm willing to wager whatever you like that people are going to expect .ibook files to be convertible to other book formats. They are going to have the (very reasonable) expectation that an .ibook behave like a book, not like an app.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm willing to wager whatever you like that people are going to expect .ibook files to be convertible to other book formats. They are going to have the (very reasonable) expectation that an .ibook behave like a book, not like an app.
People may have that expectation, but it's a flawed expectation. The whole point of this tool is that it's for producing interactive books, something that you just can't do with ePub 2, Mobi, etc. Hell yes, I'd be the first to agree with you that it would have been wonderful if Apple had produced a fully-fledged ePub 3 reader, but I just don't think that's a practical commercial proposition at the current time. I completely understand where you're coming from on this.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #119
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
People may have that expectation, but it's a flawed expectation. The whole point of this tool is that it's for producing interactive books,
That may be the point of iBooks Author (though even there I'm betting that people will use it to create non interactive books as well), but I am not actually complaining about iBooks Author, I'm complaining about .ibook, the format.

If Apple had released a tool called iBooks Author that created .app files that you published only through the apple app store, you would not have heard a peep from me.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #120
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I strongly suspect the opposite: that ePub 3 does too much. There is no ePub 3 viewer in existence at the current time. Apple simply wanted a format to support interactive multimedia books - the kind of thing that's currently done with book Apps.
Is there some rule saying that an epub3 file has to use all the things that epub3 can use?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote