Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #106
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Do the people on ignore know that they are? I assume that they don't, so I shouldn't even be hurting their feelings...
If it only would be so then I wouldn't have any problem with the ignore function. I don't use it but if members here feel that they need to ignore others to keep their peace of mind and the peace of the forum - fine.

What I really find annoying is bragging with having set someone on ignore. It's more than one time that I've read such a dialog:

A: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit …
(=not a tiny bit wrong with this post)
B: [quote=A]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit …[\quote]
+ answer Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit …
C: B, could you please stop citing A. I have him on my ignore list, this annoys me.

Don't know what you think about such a post that doesn't bring forward the discussion in any way. Is C simply selfish/self-centered/egotistical, is C deliberately hurting, is C just mischievous? In my mind, the ignore function isn't a peace keeping function in this case any more.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #107
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
If it only would be so then I wouldn't have any problem with the ignore function. I don't use it but if members here feel that they need to ignore others to keep their peace of mind and the peace of the forum - fine.
It's not so much "peace of mind/forum" for me, as "my time is limited and valuable; I'm not wasting it even glancing through posts of people who consistently don't contribute anything I want to read." If other people want to read them--find them entertaining, or informative, or a useful springboard for clarifying their thoughts--that's fine; I don't mind reading those other people's reactions.

Quote:
C: B, could you please stop citing A. I have him on my ignore list, this annoys me.

Don't know what you think about such a post that doesn't bring forward the discussion in any way. Is C simply selfish/self-centered/egotistical, is C deliberately hurting, is C just mischievous? In my mind, the ignore function isn't a peace keeping function in this case any more.
Yes, this strikes me as pointless. Ignoring someone on an open-participation forum means coping with the fact that other people's preferences are different, and you don't get to decide how everyone else will deal with someone you don't want to hear from.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #108
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Yes, this strikes me as pointless. Ignoring someone on an open-participation forum means coping with the fact that other people's preferences are different, and you don't get to decide how everyone else will deal with someone you don't want to hear from.
Exactly. I don't have any problem dealing with the occasional quoting of a hidden user's comments. Comes with the territory. And I certainly don't think there is anything to be gained by making anything particularly public about who you're ignoring. That's just rude, IMO. And to quote Alan Titchmarsh: "Now, Charley, we're not at home to Mrs. Rude".

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #109
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

What I really find annoying is bragging with having set someone on ignore. It's more than one time that I've read such a dialog:

A: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit …
(=not a tiny bit wrong with this post)
B: quote=A Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit …
+ answer Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit …

Quote:
I dare to disagree. I don't want the programmers behind this site investing their energy, time and wisdom in improving such a negative and destructive function as "ignore user" actually is.
Too bad the ignore function does not prevent seeing the quotes. And as you don't want the techs do spent time on this, Billi, there is always the possibility of me being rude and you reading it.

But then again, this could be ignored with ignore...

Oh, I forgot, you won't use it, won't you?

Last edited by Poppaea; 05-14-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: quotes were muddled
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #110
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I could kind of understand some responses. I use the forum exclusion option to hide many parts of the forum. I'm not interested in reading those parts and I'm limited on my time so why waste even a minute trying to sort it out when the hide option does it for me? I could be missing out on a lot of great conversation but I'll take my chances. Some of the people here are just trying to do the same thing on a user by user basis.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #111
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Oh, I forgot, you won't use it, won't you?

Yes, you forgot. I don't use it. So you can stop suggesting me to ignore you.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #112
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
It is a self deception. I am not doing it for the offender (to show that I don't read the offender's post), I am doing it for my peace of mind. The offender is not worth my emotion and time investment.
Agreed.

There have been times when I have used ignore, and only when I have been the butt of their sniping.

I put them in the garbage-bin where they belong.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #113
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Four times ditto, does that make it octo?
And feline?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #114
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Spoiler:
At this rate perhaps we ought to be posting under spoiler tags, allowing each other the choice as to whether to open the comments or not - that is unless one uses the Forum Spy .... which rather foils the process .....

Spoiler:
I used to use the ignore for one poster, and then I thought - what the 'ell - just skip over and it'll get better with age and tolerance ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 AM   #115
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
And feline?

One of the rare cases I exercised selfdiscipline and you spoil it Now who's bad?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #116
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Spoiler:
At this rate perhaps we ought to be posting under spoiler tags, allowing each other the choice as to whether to open the comments or not - that is unless one uses the Forum Spy .... which rather foils the process .....

Spoiler:
I used to use the ignore for one poster, and then I thought - what the 'ell - just skip over and it'll get better with age and tolerance ....
Trouble is, you'd need a spoiler to warn that the spoiler was from someone you wish to avoid
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #117
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Trouble is, you'd need a spoiler to warn that the spoiler was from someone you wish to avoid
Nah, you still see their avatar and their user name. Problem is, the whole board'd have to do it, as you never know who has you on their "hate liste".
Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #118
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

One of the rare cases I exercised selfdiscipline and you spoil it Now who's bad?
This bit of the thread has gone right over my head

Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #119
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
This bit of the thread has gone right over my head

Octofeline= Octocat= Octopu**y
Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #120
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Octofeline= Octocat= Octopu**y