Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjell_strom View Post
Hey everybody, I've received my V3 and I've made a video featuring it on Youtube. Please tell me what you think concerning the Vizplex issue.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gPBo81PPEwg

And a link to the Cybook video for comparison:

http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=6889

Cheers all. Anyone have any other questions, now that I have the device?
All I can say is that your V3 page turn speed is slower then my Sony (non-Vizplex) Reader (PRS500) page turn speed using the built-in fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #107
fjell_strom
Enthusiast
fjell_strom has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: HanLin V3 with Vizplex? Hmmmmmm...
Yeah, thanks JSWolf. Although I was showing a .pdf file in the video, .wol files using the built-in fonts do not make the page turning go any faster.

fjell
fjell_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, thanks JSWolf. Although I was showing a .pdf file in the video, .wol files using the built-in fonts do not make the page turning go any faster.

fjell
If that is supposed to be Vizplex and Vizplex is supposed to be faster, then either you didn't get Vizplex or the software inside the V3 is just slow.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #109
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The actual screen change seemed pretty quick. Are you sure it isn't just slow processing after pressing a button?
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #110
fjell_strom
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
The actual screen change seemed pretty quick. Are you sure it isn't just slow processing after pressing a button?
No, I'm not sure. I have no idea, nor any way to compare or verify. I'm waiting for the input of some others with V3's to chime in. In fact, I think I'm going to start a new thread about this.

fjell
Advert
Old 09-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #111
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Well, either I have seen a different video or ...I wanted to say it is definitely Viziplex because it turns pages almost at once. No latency at all. On Sony it takes 1/2 sec.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Well, either I have seen a different video or ...I wanted to say it is definitely Viziplex because it turns pages almost at once. No latency at all. On Sony it takes 1/2 sec.
If it's Vizplex, then the software is slow. (IMHO) I don't think that's all that good then.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:42 AM   #113
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Best I can tell it looks like a software issue. The screen has great contrast and refreshes very quickly. caching pages would greatly improve performance of the screen refresh, but how would you judge what to pre-render? Your asking for a low power device with a small processor to do predictive profiling of the user.

OK, I'm like everyone else, I love to look at a perfect uncut cake while eating it (i don't think thats quite the saying... but?) however if jinke releases the SDK in a timely fashion then I don't think this will be an issue. Heck with as cheap as memory cards are you could create a pre-rendered file format, and have the processor just move data from the card to the screen. (wasting resources where they are abundant always seems like a good idea till you need them later, hu?)
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #114
|2eason
Connoisseur
|2eason is on a distinguished road

Device: Tatung Tablet
There are people on this forum with the non-Vizplex version of the V3. If they could replicate the tests and conditions of the Vizplex video, we'd have a fair test that takes the software out of the picture.
|2eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #115
fjell_strom
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by |2eason View Post
There are people on this forum with the non-Vizplex version of the V3. If they could replicate the tests and conditions of the Vizplex video, we'd have a fair test that takes the software out of the picture.
Exactamundo. Anyone willing?

Also, it should be noted that Bookeen have apparently already succeeded in making incredibly fast page turning possible.

fjell

Last edited by fjell_strom; 09-23-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Exactamundo. Anyone willing?

Also, it should be noted that Bookeen have apparently already succeeded in making incredibly fast page turning possible.

fjell
If what you have is VizPlex then the page turn speed is being hampered by the software. I would guess the software is not very well optimized. You should have faster page turns then with my Sony.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:47 AM   #117
Elak
Elak began at the beginning.

Device: Jinke/lBook V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If what you have is VizPlex then the page turn speed is being hampered by the software.
Page turn speed also depends on screen controler. For now V3 has the same chip as V8, so screen refresh rate is the same. VizPlex results in more bright and contrast look.
Elak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:28 AM   #118
LVD
Connoisseur
LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.LVD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elak View Post
Page turn speed also depends on screen controler. For now V3 has the same chip as V8, so screen refresh rate is the same. VizPlex results in more bright and contrast look.
Lbook V3 adopt same controller with Cybook(OEM from PVI), and same Waveform, therefor the speed of updating screen also should same.
LVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elak View Post
In that case, then it definitely is the software lagging the page turns.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #120
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I see a lot of people complaining about the page turn speed on Hanlin, which is about 1.5 to 2 seconds max.

If you think this is slow, what would you say about Mobipocket reader on the iLiad with 2-3 seconds page turn speed!
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote