Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #106
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've posted this in another thread, but it's relevant to the use of the Kindle as a connected travel aide, and I just love it, so here it is again:
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #107
maverick777
maverick777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Be aware that 3G coverage in Europe can vary from grand in big cities to non existent in some areas that are still very touristic, so unless you are doing "Europe in 3 days" (me being a bit sarcastic here, sorry in advance), do not rely on your Kindle as a GPS ersatz, you might be very disappointed !!
Yea, I don't plan on using the Kindle for GPS directions but simply as a guide in a general area. Like I said, I will have my phone and prepaid sim card for more precise directions. It's just nice to have the Kindle for general information.

Although you were joking, I am actually doing a 10 day trip in which I'm spending 3 days in each city . (Paris, which I am very familiar with, Venice, and Rome).
maverick777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #108
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick777 View Post
Paris, which I am very familiar with
It still is my fave city in the whole world ( I am french, was born in Paris and lived my first 20 years there, I do miss it from time to time and have then to have my week-end there, next time being in 2 weeks actually !!!)
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #109
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
This has been a great thread guys. What I have learned is that there needs to be a kinook. The sony would be a whole lot closer to what I want if there price and their store wasn't so far off.
As it is now I still have no idea as no device fits. I may just get a kindle and live with it simply because amazon is so easy to use and they keep dumping out enough free books to keep me reading for a long time.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #110
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Well.. grabbed a kindle. The form factor is what really sold me. It just feels nice. The library books is the thing that bothers me, but I will work around that if necessary. Also I really like the constant flow of free books on amazon. I have already loaded about 15 or so to my account. Also smashwords and other sites like it all seem to carry mobi editions of their free books, so I am not stuck with amazon.
Anyway. Tough choice, I really like the nook too, but it just didn't FEEL as nice to me if that makes any sense.
I also like amazons simplicity. It just works for reading.
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #111
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I think you made a good choice... but honestly, I don't think you would have made a mistake either way. There is no one perfect device on the market... yet.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #112
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
Also I really like the constant flow of free books on amazon. I have already loaded about 15 or so to my account
Is this a wonderful world, or what?
I've spend a little time each day this week checking out the free book offers mentioned on the deals section here at MR and just Googling, and I've found so much cool free stuff, It'll take me quite some time to read it all!

If you're into scifi and fantasy, be sure to check out the free library at Baen:
http://baen.com/library/

Also, don't forget to update your "device" in your profile!
<--

Enjoy the Kindle!

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #113
owenfinn
owenfinn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Kindle 3
Just to update - I bought a Kindle 3 and cover w/light.

I have been using it here in Japan for the past couple days and am very happy with it. No problem with the browser or 3G wireless as of yet. I have my favorites bookmarked and I find it very useful to be able to pull up news sites wherever I go, especially with what is going on here. Only negative is the lack of a touch screen - too many buttons! I keep pushing buttons by mistake - I can`t seem to find a good way to hold the device. In these ways my Sony PRS 700 is better, but I love the Kindle`s beautiful Pearl screen, 3G wireless and really well designed cover.
owenfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #114
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
Well.. grabbed a kindle. The form factor is what really sold me. It just feels nice. The library books is the thing that bothers me, but I will work around that if necessary. Also I really like the constant flow of free books on amazon. I have already loaded about 15 or so to my account. Also smashwords and other sites like it all seem to carry mobi editions of their free books, so I am not stuck with amazon.
Anyway. Tough choice, I really like the nook too, but it just didn't FEEL as nice to me if that makes any sense.
I also like amazons simplicity. It just works for reading.
I can see what you mean. When I tested a Kindle in Target it did feel "nice". It was light yet sturdy. Plus, the design wasn't bad either. Maybe not the most elegant but certainly not the worse and actually kind of nice compared to some e-readers on the market. Each Kindle model has improved and Amazon has been trying to make it better. If I didn't dislike Amazon's business model when it comes to books, I probably would've gotten a Kindle with no qualms at all.

I love my Nook but it's definitely heavier and does have a different "feel".
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #115
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenfinn View Post
Just to update - I bought a Kindle 3 and cover w/light.

I have been using it here in Japan for the past couple days and am very happy with it. No problem with the browser or 3G wireless as of yet. I have my favorites bookmarked and I find it very useful to be able to pull up news sites wherever I go, especially with what is going on here. Only negative is the lack of a touch screen - too many buttons! I keep pushing buttons by mistake - I can`t seem to find a good way to hold the device. In these ways my Sony PRS 700 is better, but I love the Kindle`s beautiful Pearl screen, 3G wireless and really well designed cover.
Congratulations the Kindle is a nice device just got mine today and am loving it so far. But I also love my Nook it's all up to taste.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #116
Zarich
Zealot

Another thing I really like about the kindle is the fonts. I realize the nooks 1.5 brings the contrast nearly on par, but the kindle fonts just look better to me. Sharper and with more options. For example on the nook I found that medium to large was a bit of a jump. The fonts didn't change the text enough though I like the helvica or whatever it was, but that was almost a tad to bold. On the kindle I set it to 4th from the smallest and then use normal, condensed or serif to micro adjust the size. I really like that option.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #117
Spyderman
Spyderman began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Don't discount the ability to get e-books from the library. "Overdrive" is great, I get about 2/3 of my books from the library, and they're adding more every day as e-readers become more popular. Unfortunately, at the moment Overdrive does not have the Kindle format.
Spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #118
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Unfortunately, at the moment Overdrive does not have the Kindle format.
I don't see that happening. That would be a nightmare for libraries. Not only would they have to keep their ePubs at their current levels, they'd then have to duplicate them for the new Kindle patrons. Their tight budgets can't survive a hit like that.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #119
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't see that happening. That would be a nightmare for libraries. Not only would they have to keep their ePubs at their current levels, they'd then have to duplicate them for the new Kindle patrons. Their tight budgets can't survive a hit like that.
Well, by the end of the year, this will be a non-issue. You won't even have to deal with the de-DRM step, but download direct to your Kindle.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....678&highlight=
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #120
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Wow. That's an unexpected but welcome twist.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote