Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #106
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I just use Constantia on the Tolinos and Pocketbooks. On the Nook, Georgia, using the bold setting, is pretty good.
I couldn't get used to Georgia. I embedded DejaVu Serif Eink in my Nook books and that worked pretty well, until an update reduced contrast noticeably. Then I felt I was done with the Nook.

My favorite font is LexiaDama, which doesn't work without upping the weight considerably. I could change the weight with FontForge, but honestly, don't feel like bothering. Kobos and Kindles both have the option to adjust the weight of sideloaded fonts, so I'll stick to them.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #107
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Another review:

https://youtu.be/JcYAP-suArw
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2022, 09:58 AM   #108
dstaley
dstaley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Clara 2E has been listed on Walmart in the US. Sold and shipped by Walmart with an estimated delivery date of September 21.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1106117793
dstaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:06 AM   #109
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstaley View Post
The Clara 2E has been listed on Walmart in the US. Sold and shipped by Walmart with an estimated delivery date of September 21.

$134.32

Ouch.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:46 PM   #110
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
$134.32

Ouch.
Odd that it's listed close to $5 above list price. I wonder if that will change.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2022, 05:57 PM   #111
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Incidentally, I've noticed in the photos for the Clara 2E the 'book' they are showing is some Clara specific thing and the formatting looks awful. A full break between unindented paragraphs. If I thought all readers looked like that I wouldn't buy one.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:21 PM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Another review:

In this video, the screen does look quite nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:04 PM   #113
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In this video, the screen does look quite nice.
Yes, it does. I skipped through the video fairly quickly to get to the lit screen views near the end.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:49 AM   #114
dstaley
dstaley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just got my FedEx tracking number from Walmart for my 2E ordered this morning.
dstaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:37 PM   #115
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it just me, or did the announcement of the new basic Kindle suck the air out of the room for the new Clara?

I still prefer the Clara over the Kindle. But that new basic looks really impressive for what it is. Both that and the recent Paperwhite make Amazon look like they are overdelivering on their competition.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:09 PM   #116
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm curious about comparison between Libra and Clara screen wise. With no added layers on top, it seems to me Clara might be better, but maybe I'm wrong?
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #117
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
I'm curious about comparison between Libra and Clara screen wise. With no added layers on top, it seems to me Clara might be better, but maybe I'm wrong?
How do you mean no layers? Neither the Libra or the Clara has a flush screen. So they should be the same.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:26 PM   #118
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Is it just me, or did the announcement of the new basic Kindle suck the air out of the room for the new Clara?

I still prefer the Clara over the Kindle. But that new basic looks really impressive for what it is. Both that and the recent Paperwhite make Amazon look like they are overdelivering on their competition.
I'm sure the new basic Kindle will dissuade some from switching. It is a great device at a great price, but "overdelivering on their competition"? Not so much. The 2E has better lighting, note taking, and of course the "feel good" eco thing.

Those are significant points of difference for Kobo to market. I doubt they'll be enough to overcome ecosystem inertia for many, but they are added value features that (imo) mean Amazon is not "overdelivering" against them.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #119
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I'm sure the new basic Kindle will dissuade some from switching. It is a great device at a great price, but "overdelivering on their competition"? Not so much. The 2E has better lighting, note taking, and of course the "feel good" eco thing.
Of course, the Clara 2E is being compared to the Paperwhite and the new Kindle is compared to the Nia.

Look, I'm not going to switch to Kindle but the new Paperwhite and now the new basic Kindle are very nice devices and a very good deal for the price (though of course there's the $20 surcharge for ad removal).
Old 09-16-2022, 05:03 PM   #120
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
Both the Libra 2 and Clara 2E use the Carta 1200 screen @ 300 PPI, so in theory, they should look the same.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote