Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #1051
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I wasn't complaining about the content of the message box, just mentioning that it's a new addition. I've read a lot of commentary about how libraries dislike the Kindle book option because it takes you to a non-library site which tracks your books....it make me wonder what prompted this (sudden?) disclaimer.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #1052
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I wasn't complaining about the content of the message box, just mentioning that it's a new addition. I've read a lot of commentary about how libraries dislike the Kindle book option because it takes you to a non-library site which tracks your books....it make me wonder what prompted this (sudden?) disclaimer.
There is those privacy rights that a library has to follow (esp. In California) that won't be followed by going to Amazon. I believe the problem is history of books borrowed and such. It is not a problem per se since you had to agree to the different privacy policies at Amazon. It is just not library like.

Edit: just borrowed an OverDrive kindle book yesterday and don't recall seeing that "leaving site" disclaimer at my library in Ohio.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-27-2014 at 07:20 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #1053
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Overdrive recently redesigned their search site and now it's awful.

https://www.overdrive.com/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #1054
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Yeah, that looks kind of horrible. I just go to the online site for our area's digital library which uses Overdrive.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #1055
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

You're right, that website is horrible.

Fortunately, that isn't their search website, this is (amongst others) : http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...ncedSearch.htm
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #1056
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Ever since they got rid of the ability to see all the library's where a particular book was available, they have made it basicly useless for me.. I set up entries for all the books in my wish list in Calibre and use the Overdrive plug in insread.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #1057
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

-- OverDrive Link is a lifesaver.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #1058
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You're right, that website is horrible.

Fortunately, that isn't their search website, this is (amongst others) : http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...ncedSearch.htm
That is the Overdrive search website. What you linked is the search for the Brooklyn Public Library.

Sometimes you do have to use the Overdrive search in order to find what you want so you can get the information needed to put in a request. Also, if you belong to multiple libraries that use Overdrive, sometimes it's easier to use the Overdrive search to find which libraries might have what you are looking for.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 PM   #1059
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Ever since they got rid of the ability to see all the library's where a particular book was available, they have made it basicly useless for me.. I set up entries for all the books in my wish list in Calibre and use the Overdrive plug in insread.
But given the major redesign, it's quite possible that the Overdrive plugin might have to be redesigned in order to work.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #1060
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
That is the Overdrive search website. What you linked is the search for the Brooklyn Public Library.

Sometimes you do have to use the Overdrive search in order to find what you want so you can get the information needed to put in a request. Also, if you belong to multiple libraries that use Overdrive, sometimes it's easier to use the Overdrive search to find which libraries might have what you are looking for.
Nope, the individual libraries have their own search-for-recommendable-books filter. For multiple libraries... I use jhowell's excellent OverDrive Link plugin.

Quote:
But given the major redesign, it's quite possible that the Overdrive plugin might have to be redesigned in order to work.
Nope, it uses the individual library sites.

In fact, jhowell said he did that specifically because the www.overdrive.com website (which the plugin once used) was returning inconsistent results -- this leads me to believe avoiding it on general principle might not be a bad idea.

Either way -- is the need for an update a tragic occurrence? It happens...
But it doesn't need a redesign, because I am in the middle of my weekly re-indexing and thus far it is finding all the books properly.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:08 AM   #1061
YoYo
YoYo began at the beginning.

Device: Astak ezreader pocket pro
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Nope, the individual libraries have their own search-for-recommendable-books filter. For multiple libraries... I use jhowell's excellent OverDrive Link plugin.
I belong to about ten different libraries and have added all of them to the calibre plugin but still, I like to see what libraries actually have the book and now there seems to be no way of doing this.
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #1062
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Err, the plugin can show that???

There is a separate menu option for "Borrow book from" vs. "Recommend book to" -- and in the Book Details panel, only purchased books are listed.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:48 PM   #1063
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I'm wondering if something with the Overdrive login has changed? I haven't changed a thing and I'm getting the following error (I know this author has books @Brooklyn available for check out that aren't in my library).

Spoiler:

Overdrive Link found: 2 errors in searching. (click "View log" for details). 5 book/library links unchanged

Key: *=Discovered book, @=Available at, !=Recommendable at, $=Purchasable at, #=Audiobook

---------------- ERRORS WHILE SEARCHING ----------------

Signing in to MD Overdrive: : Server response error (Sign in form missing user/card field.)

Signing in to Brooklyn: : Server response error (Sign in form missing user/card field.)

-------------------- UNCHANGED LINKS ---------------------

Love: Undercover by Hailey North (No links)

Not the Marrying Kind by Hailey North (No links)

Opposites Attract by Hailey North (No links)

Pillow Talk by Hailey North (@Brooklyn)

Tangled Up in Love by Hailey North (@Brooklyn)

Search for books by 1 author
DeDRM v6.1.0: In __init__
DeDRM v6.1.0: In load_resources
DeDRM v6.1.0: verdir C:\Users\Julie\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\DeD RM\6.1.0
DeDRM v6.1.0: In initialize
Overdrive Link 1.28.0, calibre 2.21.0
Search formats: Kindle Book, Mobipocket eBook
Signing in to MD Overdrive (branch 4)
Browse: http://maryland.lib.overdrive.com/BA...rceLoginFlag=0 None
Redirected login url https://maryland.libraryreserve.com/...=Default%2ehtm
Browse: https://maryland.libraryreserve.com/...=Default%2ehtm None
Signing in to MD Overdrive: : Server response error (Sign in form missing user/card field.)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.overdrive_link.jobs", line 1127, in sign_in
File "calibre_plugins.overdrive_link.overdrive", line 381, in sign_in
File "calibre_plugins.overdrive_link.parseweb", line 72, in card_number_field
LibraryError: u'Sign in form missing user/card field.'

Signing in to Brooklyn
Browse: http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...rceLoginFlag=0 None
Redirected login url https://brooklyn.libraryreserve.com/...=Default%2ehtm
Signing in to Brooklyn: : Server response error (Sign in form missing user/card field.)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.overdrive_link.jobs", line 1127, in sign_in
File "calibre_plugins.overdrive_link.overdrive", line 381, in sign_in
File "calibre_plugins.overdrive_link.parseweb", line 72, in card_number_field
LibraryError: u'Sign in form missing user/card field.'

=================================================
Finding library books by Hailey North
Search MD Overdrive for all by hailey north
Cannot perform search due to sign in failure
Found 0 books in 0.0 sec
Search Brooklyn for all by hailey north
Cannot perform search due to sign in failure
Found 0 books in 0.0 sec
Unmatched book (unchanged): Pillow Talk by Hailey North
Unmatched book (unchanged): Love: Undercover by Hailey North
Unmatched book (unchanged): Opposites Attract by Hailey North
Unmatched book (unchanged): Not the Marrying Kind by Hailey North
Unmatched book (unchanged): Tangled Up in Love by Hailey North
Checking 0 unmatched library books, 1 author
Matching unselected books took 4.9 sec
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 PM   #1064
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Dunno, but report that in the plugin thread. EDIT: Done that.
It worked a day ago...

Keep in mind -- you only need to login to discover OverDrive Advantage books in your branch of a consortium. Brooklyn is not a consortium, so I don't put my card details in though I do for the Houston Area Digital Consortium.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-31-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #1065
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Oh my bad. Both threads show up in my subscribed list... this one just had more recent posts so I saw it sooner.

And... thanks for that info!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote