Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #91
jaybee104
jaybee104 began at the beginning.

Device: archos 7
archos 7 is ok to store mass amounts of music and movies and pdf but after filling 38gigs it started crashin for no reason its nice but im but to sell mine with all of the plugs to watch all music and videos files for $200
jaybee104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #92
jaybee104
jaybee104 began at the beginning.

Device: archos 7
coldson i need a mid with great video and audio and good web browsing between the v7 and 1060 what would you shoot for? thanx
jaybee104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #93
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekka View Post
Hey Coldsun I was wondering if you had any chance to test out bluetooth yet? I want to be able to skype but seeing how the device doesn't have a mic or a port to plug a mic in that leaves only bluetooth headset.

Can you see if you can connect a regular Bluetooth Headset and also do you know if AD2P will work on the device with the current firmware?

Also any chance the new firmware supports a bluetooth or USB keyboard?
Tekka,

You might try a usb earphone mic. I'm sure would rather not deal with the wire, but a solution until the FW allows for BT headsets to connect without error:
http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2867/.f Their are some wireless (not BT) headsets with mic, but most of those I saw were huge! I hope this helps.
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #94
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
@ jakeson

Just a quick reminder to give an extra thought when quoting large posts. Unless really necessary you should try to avoid as it makes the thread verrrrrrrrrrrry long and your point almost lost
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #95
Dvalin21
Zealot

CS,

I know in your review you pointed out how much resource it took for the A81 to play a youtube video. Does the new FW fix this or is it the same? Thanks
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #96
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
thanks and more questions

Thanks for the detailed response Coldsun! We are leaning towards the Wirelession for various reasons, but I have one more concern.

Our public library distributes ebooks in the adobe epub format (I assume DRM protected). They recommend using the adobe digital editions software. Is there a Windows CE program that can handle this format without any conversion? If so, which one? Does Mobipocket natively support DRMed epubs? We'd like to have the option of purchasing ebooks too (through Barnes and Noble and other stores). Thanks again!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #97
Dvalin21
Zealot

Any new updates on the A81/W1060?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #98
Dvalin21
Zealot

Everyone, I came across this today, I wanted to get everyones opinion on it. Its Ubuntu's MID verison of its OS. If I'm behind times please tell, but I figured I would go ahead and put it out there. It would be some awesome for the A81 or VQ7/V7.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile
Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #99
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
@Dvalin21 - I haven't had much changes with the A81/W1060 lately. I'm waiting on the Android image to be released and then I can update my review with information on that. As for the Ubuntu MID version, I believe there are several projects using that as the core to their own Linux OS. The UI stuff is very interesting, and a welcome addition to many of these devices. I'll see what else I can find out.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #100
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
@ColdSun: Do you think that the W1060 will be dual boot when Android comes out? Also I am looking for a reading software that allows for epub books. Do you know of any?

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #101
Dvalin21
Zealot

@Coldsun,

Thanks for the repsonse and thanks for looking more into the Linux MID. I'm very excited about the Android release, I hope its released early. And one question, I know you said your waiting for the image. Is it possible to reflash the system that already has an embedded OS? Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #102
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
@Ellen - I'll see what I can find on an EPUB reader. I *think* it will be dual boot, but they have been sort of tight-lipped about the Android information.

@Dvalin21- To be honest, I was told it would be an image, but that information might be incorrect. I'm still waiting to find out the specifics, and don't think I haven't tried! They just haven't told me much more - yet.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #103
Dvalin21
Zealot

Thanks again, I guess I will have to wait patiently like everyone else, lol. Anyway, last question for today i promise, but do you know if a usb earphone mic would work with this? I had suggested it to someone earlier in this forum, but didn't know for sure if it actually worked or not. I know this system only has one usb, but i guess that could be remedied by purchasing a usb hub.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #104
Tekka
Tekka began at the beginning.

Device: w1060
Hey Coldsun I just did received my A81 MID today and have a few questions on how to use the thing, I received a unit with the latest firmware which include screen rotation.

1. How do you charge VIA USB? I set it to OTG Mode or activesync mode and plugged it into my laptop but the Charging light and status icon did not indicate it was charging.

2. How did you install skyfire??? Practically every .CAB file I tried said it did not support this OS.

3. Do you know if comic book mobi full version will work on this device? I've tried an older free version and it gave me an error" dependencies missing"

4. How do you install .CAB files? I'm currently installing .cab files using a Windows Mobile phone then copying the installtion folder onto the SD card.

5. Do you know of any GPS map software that will work with the A81 mid? I tried using IGO8 8.3.4 and it crashes and restarts the device whenever i try to load it.

Somethings I discovered about the device.

1. WMplayer and windows media player is terrible, completely rubbish. It can't even play a typical xvid .avi 350mb TV show rip smoothly. The funny thing is the 2GB sd card that came with my machine had a bunch of .avi files in it including an episode of Heroes Season 3 Episode 3 which it could not play smoothly at all.

2. Coreplayer 1.3.2 works WONDERFULLY it played the same files at 100% speed from what i could tell. So for all those who want to watch videos use Coreplayer latest version for the best results.

3. Internet Explorer is just plain slow, this thing really needs Opera or Skyfire...

4. GPS reception is pretty sensitive. The included software in the SD card picked up many Sattelites even from my living room. Port com 5 9600 baud

5. USB hosting does work, I plugged in my Logitech VX Nano Receiver into the usb host cable and it works great but all my other usb devices seem to be unreconized. I think you need an external power source to power those devices that require more power.

I'm taking this device with me on my flight from LA to Toronto and will try to write a mini review for mp4nation.

Last edited by Tekka; 12-15-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Tekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #105
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvalin21 View Post
Everyone, I came across this today, I wanted to get everyones opinion on it. Its Ubuntu's MID verison of its OS. If I'm behind times please tell, but I figured I would go ahead and put it out there. It would be some awesome for the A81 or VQ7/V7.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile
At present it only supports Intel processors so not suitable for those ARM devices.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote