Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #91
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And before we go too far down the rabbit hole: you're not launching Sigil via calibre's Open With feature, or plugin, right?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #92
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Either way, we should track down which of those two signals are redundant during initial file opening and figure out how to drop the second one.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 08:13 PM   #93
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Has anyone who can produce the problems on Windows tried giving Sigil a dedicated Temp location via the Preferences setting? There are 3rd party gadgets that 'clean up' the Windows temp location given an opportunity.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:12 AM   #94
Selenia
Selenia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It is definitely the spell checking, when I turn of the option to highlight misspelled words, everything seems on par with 1.3.0.
The searches are quick, the right-click copy issue goes away and the occasional lag on the menus is gone.
The highlight matching tags does not have any noticeable influence.
What stumps me is why this does not happen on 1.3.0. with the spell checking on.
I have made some shots of my settings. As far as I can tell I am using the default temp location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings-1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	186624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings-2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	186625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings-3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	186626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main-window.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	186627  
Selenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:57 AM   #95
Selenia

Just to clarify that a bit.
It does not seem to make a difference which dictionary is used, or if you use just one, or two in any combination.
Advert
Old 04-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #96
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first time dictionary files are used (ie. Primary and Secondary dictionaries) they must be loaded into memory which does take some time but that should happen only once.

The code to spellcheck via the spellcheck dialog was changed greatly and that also impacts the code to do on the fly (red squiggley) spellchecking in CodeView.

I will take a closer look at the spellchecking code.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #97
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, I tested the current CV spellchecking code and it appears to be working as expected. The majority of the HTMLSpellCheck code is actually unchanged from Sigil-1.3.0 since most of the new multiple language code is kept in its own file: HTMLSpellCheckML.

The only code that could be involved is the SpellCheck code itself. It has to be modified to support both CV spellchecking and Multiple Language spellchecking.

I added some debug statements and the CodeView (CV) spellchecking code is mostly unchanged as well and nothing is duplicated that could slow things down.

You mentioned it took long time to load Sigil's Preferences and it builds a complete list of all dictionaries and user dictionaries each time Preferences are loaded.

So have you installed a large number of hunspell dictionaries or created a large number of user wordlists by any chance?

Are you using your own custom hunspell dictionary?

What is your Sigil Primary and Secondary Spellcheck dictionaries set to in Sigil Preferences when you run your tests?

There really is nothing that should slow down CodeView spellchecking at all. Whereas using the SpellCheck dialog is much slower than before because of the need to parse to detect the language of every word.

But that can not be the source of your slowdown.

So again, I am stumped. Regular CV spellchecking is actually faster now than before given speedups in xhtmlhighlighting speed (which is how CV spellchecking is done) but that did not change from Sigil-1.3.0 through Sigil-1.5.1 so that can not be the source of the difficulties.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #98
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I just noticed from your Settings in your photo - your Primary dictionary is the Dutch - Netherlands, yet the book you are testing (sherlock holmes) with is set use "en-US".

Have you tried running your tests with your Primary dictionary set to English - US and Secondary Dictionary empty?
Old 04-15-2021, 12:19 PM   #99
Selenia

Yes is did try that, hence my clarification.
I have done a complete fresh install of Sigil 1.5.1 (deleted the dir after uninstalling 1.3.0), no Dutch dictionary, set primary to US and secondary to none, it still slows down with the highlight misspelled words option on.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:36 PM   #100
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Then I am out of ideas.

The code for CV spellchecking has not really changed and according to my tests is running fine and at the same speed as Sigil 1.3.0.

I recognize that Sigil is not running normally on your machine and that is somehow related to spellchecking but in all honesty, I have no idea why and no one else even on slow Windows 10 hardware can recreate what you are seeing.

So I am not sure how to help.

Is there absolutely anything unusual or changed about your Windows set-up or Sigil Preferences that might give Spell-checking an issue?
Old 04-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #101
KevinH
Sigil Developer

One last thing to check, create an entirely new id on your computer and logout of your current id and log-in under the new id and try the Sigil-1.3.0 vs Sigil-1.5.1 test to look for spelling related slowdowns.

Also if you have access to any other Windows hardware, could you try it on that other system to check.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #102
Selenia

I did a test on my work system which is a SurfacePro4 with i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz and 8,00 GB.
I had no administrator rights so I had to use the portable version.
Guess what, no slow downs, even with preview on and two active dictionaries and highlighting on, performance was good.
So I went back to my own system and disabled my AV again, no luck. Disabled some Defender settings, no luck.
Then I realized that my backup software Acronis Tue Image 2018 also offers some protection routines.
And there I found that the program flagged both Sigil.exe and QtWebEngineProcess.exe as suspicious processes. I have white-listed them and now all seems fine.
Thank you for all your patience and support.

Last edited by Selenia; 04-15-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #103
Selenia

It seems that Acronis checks for a digital signature on exe-files. If there is none or if it is invalid and there is a lot of I/O it will mark the process as suspicious.
Maybe this is also true for other AV software and the like.

Last edited by Selenia; 04-15-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #104
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenia View Post
Then I realized that my backup software Acronis Tue Image 2018 also offers some protection routines.
And there I found that the program flagged both Sigil.exe and QtWebEngineProcess.exe as suspicious processes. I have white-listed them and now all seems fine.
Thank you for all your patience and support.
Good to hear that you found the source of your problem. It seems as if AV/system protection causes a lot of the issues seen with Sigil, calibre, etc.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #105
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't (and won't) sign the Windows Sigil executable. It's a form of extortion I refuse to give in to. Not for free software I work on as a hobby, anyway. Any AV software that flags an executable as suspicious just for not being signed with a Microsoft approved digital signature is broken, in my opinion.

Happy to hear you figured it out though! Thanks for persisting.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote