Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #91
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
updated AndroidFileHost with patched boot.img for new Firmware v3.0. Also fixed an issue with the magisk QuickSwitch module overlay fix.
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #92
this_is_sus
this_is_sus began at the beginning.

Device: none
I gotta say... I’m pretty excited to have found this thread. I have a Note 3 that I absolutely love, but keep WiFi off and don’t use it to its full potential because I hate that it constantly phones home. I was ready to just move on to something else since I didn’t think it could be rooted (so I can block that crap). Now I have hope.

Just making sure I’m not missing anything... instructions on post one will also apply to Note 3? I’m okay if I end up with a factory restore. I’ve backed up my notebooks. I can rebuild everything else.
this_is_sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #93
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by this_is_sus View Post
Just making sure I’m not missing anything... instructions on post one will also apply to Note 3?
No they dont
Old 12-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #94
this_is_sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
No they dont
Okay. Now I’m lost then. This information is wrong?

Quote:
https://github.com/Hagb/decryptBooxUpdateUpx
You put the update for Note 3 in the same directory as the program and run the command

"python DeBooxUpdate.py Note3"

Of course you need python installed and additionally Cryptodome library.
Then you simply use magisk to patch the boot image extracted from the decrypted update package
Old 12-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #95
this_is_sus

Well... anyway. I appreciate the effort you’ve put into this. I’ll move along.
Advert
Old 12-17-2020, 04:37 AM   #96
diabl0w
Connoisseur

Quote:
Okay. Now I’m lost then. This information is wrong?
I thought you were referring to the files in post one. Sure you can make your own files and adapt the instructions. I don't have that device so I am not sure if the kernel will load the magisk ramdisk or if its unlocked for that matter, but you can give it a shot and flash back to stock if that doesn't work. According to your quote, it sounds like it should work fine
Old 12-17-2020, 05:21 AM   #97
diabl0w
Connoisseur

with the help of CaptainThrowback from #twrp on IRC, I uploaded an experimental version of TWRP to the android filehost link. MTP/ADB are not working, and I haven't tested backups yet. But now OTA's are a hell of a lot easier to do, and recovering from magisk/xposed issues will be a lot easier
Old 12-17-2020, 11:41 PM   #98
diabl0w
Connoisseur

new twrp_betav2 uploaded. fixed usb adb/mtp! also updated to latest kernel. no splash screen delay, that was just an issue with my device's /data partition being very full. everything working except issues with keyboard in terminal and i still havent tested backups... let me know!

UPDATE: added new version, betav3, completely revamped UI so it looks much nicer on E-ink

Last edited by diabl0w; 12-18-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #99
scythiantis
scythiantis began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Max Lumi
Just stumbled on this thread and I'm blown away by the incredible work.

One thing I am wondering: Is there a way to root the Max Lumi? Or do these instructions only apply to the Max 3?

I recently purchased a Lumi but without root access, it's hard to justify keeping this device
scythiantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:25 AM   #100
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Get EDL cable, see if you can get it to enter EDL mode. If you can, then it should be the same (you'd have to get boot.img for your device, you can't use Max3's boot.img)
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #101
xxtraloud
Connoisseur
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

Device: DX
What are the biggest advantages you have all had by rooting your Max 3?
xxtraloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:46 AM   #102
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
I gotta say... I’m pretty excited to have found this thread. I have a Note 3 that I absolutely love, but keep WiFi off and don’t use it to its full potential because I hate that it constantly phones home. I was ready to just move on to something else since I didn’t think it could be rooted (so I can block that crap). Now I have hope.

Just making sure I’m not missing anything... instructions on post one will also apply to Note 3? I’m okay if I end up with a factory restore. I’ve backed up my notebooks. I can rebuild everything else.
Please let us know if you decide to root your Note 3 and how it went.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #103
mouth
mouth began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova 3
Boox Nova 3

I am trying to root my Boox Nova 3 and am looking for assistance. I discovered that I can place it in EDL mode by simply issuing the following terminal command via macOS:

Code:
$ adb reboot edl
From there, I can determine that the device is in EDL mode via both macOS and Windows 10.

The next step is backing up the boot and recovery images, and that is where I am hitting a snag. I downloaded the files in post #15 and from Windows ran the following command:

Code:
emmcdl.exe -p COM3 -f prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn -d boot -o boot.img
The response I receive is "Version 2.15" on the following line, and then on the line below that a blinking cursor.

It just sits there, and it doesn't appear that a boot.img file has been created in the folder where emmcdl.exe is housed. No error message that COM3 is inaccessible, or that there was an error connecting to the device.

Is the issue the prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn file I am using? I am lost and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mac_edl.png
Views:	543
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	184356   Click image for larger version

Name:	windows_edl.png
Views:	519
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	184357   Click image for larger version

Name:	response.png
Views:	531
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	184358  
mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #104
diabl0w
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth View Post
I am trying to root my Boox Nova 3 and am looking for assistance. I discovered that I can place it in EDL mode by simply issuing the following terminal command via macOS:

Code:
$ adb reboot edl
From there, I can determine that the device is in EDL mode via both macOS and Windows 10.

The next step is backing up the boot and recovery images, and that is where I am hitting a snag. I downloaded the files in post #15 and from Windows ran the following command:

Code:
emmcdl.exe -p COM3 -f prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn -d boot -o boot.img
The response I receive is "Version 2.15" on the following line, and then on the line below that a blinking cursor.

It just sits there, and it doesn't appear that a boot.img file has been created in the folder where emmcdl.exe is housed. No error message that COM3 is inaccessible, or that there was an error connecting to the device.

Is the issue the prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn file I am using? I am lost and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Well considering the Nova3 doesn't run a snapdragon 625, there is no reason to think that programmer file would work. Its not necessary anymore anyway now that we can download and decrypt updates, the link is a few posts back
Old 12-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #105
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
Well considering the Nova3 doesn't run a snapdragon 625, there is no reason to think that programmer file would work. Its not necessary anymore anyway now that we can download and decrypt updates, the link is a few posts back
What I said below is actually wrong, you don't need root to get the decryption keys

---
That's actually not 100% correct. Nova3 isn't supported by decryptor afaik. You need to first root the device to get the decryption keys, so someone has to do the honors with EDL

Last edited by Galunid; 12-31-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote