Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2015, 09:24 PM   #91
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@gong: Great . Still not quite sure of the exact amount of pixels hidden by the bezel, but at least we're closer to something exact .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:26 AM   #92
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Gong and NiLuJe, thank for your help and all the work you have done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@gong: Great . Still not quite sure of the exact amount of pixels hidden by the bezel, but at least we're closer to something exact .
I think for the present purpose the values are sufficiently close. How about a compromise of settling for 11 pixels? This would be somehow in tune with the H2O.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #93
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I guess the exact perfect settings for the Aura viewport will vary between units. For the record, my settings, with KSM 04+, are:

Code:
ksmGeometryValuesN=753x1007+1+3
ksmGeometryValuesS=753x1007+4+14
ksmGeometryValuesE=1007x753+14+1
ksmGeometryValuesW=1007x753+3+4
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #94
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I guess the exact perfect settings for the Aura viewport will vary between units. For the record, my settings, with KSM 04+, are:

Code:
ksmGeometryValuesN=753x1007+1+3
ksmGeometryValuesS=753x1007+4+14
ksmGeometryValuesE=1007x753+14+1
ksmGeometryValuesW=1007x753+3+4
Thank you Jellby! I am sorry for the time you had to spend to get those values. The cause of all the trouble is that I mistook at a certain point east for west, and west for east. After the update, the logic behind the geometry settings should be straight forward. My apologies also to all other people who struggled with these settings.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #95
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
@tshering
Hey! You're doing the best you can, so anyone can tell you when you have to upload a new version.
Thanks for your interest on improvement our kobo experience!
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #96
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The potentially per-device variance is what I'm hoping a nickel fbgrab would shed some light on, but that may just be pipe dreaming on my part... :}.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #97
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt it. That would mean that nickel had been calibrated for each unit specifically. This is a purely physical issue, there's no way the software can know about it without an explicit setting. I guess the Kobo way to deal with this is simply setting large enough margins.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #98
tshering
Wizard

Please install the update that is available in post #1.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #99
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Jellby: Possibly, which is what I'd like to confirm. Since the same was said of the H2O, while it's in fact very much a strict 11 pixels for everyone on those .
Old 02-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #100
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I did get some screenshots with fbgrab some time ago, and if I remember correctly they were 1024x758, and showed the edges that are covered by the bezel (and you can actually peek under it and see the screen). I know this is not a definitive answer, but I'm just giving another clue
Old 02-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #101
tshering
Wizard

Setting up a factory reset device

Today I decided to update my Kobo Touch C to FW 3.13.1 via wifi by using KSM's "kobo FW update.msh". Unfortunately, the update process did never finish, white screen and green blinking led for ages. I finally triggered a factory reset.

Since there are several ways to set up one's device, I describe how I did it for further reference in form of a how-to-do.
Spoiler:
  • update the Kobo FW to a recent version
    • opt for "set up the reader via computer"
    • update the kobo FW by side loading it (I settled for 3.12.0, so that I can still try the KSM kobo update option later)
  • install KSM07:
    • copy its KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo
  • install KSM07 updates:
    • copy all available KSM07_updateXXX.zip files to .adds\kbmenu (at the time of writing there is only one update file)
    • select "handle KSM update" > "install"
    • follow the instructions on the screen
  • bypass registration:
    • select "tools" > "kobo divers.msh" > "activate device.sh"
  • preparation for fmon:
    • start nickel
    • connect via usb to pc
    • copy kbmenupngs (from KBStartMenu_07.zip) to the user root of the device
    • safely eject and disconnect
    • open the pngs from the library
    • put the pngs into a collection
    • restart the device

On a side note: I tried again to install 3.13.1 via wifi by "kobo FW update.msh". This time it worked without any problem. Why it did not work the first time, I do not know. Presumably, the cause was something in the "history" of the device.

Last edited by tshering; 10-29-2015 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #102
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Please install the update that is available in post #1.
Just to ask, do you think it would be good to create full installation with included all patches so far, so new users don't need to install all files, but just one, latest one.

Incremental patches could serve those who already installed KSM and don't want to download full installation.

In my opinion that would be more comfortable version for new users.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #103
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Just to ask, do you think it would be good to create full installation with included all patches so far, so new users don't need to install all files, but just one, latest one.

Incremental patches could serve those who already installed KSM and don't want to download full installation.

In my opinion that would be more comfortable version for new users.
I would agree, if you mean to provide a current build with patches included, for a common development path. But - I would want to keep the ability to just add the patches that apply to my needs.

I think it's great that tshering is willing to create patches and scripts to address problems and preferences that users feel need addressing, even if they may only apply to a few, even though they are not something I need. What you are suggesting might complicate that.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #104
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
What you are suggesting might complicate that.
Not necessarily. I don't know what development tool tshering uses, but probably he have complete latest version and also needs to keep changed files for incremental patches.

The biggest problem might be for him to upload full versions, as they a bit big (it depends what internet connection he has).

And, certainly tshering does great job, not just with his KSM as software, but with his really excellent support to us users of KSM.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #105
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This works well! That said, is there any way to make the device boot straight to Nickel and launch Start Menu from Nickel?
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koreader/nickel, ksm 07