Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #91
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 AM   #93
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:16 AM   #94
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
@JSWolf: Exactly! Most of the time I don't read the bonus clips out of spite. Hahaha. I only do it for authors that I love. And on those times... the 'bonus' / marketing strategy definitely works for me because I find myself purchasing the next book.....
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #95
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is not wuite the same as when you see a few pages to go and run into those dreaded words"

'To be continued....'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #96
Demingy
Groupie
Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This is not wuite the same as when you see a few pages to go and run into those dreaded words"

'To be continued....'
I just finished reading a book that didn't even bother with "To be continued...." it just ended abruptly. I had to double check and make sure I wasn't missing some content.

I can tell you, with approximately 10% of the book remaining, the abrupt stop was very unexpected. Of course the 10% wasn't an excerpt from the next book (which would have been useful to see if the book really was meant to end like that since apparently the next book picks up exactly where this leaves off). Instead it included author bio, a couple pages of a listing of the author's other books, the table of contents, a page advertising the author's website, a page encouraging readers to follow the author on Goodreads, and inexplicably four or five blank pages followed by a page with just a link to the Amazon page for the book itself.
Demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #97
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demingy View Post
I just finished reading a book that didn't even bother with "To be continued...." it just ended abruptly. I had to double check and make sure I wasn't missing some content.

I can tell you, with approximately 10% of the book remaining, the abrupt stop was very unexpected. Of course the 10% wasn't an excerpt from the next book (which would have been useful to see if the book really was meant to end like that since apparently the next book picks up exactly where this leaves off). Instead it included author bio, a couple pages of a listing of the author's other books, the table of contents, a page advertising the author's website, a page encouraging readers to follow the author on Goodreads, and inexplicably four or five blank pages followed by a page with just a link to the Amazon page for the book itself.
Can't you tell when a story is drawing to a close without consulting the page counter? If not, it's the fault of the writing, not of the book layout.

Of course, if you spend your life reading self-published eBooks, you have only yourself to blame!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #98
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Actually, I did somewhat encounter that situation. It was a "FREE" book from B&N & J Patterson was the author; have never even considered even looking at another by Patterson since then.

The situation was that the "free" book went along just like a book until the last chapter; then the statement was to see the last chapter one must buy the book. I just deleted that book but sometimes it gets resurrected on my account's bookshelf.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #99
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Can't you tell when a story is drawing to a close without consulting the page counter? If not, it's the fault of the writing, not of the book layout.

Of course, if you spend your life reading self-published eBooks, you have only yourself to blame!
Sorry, but this happens with house-published books.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Actually, I did somewhat encounter that situation. It was a "FREE" book from B&N & J Patterson was the author; have never even considered even looking at another by Patterson since then.

The situation was that the "free" book went along just like a book until the last chapter; then the statement was to see the last chapter one must buy the book. I just deleted that book but sometimes it gets resurrected on my account's bookshelf.
You don't normally get a complete free eBook from Patterson. So don't blame the eBook for that one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #101
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
You don't normally get a complete free eBook from Patterson. So don't blame the eBook for that one.
No idea what Patterson "normally" does. If some authors tell the publishers that they don't want DRM embedded in their ebooks, then I believe that Patterson can very well say "just leave out the last chapter & you give the "book" away" as a sales gimmick.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #102
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Nevertheless, it should be mentioned that the ebook is incomplete. I'd consider torching the author's home if he tried pulling a stunt like that on me.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #103
Demingy
Groupie
Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post

My point was that in this case the writing was at fault - hence the "abrupt" ending. As mentioned above this can happen with traditional publishers as well, it isn't exclusive to self-publishing.

I'll admit that the majority of my library is self-published, yet oddly enough the majority of my library is well written.
Demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #104
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demingy View Post
My point was that in this case the writing was at fault - hence the "abrupt" ending. As mentioned above this can happen with traditional publishers as well, it isn't exclusive to self-publishing.

I'll admit that the majority of my library is self-published, yet oddly enough the majority of my library is well written.
A quick glance at the table of the contents usually cures all ignorance.

As far as the title goes: Bonus means extra. That's it.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #105
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Nevertheless, it should be mentioned that the ebook is incomplete. I'd consider torching the author's home if he tried pulling a stunt like that on me.
Isn't Patterson the one who clogs up the ebookstores with "FREE Preview First xx Chapters of ............" books?

I'd like to do something horrible to him simply for causing a mess... but it was clearly stated, was it not?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote