Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #91
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Fascinating. Thanks!
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #92
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'm a bit curious about how the Kindle works as well, I've been a bit tempted lately to pick up maybe a used Kindle just to take advantage of borrowing more books through Prime (for some stupid reason you can only use that feature if you download to a Kindle device, Kindle apps don't count at all). But I'm not sure how great the books are that they offer, and it's only 1 book a month max, if getting even a used Kindle would be worth it.
I suggest you get the OverDrive Link plugin for calibre, and use it to search for books by authors you have in calibre. It can search Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited, among others.

Any Kindle device-specific questions? Ask away.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #93
muse
Enthusiast
muse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with others

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
You mean the T1? and maybe the T2 as well? The T1's did start to freeze. Initially I thought it was due to rooting, but I don't think so now. Just Sony ****ed up.
Yeah. I'm referring to the T1. Not sure about the T2.

Pretty much I guess. Freezing seems very common among T1 users.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #94
muse
Enthusiast
muse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with others

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm pretty sure that it was 1.0.07. (It was the update that added the Kobo store.)
If you are still trying to unbrick it, follow the instructions from the link:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...C_sd_rescue.29

The SD rescue is made for older 01/02/03 firmwares but it worked for me.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I think Sony went to Android without providing the hardware to run it properly their T range were just too under powered and because of it crash prone.
I have to disagree here. I have a T1 and it does not crash. I do not have it rooted and it works well as is.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
You mean the T1? and maybe the T2 as well? The T1's did start to freeze. Initially I thought it was due to rooting, but I don't think so now. Just Sony ****ed up.
My T1 and my mother's T1 do not freeze. They work very well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #97
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
PRS-350 still perfect
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #98
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I suggest you get the OverDrive Link plugin for calibre, and use it to search for books by authors you have in calibre. It can search Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited, among others.

Any Kindle device-specific questions? Ask away.
I think I really needs hands on to see the differences. I suspect limitations have workarounds from dedicated users the same as Sony and Kobo have their share of tweaks/hacks/fixes. Today they have refurbished Paperwhites for $79 and it's tempting. But on the other hand, it would be just to test things on, download a monthly free book, it wouldn't be my main reader ever. So I'm wondering if it's even worth it for $79.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #99
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I think I really needs hands on to see the differences. I suspect limitations have workarounds from dedicated users the same as Sony and Kobo have their share of tweaks/hacks/fixes. Today they have refurbished Paperwhites for $79 and it's tempting. But on the other hand, it would be just to test things on, download a monthly free book, it wouldn't be my main reader ever. So I'm wondering if it's even worth it for $79.
$79 just to read a free book-a-month? Definitely not.

But surely you have a craving for more devices, by which you can justify the purchase. Plenty of people on multiple devices, usually they have a main reader and a travel reader or something... you can get the old Kindle Basic for $69 or find it refurbished, cheap(er) reader right there, or figure something else out.

Failing that, just say it will be a gift for someone.

Who knows. You may fall in love.
Gotta replace those aging Sonys somehow...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #100
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But surely you have a craving for more devices, by which you can justify the purchase.
Who knows. You may fall in love.
Gotta replace those aging Sonys somehow...
Definitely love playing with new toys as you said, and that might justify it. And I've also got Kobo Glos now because I really wanted the front light and not have to worry about carrying a light with me and extra batteries. But I definitely prefer epubs all the way, saves me a step in converting them again back to an Amazon format after I do corrections.

But in the end it would really be just a toy used once a month, or gifting it to someone. I'm trying to resist...

Edit: Resistance is futile... I caved and clicked before the offer ended today, it's still a good deal. I don't think I'll be sorry even if I end up just using it to download free books here and there. But the bad part is that it's a 2-3 week delivery, which I didn't notice until I received my email receipt.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-10-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #101
readerlover
Connoisseur
readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readerlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I have a PRS-300 that I've had for awhile now and I absolutely love it!! I'm reading a book on it right now and have 6 collections on it all organized by Calibre (the best thing since sliced bread)!!
readerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #102
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Me! Never going to give up my T3 or my 350. Even though I'm in the Honeymoon period with my Aura H20, my 350 goes everywhere with me. It just fits my hand perfectly. Love how I can thumb through the pages with the 350 in my left hand and my thumb on the button.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #103
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Still love my 650. I have a spare one, plus my wife has one (in use spare ). Also a couple of 350s.

Still like the ability to arrange the books on the Sony.

But it is harder to get books. B&N no longer allows you to DL books for sideloading. Kobo is selling books in formats that do not work on the PRS series.

Books-A-Million is one source. Or Amazon and converting the Mobi to EPub.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #104
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I love my 2 T3s and just bought 2 more refurbished @ $39.95
I loved all my Sonys.
4 may seem excessive, but I use the 2 I have already, switching back and forth, when I want a change of book without closing one. Another for this purpose will be great. And one for my backpack, so I don't forget to bring it.

Other readers are great, and I have had quite a few, but Sony is best for me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #105
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Where did you find the refurbished T3s please? I am looking for a T3 and cannot find one.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote