Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #91
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Since the beginning I'm pretty sure my time zone (Eastern) has always been an hour off, so I just set my date and clock manually.
Do you have daylight saving time set to manual or automatic. I have it set to automatic and it has the right time.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #92
prsmith
prsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Since the beginning I'm pretty sure my time zone (Eastern) has always been an hour off, so I just set my date and clock manually.
LauraPony,

I live just outside of Halifax - you should be in Atlantic not Eastern Time zone

P
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #93
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsmith View Post
LauraPony,

I live just outside of Halifax - you should be in Atlantic not Eastern Time zone

P
Oh. PFT. I knew that. Where is my head today? (I work with other time zones and often refer to Eastern.)

What I meant to say is that I ATLANTIC was an hour off when I first turned it on so I just left it in manual!

(I'm pregnant, so I am pulling the pregnancy brain card!)
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #94
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Okay, a couple of days ago I stopped turning off the Vox and just pushed the on/off button to put it in sleep mode. I didn't turn the WiFi off because I now had it set to turn itself off in sleep mode. The last couple of nights I even plugged in the charger overnight in sleep mode and the battery fully charged in the morning from less than half the night before.

This morning I used it just a little and the battery showed almost full when I put it in sleep mode. Just a few minutes ago this evening I tapped the on/off button and it didn't wake up. After pressing it for 10 seconds it booted up, but the battery was only half full! So, it looks like I'm having the same issues as the rest of you. Anybody who says they don't have the bug, just hasn't seen it yet.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #95
enzonov
enzonov began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I'm so confused. I always have my kobo vox in airplane mode except when i want to use the internet. I turn the vox off when I'm not using it. I've had no problems at all with this vox. Should I do the update? It seems like people are having more trouble after the udate then before it. Anyonefrom kobo care to advise??
enzonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #96
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzonov View Post
I'm so confused. I always have my kobo vox in airplane mode except when i want to use the internet. I turn the vox off when I'm not using it. I've had no problems at all with this vox. Should I do the update? It seems like people are having more trouble after the udate then before it. Anyonefrom kobo care to advise??
----------------------------------------
The update did not affect my Vox beyond its install, but....

I'm doing the same as you as my main M. 0.

1. When not using the Internet, have Wi-Fi turned off by widget or via menu and Airplane Mode. It only takes a tap or two to turn it on, so I really don't understand why anybody would want to keep the radios on?!?

2. If I an not anticipating (like night-stand reading/Internet use) usage, for at least half to three quarters of the day, I turn off the Vox completely.

With the above, I have not had the wake-up problems that others are reporting. I have also put the Vox to sleep mode and wake-up at any length of time interval, with no problems, but always I put the Vox into Airplane Mode before any attempt to put it to sleep. So far...no problems, no corruption, nothing. Let's hope that the Kobo team gets the reported bugs out, so a user can operate the Vox ANY WAY legitimately that he or she wants.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #97
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
I have also put the Vox to sleep mode and wake-up at any length of time interval, with no problems, but always I put the Vox into Airplane Mode before any attempt to put it to sleep. So far...no problems,
Same here. The only time it ever failed to wake up and I needed to use the 10 second press re-boot, I had left the WiFi on, configured to turn off when it went into sleep mode. It's still configured that way, but I turn WiFi off manually whenever I don't need it.

To the OP, I got my Vox on November 25 and it found and installed the update when I first started it. I had no reason to fear updating, since I hadn't been to this forum yet. It's likely that 95% of Vox owners just go ahead and use them and never search the Internet for forums or bugs. The same number probably also never read the manual and see what different presses of the power button do. I know when I first had it, if a short press didn't work, I just pressed it for a longer period until the device started up.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #98
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
I haven't used much Kobo Vox after the update, but it seemed to be working pretty well - no death in sleep.

Has anyone tried to install "Juice Defender" app? I forgot where I saw people suggesting it as a fix to WiFi/battery related problems - may be on this forum. This app can be tuned to only turn WiFi on for specific applications; presumably it also prevents it from starting while in a sleep mode. Anyway, I installed it yesterday, and I think it works as expected, no issues so far.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #99
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzonov View Post
I'm not from Kobo but I, like you, had no problems before the update. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. It's become a real nuisance.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #100
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
I haven't used much Kobo Vox after the update, but it seemed to be working pretty well - no death in sleep.

Has anyone tried to install "Juice Defender" app? I forgot where I saw people suggesting it as a fix to WiFi/battery related problems - may be on this forum. This app can be tuned to only turn WiFi on for specific applications; presumably it also prevents it from starting while in a sleep mode. Anyway, I installed it yesterday, and I think it works as expected, no issues so far.
Today. Even bought a license. It's not working for me - screen turns on, then it freezes using the settings hieronymous suggested using. Using the Advanced settings options to disable everything I can.

wilbrich - starting to feel the same way. It has a lovely screen, but of I can't turn the screen on to read, then it's no goo to me. Looking at the product replacement plan now, as they replace it with a gift card... And not being able to turn ot on is a problem.

Last edited by Haesslich; 12-04-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #101
saltyorange
saltyorange began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Next Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
First things first: this is a stability release focused on the wake-from-sleep issue. No new features, yet.

Please make sure you have determined whether you need the system patch app first before updating, and as always, a good wifi connection helps.

Other than that, let me know how it goes!

Happy updating.
Any word on when the next update is coming? The sleep and battery problems the most recent one has caused would, I hope, make the next one a high priority to get released.
saltyorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #102
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Today. Even bought a license. It's not working for me - screen turns on, then it freezes using the settings hieronymous suggested using. Using the Advanced settings options to disable everything I can.
Ouch. So it must have been something else I had been muddling around. Or pure luck. Hope you still enjoy the brightness, though :-/
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #103
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Ouch. So it must have been something else I had been muddling around. Or pure luck. Hope you still enjoy the brightness, though :-/

Hard to enjoy it with the screen constantly freezing or not turning on nat least this'll come in handy for the phone... especially with the location aware settings.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #104
Joey Ice Cream
Joey Ice Cream began at the beginning.

I've also installed the update but am continuing to have the same issues with not waking from sleep. I've tried wifi on and off before putting to sleep as well... no difference if it sleeps for more than an hour or so. I can't see why turning it on/off should be necessary - how many people turn off their computers when not in use? However, I haven't had any problems concerning the battery charging so I'm hesitant to exchange it in case the next one I get has both charging and sleep issues. I may end up returning it altogether at this point which is disappointing since I like many of the features.

PLEASE PLEASE Kobo, address this issue!!!
Joey Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #105
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Joey--if you have been reading the other threads, then you know that the problem is widespread and that Kobo is working on it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote