Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 03:25 AM   #91
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Why mix the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimwit View Post
My biggest beef is the overwhelming amount of titles stuck in the SF&F genre which I don't think belongs and it really pisses me off how many good titles of non vampire/werewolf/fantasy tropes aren't being published because of this crap.
What annoys me is the mixing of SF and Fantasy. I know that Heinlein wrote Glory Road, but really, I think that he and Campbell and Asimov and Clarke would be appalled at way SF and Fantasy are thrown together nowadays. Personally, I love the Twilight books, but I keep them mentally separated from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #92
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Look, it's either the vampires, the Christians, or the self-improvers - which one would you rather have?
I now note the damn cooks and lovers are ganging up on us............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #93
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
What annoys me is the mixing of SF and Fantasy. I know that Heinlein wrote Glory Road, but really, I think that he and Campbell and Asimov and Clarke would be appalled at way SF and Fantasy are thrown together nowadays. Personally, I love the Twilight books, but I keep them mentally separated from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

I agree 100% - except the twilight part - genre mixing between SF & fantasy drive me bonkers. If you regularly read the genres there is an obvious and huge difference between the two.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #94
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
Not to turn this into a library thread but this is the main criticism I have about libraries and particularily the Overdrive service. The main point of a library isn't the volumes, it's the organization. Lumping everything into a catchall category is doing everyone a disservice. Being able to find what you are looking for is the prime reason we need libraries. Otherwise you get what we have now, a ton of books, all marked for the same category and a massive disappointment.
I'm quite sure that there's very confused people out there where you go into the stacks and come back saying there's nothing to read but damn vampire novels and all they can see are miles of books.
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #95
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
I've just finished Justin Cronin's "The Passage" and though the infected seem to have more in common with zombies, they are also related to vampires. They're also very confused about who they are, but are incapable of philosophical debates.
I finished this a couple of days ago. Loved the return to old-fashioned monsters. These vampires don't want to date you; they're driven to rip you apart and drink you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
What annoys me is the mixing of SF and Fantasy.
This is the most bothersome aspect of The Passage. Oh well.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #96
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, there's three kinds of mixing:
1- marketing/organizational which can lead to one picking up or buying a book expecting something entirely different. Bad, very bad.

2- confused writing and/or editing. Stories that start out as one and meander into the other or that just can't make up their mind. That's just bad writing.

3- Then there's intentional genre mixing. For, Larry Niven's Svetz stories (Flight of the horse, etc) proposes, quite reasonably, that if Time Travel is impossible by known physics, then any time travel story is by definition fantasy. Of course, his time traveller doesn't know this. So his "past-time" encounters with witches and unicorns, ghosts and assorted monsters keep biting him in the rear.

Me, I tend to think of crossovers/mashes as outright fantasy. Period. Want to pit vampires against alien invaders (as David Weber tried and failed to pull off?) no problem. Want to mix space adventurers against alien vampires (as C.L. Moore's Shambleau successfully did?) fine by me.

Each genre has its conventions and its rules. Good writers honor them.

In fantasy anything goes; sparkly vamps or blood-curdling Lovecraftian horrors. I'll cheerfully buy anything that's well-enough written. I don't mind SF elements in my fantasy. Just don't put fantasy elements into a story and try to pass it as SF. Because that suggests you don't know what SF is or you don't know what is science and what is urban legend. And at that point it just becomes bad writing.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #97
AuthorJethroFord
AuthorJethroFord began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think it's because they have a lot of sex.
AuthorJethroFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #98
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Bookstore mixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Each genre has its conventions and its rules. Good writers honor them.

In fantasy anything goes; sparkly vamps or blood-curdling Lovecraftian horrors. I'll cheerfully buy anything that's well-enough written. I don't mind SF elements in my fantasy. Just don't put fantasy elements into a story and try to pass it as SF. Because that suggests you don't know what SF is or you don't know what is science and what is urban legend. And at that point it just becomes bad writing.
I think that mixing is one of the problems bookstores bring on themselves. After a while, I got tired of searching through the Borders stacks, trying to find a hard SF in the midst of all the fantasy. It made things especially hard for new, true SF writers.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:32 AM   #99
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Yep. Just got the real reason why my fantasy genre loving 18 year old daughter went to see the new Twilight movie last night.

Taylor Lautner's six pack.

So now the truth is revealed...
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #100
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I agree 100% - except the twilight part - genre mixing between SF & fantasy drive me bonkers. If you regularly read the genres there is an obvious and huge difference between the two.

The late Anne McCaffrey mixed them a bit in her Pern books.

I blame another Ann, Rice, for starting the emo vampire thing and Stephanie Meyer, of course, for fueling that fad.

The British Being Human is much better than Twilight, IMHO. A hot Irish vampire with black hair? Yes, please.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blade, true blood, twilight, vampires