Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #91
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
There are, everywhere in the world, annoying people, frustrating people, and downright crazy people who wear their underpants on their heads. Offline, I ignore those people (or nod and back slowly away, if necessary). I do not choose to spend my leisure time interacting with them. Why should I not be able to do this online? How is interacting with them improving my forum experience or anyone else's? At best, I'll get into a flamewar with one of them, which according to most people here, they don't want to see. So what's the point?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #92
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
There are, everywhere in the world, annoying people, frustrating people, and downright crazy people who wear their underpants on their heads. Offline, I ignore those people (or nod and back slowly away, if necessary). I do not choose to spend my leisure time interacting with them. Why should I not be able to do this online? How is interacting with them improving my forum experience or anyone else's? At best, I'll get into a flamewar with one of them, which according to most people here, they don't want to see. So what's the point?
I find it somewhat surprising that we are being chastised for doing what makes us happier less obnoxious members of the forum
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #93
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I find it somewhat surprising that we are being chastised for doing what makes us happier less obnoxious members of the forum
Well, some want everyone else to function as they do, I guess. Personally, I think that "ignore user" should be a last resort, and used only for those trolls who tend to push your personal buttons. Right now I have only one person on my ignore list. Not reading his posts keeps my experience here positive, and helps me focus on real discussions. At some point I'll likely take him off ignore, and see if he's still an annoyance worthy of it. If he is, he'll go back on ignore and stay there. But it will be a while before that re-test. IME from other fora, I find at least a 4-6 month ignore is a minimum for me. (And I acknowledge that at least some of the responsibility is my own, but this is my way of dealing with that portion. Back off and leave alone!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:38 AM   #94
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I must be naive. I had no idea there was so much ignoring going on. I don't have a problem with it, it's a human right to ignore. I just didn't realize it was such a popular sport.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #95
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I must be naive. I had no idea there was so much ignoring going on. I don't have a problem with it, it's a human right to ignore. I just didn't realize it was such a popular sport.
Those who say they use the ignore function said it is for one or two people (same here, two people). I think it is a very low number in a board as big as this and considered only part of us engages in this "sport" as you put it.

It shows we get along with each other quite well, doesn't it?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #96
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Those who say they use the ignore function said it is for one or two people (same here, two people). I think it is a very low number in a board as big as this and considered only part of us engages in this "sport" as you put it.

It shows we get along with each other quite well, doesn't it?
Of course, the other possibility is to actually ignore what one finds offensive/pointless/gratuitous, rather than "virtually" ignoring them, or getting the forum settings to do it for you.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #97
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Of course, the other possibility is to actually ignore what one finds offensive/pointless/gratuitous, rather than "virtually" ignoring them, or getting the forum settings to do it for you.
Far too dangerous! I'd end up reading it anyway because I'm nosy. Nah, as there is a tech solution for this I go for it.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #98
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Far too dangerous! I'd end up reading it anyway because I'm nosy. Nah, as there is a tech solution for this I go for it.
Well, you can always just take peek - and then pretend you haven't.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #99
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Nah, as there is a tech solution for this I go for it.

TGS
Sparing one moment of my time on deciding whether to to read or not to read is giving the offender a control of me and my time. The offender is not worth it. Not worth of testing my willpower whether I can or cannot restrain myself from reading the post or whether I can stay calm and don't care (really don't care as I have mentioned above, not just telling myself that I don't care). Far easier to ignore the bastard.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #100
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Well, you can always just take peek - and then pretend you haven't.
It is a self deception. I am not doing it for the offender (to show that I don't read the offender's post), I am doing it for my peace of mind. The offender is not worth my emotion and time investment.

Last edited by astra; 05-14-2011 at 08:33 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #101
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
It is a self deception. I am not doing it for the offender (to show that I don't read the offender's post), I am doing it for my peace of mind. The offender is not worth my emotion and time investment.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #102
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post

The whole point is to enjoy this forum, and enjoy the discussions here. It's not that I couldn't manage the ignore internally, but what is gained by that? A troll is a troll is a troll. And by ignoring his (notice it's almost always "his"?) posts, I can focus my time and energy on the positive.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #103
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Do the people on ignore know that they are? I assume that they don't, so I shouldn't even be hurting their feelings...

Life's too short to bother with trolls if you don't have to.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #104
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #105
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Four times ditto, does that make it octo?